Boy, 9, rides US subway alone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Jun 12, 2008.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7449795.stm

Thoughts?

My main thinking is travelling alone isn't that much of a big deal? I'm not sure on the details, but if the kid has been on the subway before, knows the route, does it during daylight hours and wants to do it... is it such a big deal?

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Worst mom? What about the women who drowned her 5 kids, or the women who wouldn't feed her baby because she was too busy playing video games. How about the mom who gave birth and drowned her newborn in a toliet.

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Agreed... there are worse moms out there. [cough]Brittney Spears[/cough]

Would I let my kid do that? Hell no! I'd like to know a little more of the background before jumping to worst mom status.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    QFT.

Bad mom? Yes. Worst mom? Are you kidding?

5. Sideways

Sideways Banned

honestly it doesnt bother me at all.. i was 10 when i flew to Greece...by myself...

6. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Meh, whoever uploaded that to BBCnews was very bored. Careless & negligent mom? Yes. Worst? FAaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from it.

Though, I"m surprised the boy survived the at times smelly cabs (from my experience anyways).:lol 

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think the bad part is a kid can't be out in public with out people assuming something horrible is going to happen to him.

8. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As user of NYC for almost 20 years, 3 stops isn't a big deal. If you speak English and have a map? Come on. I mean, his risk of danger is as great as traveling anywhere with his mom.

Does NYC have such a negative rep overseas? I've traveled all over and I can't imagine it being worse than any other metro city.

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    If it were in a small city or town, I wouldn't see a lot of problem with it, I traveled all over the place as a kid in places like that.

But New York, on a major transportation system?? I'd slap that woman upside the head! Not the worst mom - but pretty damn stupid. Wait until the kid is at least 13 before allowing such risks. Nine is still able to be easily overpowered by most people.

--Moony

10. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

I see the mom's view here, in letting him have an independent experience. That shows a lot of trust in the child, and in the city. I wouldn't let the child do it all the time, but I'd let him every once in a while.

I like how she says she's giving her son the chance to be a kid, which is also good. I hear about kids whose lives are so filled with things like swim meets, classes for a musical instrument, or so many other things that they don't get the chance to just screw around in the yard, waving sticks around and pretending they're a knight or a soldier or something.

I can also see the other points, as there are bad people out there. But I worked a paper route for several months, in the early hours of the morning. It was dark, and I frequently expected someone to jump out and grab me or something for a while. And in the entire time I did that job, nothing happened to me.

I say, if she trusts her son enough that she will let him walk a few blocks home from a store or from school, then that's fine. Is she the worst mom ever? No, not by a long shot.

11. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Nah, its the mom that wrapped her adopted son so tightly that he died, and scared her kids so much that one crapped in her bed because she was scared of the mom and was forced to eat it

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I remember reading an article on this, a while back. I really don't see the problem. To me, it's a lot healthier for the kid, than coddling and sheltering him, untill you have an adult that's totally incapable of operating in the real world.

I doubt that the odds of "Something Terrible" happening to him, were much different than the odds of "Something Terrible" happening, when he was with his mother.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Jesus, at least he's in the same city. At 13 I was pootling around all over the country on my own.

ON PUBLIC TRANSPORT!

THE HORROR.

Get a fucking grip.

14. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read a book about a families experience living in Japan and it was common place for twelve year olds to take the train to disney in tokyo. Worst mom is a real stretch.

15. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Pfft. There are WAY worse moms out there. Like the moms that let their kids buy M-rated video games.

16. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

you know by the 9 I walked to school(10min walk) every morning, by 13 I walked alll THE WAY to school and back- took me 45 minutes but I saved like 20 bucks weekly so thats what make it worthy for me.

to add by 15 I knew more or less how to go EVERYWHERE in mexico city.

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    In a small town no one would see him being taken away. In NYC there are more people so less chance of an attack. It's not like he was out jogging in Central Park past midnight.
    That is just my thought on it.

18. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    This is just sad. There are far worse parents in the world.

19. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    In a small town, everyone knows everyone else and also knows their business. Anything even vaguely unusual happening gets noticed, even if its something as simple as a strange stray dog showing up. I knew a few guys years ago who thought they'd get away with 'blending in' in a small town in the middle of the night after leading police on a three county chase, but no dice as someone immediately spotted them, recognized they didn't belong there and called the sheriff. Boy, their sergeant wasn't happy with having to bail those bozos out.

However, in a city of 8 million people its far easier to become anonymous because you're just one in a crowd of millions. Millions of people who usually don't want to 'get involved'. Whereas people who live in small towns and know their neighbors are more likely to care and get involved when someone needs help. I sure as heck have seen ten times the charity here in the tiny town of 200 I live in than I EVER saw in any city I lived in.

--Moony

20. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Five. Five dollar. Five dollar footlong!