Boy raped in Department Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Aug 22, 2012.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    BBC News - Boy raped at Manchester Debenhams after Arndale Centre abduction

Wait, WTF? This happened at around 5:45 in the evening, in a busy shopping part of Manchester, surrounded by people going about their business?

He could have just styarted shouting or something, 'THESE MEN ARE TRYING TO ABDUCT ME!'

Something about this doesn't smell kosher to me.

2. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is very odd indeed.

3. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I like it when journalists posts the obvious "Supt Stuart Ellison, of Greater Manchester Police, said the boy was 'traumatised' ", well no shit....I feel bad for the kid, these 2 men should be raped by a horses dong and see how it feels, absolutely disgusting how some people act.

4. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Why would a man want to rape a boy? Gay? Fucking ew.

5. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

Oh god more rape stories in the news

6. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I didn't post it because it was a rape story, I posted it because it makes absolutely no sense to me. At no point did the boy think to cry out, do a runner or anything in crowded streets/stores.

My guess is he thought this was an easy way to make some quick cash that turned nasty or something.

I dunno. I need to know more, otherwise I guess he's an idiot.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In the sexual assault of a minor, you're picking on the fact that it was a male-on-male attack? Come on, son.

And to the OP, people react to that kind of situation differently. Not everyone has the presence of mind under that kind of duress to scream or draw attention to themselves, especially under intimidation (and possibly a very real threat of violence) that wasn't really alluded to in the article (which doesn't say much, frankly). A lot of people, especially shy people, just shut down in that kind of situation, and are too scared to scream or risk reprisal from their attackers. It's some pretty harsh victim-blaming to imply (or at least, that's what I got off your post) that the victim is somehow partly responsible for this situation because they didn't act in a certain way during the attack. Would you say the same if it was a young female victim, instead of a male?

8. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

It took place on 2 June so if the Police didn't think it was kosher they wouldn't have gone public with it. Rape is a crime many of us have this stylised vision of and if it’s not perpetrated from start to finish with violence and struggle it doesn’t fit the criteria – it’s a common misconception.

It’s a disturbing story, not least as it’s an area I’ve passed through many a time. Nice mugshots though, shouldn’t be long before they’re both getting to indulge their passion at Her Majesty’s pleasure.

9. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

I totally agree with this.

Rape is that one crime where society has dreamt into life this idea that there are worthy victims and unworthy victims. In the case of rape, victimhood is universal, regardless of any factor that may or may not have contributed to their assault. It's like saying that a rape victim isn't a rape victim unless there was a fight for their lives, and unless the victim behaved or reacted in a particular, and socially sanctioned way.

This boy was raped, he was violated and abused and afforded no right to his own autonomy.

I am glad that his rapists were caught, and I pray that the boy gets adequate support as he deals with the fallout of what happened to him.

10. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Wow. And no one noticed...

11. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

wow, i'm really starting to lose my faith in humanity

12. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Wow these guys need to be found and dropped in a hole. I don't care what anyone says the violation of rape is one of worst crimes to come to terms with. Christ what is this world coming to?

13. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    This, your aren't save anywere it seems.

14. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well my wife tells me my empathy bone is sorely lacking. I just can't imagine this kind of situation where simply shouting wasn't an option. To me it seems amazing that those two perverts picked probably the one person for miles around who wouldn't kick up a fuss while they're effectively being kidnapped.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Hmm...trolling...or just plain dumb?

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    This is terrible. What bothers me the most about this story though is that the kid was apparently raped in public? And no one noticed? It's sad. What bothers me more is that in a situation like this there is a VERY real possibility that someone did notice and DID NOTHING.

I feel bad for this kid. Hopefully he gets the help he needs to deal with the trauma that has been caused by these perps. Glad they were caught as well.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't feel two men capable of such a horrible deed are really humanities best representatives. Try considering the billions of people who would never fathom doing this.

18. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

oh brother

19. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

It could be possible that some kind of weapon was involved and that detail is being left out either by accident or on purpose. Or there is more we do not get from the story.

Regardless this is beyond horrific. Humanity sickens me more and more.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's more common than you'd think to just shut down in a situation like that, provided the coercion was considered enough of a threat by the victim. I've heard plenty of personal accounts of people who suffered similar assaults unable to fight back or scream, paralysis/inability to resist due to fear is a very real thing. Think about what happens during the shootings we keep hearing about, we've heard things like "why didn't they fight back?" in threads on this very board. How the human mind reacts in intense situations like these doesn't always follow what we would consider rational lines of thought. The idea that all, or even most sexual assaults are met with physical resistance is a myth (and a pervasive one, given it's currently the topic of a national political discourse), and a myth that contributes to victim-blaming and a tendancy to not report sexual assault.

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Resistance_to_Sexual_Assault__Who_Resists_and_What_Happens.pdf

Here's a paper that found that, for both genders, as many as 25% of victims surveyed said they offered no resistance, and that yelling was actually less common as a form of resistance than physical resistance (which still was only 23%).

It's not a simple issue, however, and the complexities make it even more sad and terrifying. The results in the study I posted may be obscured by the fact that the vast majority of sexual assaults are perpetrated by someone the victim is familiar with, rather than a stranger (as in this story). As a result, many attempts and assaults go unreported, both out of fear of reprisal, fear of being disbelieved, and fear of being shamed. You asked how the suspects could have picked out the one possible victim that would have yielded this result. Even discounting the statistics I posted above, there's no assurances this was their first attempt, or even their first successful attempt. Even if a previous victim did raise an alarm, there's no reason to assume they would be helped, or the incident reported to the police.

Bystander effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It could also be that the victim had been observed previously by the suspects, or that their methods had been honed through practice. Putting the blame on the victim, even in an offhanded way, for an attack by someone else is not just unempathetic, it's an attitude that allows criminals to go unpunished.