Boy, am I nostalgic for 90's toons.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by SpencimusPrime, Sep 19, 2009.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Other than the obviously more adult based shows (some of those have been around a while i.e. South Park, Family Guy, King of the Hill, and of course, an oldie but a goodie, the Simpsons) there hasn't been a lot of Really good Mainstream cartoons lately. MOST, obviously not all, of the new shows I watch are all lacking.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

A lack of quality mainstream cartoons has always been the rule rather than the exception. Look at the ones you listed, with the exception of South Park all of those are Fox cartoons. I really can't remember any of the other major channels ever having mainstream cartoons. ABC tried The Goode Family this year, and flopped horribly. I do miss the heyday of cartoons in the 80s/early 90s before cable-tv stole away the audience.

3. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What about the late 80's/90's kids cartoons? Most of those were great growing up like:

Reboot
    Batman the animated series
    Thundercats
    Battle of the planets
    Dragonball
    The mask
    Animaniacs
    Swat Kats
    Aladdin the animated series
    and so on and so forth.

4. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Me too, I'd give anything for all the "reality T.V." crap to die a horrible death.

5. smkspy

I'm pretty sure the young adults during the 90s were calling most of the cartoons that were created back then crap too. Tis the effect of growing up, and no longer identifying with whatever crap is put out there.

With the exception of Batman, Thundercats, and Animanics; I wouldn't call any of those 'mainstream'. Even then, they're pretty much forgotten about outside of the general geekdom. Don't get me wrong, I loved those cartoons from my childhood and teen years, but I think we really over-estimate their cultural impacts. They're blips on the screen, to be forgotten about once we grow up. Fortunately, for us, we can't let go of our childhoods.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Mummies Alive and The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest were magnificent cartoons.

7. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

Other than TMNT and X-Men I really can't remember any cartoons from the 90's sticking out in my mind. The 80's on the other hand had He-Man, Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., and Thundercats that immediately come to mind.

Edit: almost forgot about Gargoyles... arguably the best 'toon of the 90's IMO.

8. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mighty Max gloriously obliterated the innocence of children when it turned grimdark. (srsly)

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Wow, good call. Mummies Alive, so goofy a concept but really well done and fun to watch.

I've been on a Bionic Six kick lately, downloaded a packet of it, they need to put this out on dvd damnit.

10. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Mummies Alive was a fun show to watch. I even managed to snag one of the DVDs a few years back.

I'll never forget Blazing Dragons. I loved that cartoon, and really wish they would release it on DVD.

11. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never said they had a cultural impact, I never even said there were good, but that I loved them and wondered if he had fond memories of them. I probably couldn't stomach episodes of Street Sharks, Big Bad Beetleborgs, or Mighty Ducks but when I was a kid I couldn't get enough of them.

Now I will most definitely say the Reboot was mainstream. It was a big part of the Toonami block back then and are still supported by fans in a revival project even now. Plus you do not have to be a geek to know about them, I remember kids shows about were trucks and biker mice but that hardly defines me as a geek.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Exosquad was one of the greatest cartoons of the 90s.

Oh god yes. And the series finale was just cruel.

13. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a few exceptions to modern cartoons. Shows like Spectacular Spiderman, Transformers Animated and Avatar the last airbender are good in comparison to most others.

14. smkspy

I never said that. I said the geekdom holds on to these cartoons alot more than your average person. We're all more inclined to remember and seek them out, whereas your average adult will just have those vague memories.

Thanks for reminding me about Biker Mice from Mars though, I hadn't thought about that cartoon in forever.

15. star_ling

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see what you mean, but isn't more fair just to refer to them as "fans"? Geek feels pretty harsh. :lol 

Yeah me and brothers were drawn to all the anthropomorphic animal teams. TMNT, Street Sharks, Extreme Dinosaurs, Dinosaucers, Gargoyles, Samurai Pizza Cats, and the one with the cowboys that were actually bulls. They made so little sense but were so awesome.

16. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cowboys of moomesa

17. smkspy

Fan is just too general a term, IMO. Geekdom is definitely more appropiate for little subculture. Besides, these days, nothing wrong with being a geek. Now nerd on the other hand...

18. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Yes. Oh hell yes.

And no to mention War Planets/Shadow Raiders, Weird-Ohs (yes, it was made by Mainframe) and Bots Master. Anyone remember the M.A.S.K. wannabe series Vor-Tech?

19. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eek the cat and the terrible thunder lizards, the tick(SPOON!) Silverhawks, bobbys world(hey bob-o)

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    agreed today's cartoons are crap I long for the cartoons of the 1980s and 90s and when i first saw mummies alive i was like wtf? did some one fuse power rangers and king tut? but serious it was a good cartoon