Brains, Laserbeak, and Steeljaw: Why aren't they HA Basics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Anguirus, May 3, 2011.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm starting to get really pumped for the HA Basic line. For a low price they are basically Minicons for scale junkies (like me). They are being relatively smart with the vehicle modes, and they really seem to shine as weapons for Leader class Transformers (bit of a waste not to see a 'con Leader yet, but that's beside the point).

However, what's holding me back from buying most of them is that none of them, robot or human, are movie characters (at least it seems really unlikely that any are at this stage of the game). The robots don't even really look like movie characters. A few of the humans have homage-y names, which I do appreciate.

What's most maddening is that several of the movie Transformers seem absolutely perfect for this size class, and yet they are kept out of it. Even if you have to get creative with the altmode (as Hasbro often does) the toy could really shine. Examples:

Brains: He has *no* toy yet. He's a small character, but apparently bigger than Wheelie (who doesn't quite work for this concept). He's got a close relationship with at least one human (Sam). C'mon, let's do this. I have no idea what his other modes are though, maybe he ends up too big.

Laserbeak: He's getting his own Deluxe, and he's probably also an accessory for HA Soundwave. This is obviously a big name as far as Transformers go, and he'll have a big role in the movie. For pete's sake, why not use him to pimp your brand-new high-concept line of small Transformers that interact with bigger Transformers? Especially with an HA Deluxe Soundwave? Even weirder, Deluxe Laserbeak's design lets him interact with Leaders with the right kind of holes (Leader Starscream), but he's a little big and awkward. An HA Basic would be perfect. 2 or 3 of his modes could be garbage folded-over bird and it would still be perfect.

Steeljaw: I guess this is more of a stretch, he's not as big a name (still bigger than Icepick) and being an accessory lets him stick to only getting two modes right. Still, it would at least get him his own toy and keep interaction with bigger Autobots. Name his squishie Blackrock for extra fanboy lulz.

Arcee: She's a motorcycle, which I won't buy at Deluxe size. Her human could be her holo-rider. And my god, her design makes it trivial to get a gun mode out of her. Redeco her twice and I'd probably get them all. (I don't have any of the accessory versions.)

Ravage: Well you probably saw this coming. The idea of Soundwave dual-wielding Ravage and Laserbeak makes me squirm. And how's this for his HA rider: Reedman!

Insecticon: Hasbro, you already pretended this guy was big enough to take on Bumblebee in your bio, so why not? Who cares who the human is, he's bad-ass enough to ride a giant bug around. Plenty of room to be creative with the modes.

Thoughts?

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Brains may get a toy in later waves.
    Laserbeak or Ravage (or both?)could be the Human Alliance partner for Soundwave.
    Steeljaw could use an update.
    Insecticon's scout toy is good as it is.
    Arcee would be good, but I'm fine with the deluxe.

3. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Well, who knows? Maybe we'll get Laserbeak as a pack with HA Deluxe Soundwave. I don't think his vehicle mode constitutes as some thing that can be driven, though, and since the majority of the character's you've listed have been confirmed for the movie or are mvoie characters, they kind of don't fit in the HA basic category. HA Basic is essentially original characters.

4. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As I observed above.

I noticed that, but there is no apparent reason why this should be the case.

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Dunno, I think Laserbeak might work best as legends. Legends Ravage was super-cool. His altmode can still interact with deluxe or HA-sized Soundwave.

6. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like the ha basic line the way it is

7. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He doesn't really look like a gun or anything though.

I'd be all over a Cyberverse Legion Laserbeak, in all likelihood. However, my impression from the trailer is that he might be a bit bigger than Ravage. Certainly his altmode (from the Deluxe class) looks like it ought to be huge, but that's not in the film.

8. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    I totally agree with you. I can't believe Hasbro/Takara are still making deluxe-class motorcycles that are as big as cars. That annoys me to no end! :banghead: 

9. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They do it cause they dont have to be a certain size. They're whatever they want.

10. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    We already have an HA Arcee, it came with HA Skids.

11. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Again, I mentioned that in my original post. Since when has that stopped Hasbro though? There are already three different versions of Arcee, let alone her sisters.

However, I would buy HA Basics like crack if they featured "name" characters from the movie. I was wondering if anyone felt the same way, and generally find the fact that HA Basics are totally devoid of any connection to the film curious. Even the Scouts had Ejector, Scalpel, and Insecticon.

12. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Legends Arcee is your friend.

13. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    I was saying the HA Arcee is Basic sized already.

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ That's as may be (you didn't actually say that, but whatever) but she's still budgeted as an accessory to Skids. The size is right, fine, but it would also be fun to see it as a $10 three-mode robot with a holo-avatar figure. Potentially.

Also, I don't want to buy Skids.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

She's a girl, and Hasbro STILL thinks girl characters don't sell as well as man figures.

I honestly can not disagree more. I'll probably try to go completionist on the molds for the HA basics because none of them are in the movie. My reasoning is that because the designers don't have to try and replicate over-complicated transformation schemes, the toys are much better overall. Just look at most of the RotF Scouts. ALL of them kicked ass except Scalpel, who is easily the worst scout of the line and yet also the only one to be really featured in the movie (Ejector is an exception since he's not really movie-accurate). This extends to the HftD new mold scouts, who ALL were awesome BECAUSE they weren't based on CGI designs (Insecticon being the exception this time, but again not all that movie accurate).

The fact the HA basics AREN'T in the movie allows them to get away with being more blocky and less over-detailed, concentrating on FUN factor. No movie appearance also makes them great blank slates for me to make up my own characterizations of what the robot personalities are like, which for me is one of the best parts of no-media characters. Plus, the fact they can also act as "targetmaster" like armaments is a bonus as I can't wait to put the Whirl-railgun on my WfC Cliffjumper.

16. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ That's a different perspective, and I appreciate it. I just have a harder time buying figures when they are blank slates.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to take away any of the guys coming out now, I think they are cool. I just don't see the harm of cross-pollinating with actual movie characters.

17. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    I just want a Legends Arcee that looks normal.