Boxes and boxes and boxes!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ByteBack, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    As a Masterpiece collector, I'm finding myself in the situation where the boxes, especially for some of the larger MP figures (Ultra Magnus, Soundwave etc.) are taking up quote a bit of space. And for some reason, I'm loathe to throw the boxes out, not least because the provide a useful way to organise and store any extra accessories that come with the figures.

So what does my fellow collectors do with all those boxes? Toss them in recycling? Store them? Something else?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hate to throw away boxes, hell I hate to throw anything away, but It's starting to see m like a third of the space of my collection is taken up by boxes.

With modern Hasbro figures I now toss everything except the instructions.

But when I buy an older figure that happens to have the box it's annoying because I feel, well I shouldn't throw it away, but no-one would buy it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. fanbase0000

fanbase0000 Well-Known Member

When I started to recollect Transformers almost 4 years ago I kept all the boxes but storage space added up really quickly. Then I threw away the legends and deluxe packages. Now I throw away all the packaging except for the big box sets like CW Devastator or CW Victorian.

4. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i just throw it away.

5. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Mostly harmless.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I get rid of most, unless they're particularly nice. Things like MP boxes, box sets and the like get kept, along with a few Japanese boxes like EX Prime from Transformers GO. Most mainline stuff goes in the recycling.

I am still having a debate about what to do with the SDCC Fort Max box. Part of me wants to keep it, but I really haven't got anywhere to put it!

6. Chris Bot

Chris Bot AutoChrisbot

News Credits:
    I only keep MP boxes. They look nice, and as mentioned they're handy to store all the accessories. You really gonna throw away MP Megatron's box? I hope you at least keep the plastic trays to hold all of his crap. MP36 has a lot of crap, oh my goodness.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I think they could make the boxes more compact.

• Like Like x 1
  8. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I really only keep the boxes where the figure can easily be repacked if need be such as the Takara MP boxes. I used to keep other larger boxes like the TR box sets and Titans but I ended up having to toss those out for room. I also do not keep the smaller packages for Voyagers, Deluxes, Legends, or PM/TMs. Essentially if I would have to retie the figure in its tray with twist ties again, out it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    I flatten them out and then put them all in 1 bigger box

• Like Like x 4
  10. ByteBack

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I'm pretty much of the same mind - MP Soundwave for example, could have been a much smaller box if the figure was shipped in alt-mode. In facr, when I brought it back from Japan, I found that the box wouldn't fit in my luggage and had to throw away the plastic insert and flatten out the box.

The same goes for a lot of the larger MP figures. The box for MP Ultra Magnus is just huge because it comes shipped in bot mode, and there's no need for it. I guess somebody at Tomy Takara thought that they couldn't ask the prices they ask if the boxes were too small or something.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PGaither84

PGaither84 Just a guy

As my small collection has grown, for my Hasbro CHUG figures, I am throwing out the blister plastic and keeping the card bacj with product information so it can be stored easily.

For MP boxes and Takara legends, I have kept them so far.

With the popularity of old school metal lunch boxes, I actuall bought one where I keep zip lock sandwhich bags of accessories which do not/cannot store well on the figure.

I know how in 10 years time, I will be thankful to myslef for it.

I agree with others and that I will eventually have to untape and flatte boxes eventually.

12. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After couple days,same.

13. ByteBack

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I was considering the same thing earlier today as it happens. My only worry is possibly scratching any translucent plastic parts, but even then, I could just use plastic-wrap to prevent that from happening.

But then I thought "How can I throw out those really pretty boxes!? They're so sturdy and well made - they were designed to be kept!".

And that's when I made this thread...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  14. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

Sounds like you're torn between space issues and keeping them. Why not compromise: get rid of the plastic trays (they eventually turn yellow anyway, even if they are kept MISB), keep the accessories in ziplock baggies and organized in drawers/shelf for easy access and flatten the boxes into a scrapbook-like collection? Not sure but I think there are those gigantic binders used to keep movie posters etc...

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not in the "investment" or "buy to sell" group, but you never know either where life takes you or simply where your interests shift towards instead. With loose figures, people expect you to sell them at a discount, and selling can be tough enough as is. Additionally, a package box provides a form of built-in storage.

I know this is a different way of looking at things, but that's why I felt compelled to post the above.

For my collection, I prefer boxed items anyways for some if the reasons above, but also the box is part of the experience for me as a collector. This is especially true for vintage items. The packages are marvels in and of themselves. Masterpiece has a very classy design aesthetic to its boxes, remaining mostly consistent for over a decade.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

I keep all the boxes. My mom and I usually move every two years, so I've learned to keep the packaging. If I run out of space, I'll move stuff around.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Master Disaster

Master Disaster Well-Worn Member

News Credits:
    I've used them to build a little chillout room in the attic.

18. PGaither84

PGaither84 Just a guy

And that is the point. I don't throw them out, but the Hasbro blister buble needs to go. it serves no purpose once it has been opened. The cardboard backing with bios and product shots are worth holing onto though.

19. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I throw the boxes for chug figures (except titans) and I keep the boxes of MPs, stored in my attic in case I'll ever want to sell a figure.

20. ByteBack

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Yeah, I was just thinking earlier how the packaging is sort of a big part of the appeal of the figure as well.

What I'm planning on doing right now is packing the smaller boxes into Ikea storage boxes and covering the top with a few layers of plastic wrap before putting on the lids and clipping them shut. That way I can put them in the basement and the larger boxes will probably get the same treatment but with a larger size Ikea box.

• Like Like x 1