Box Office Wager

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by monosierra, Jun 12, 2007.

1. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

I'm betting that Transformers will be the highest grossing film internationally this year. Its a big bet, given the Goliath competition but I do think TF will rule the rooost in '07.

Why? Its an established franchise, for one, so the original fan base can be counted on. And this year has proven to be the critical (if not commercial) burial ground for the major three-quels (so far) but a good one for debut films that made a genuine buzz around the web. As for the unconvinced I'm-Not-Watching-A-Toy-Movie masses, well, TF is a perfect family popcorn flick - great action, good pace, spectacular effects (I bet ILM will win an Oscar for this. Maybe Best Sound too) and fun for everyone who's not a TF nut.

Anyone else?

2. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

No bet from me as I'm a coward.

Everything suggests TF should be the hit of the summer (it's not a sequel, advance word is very good, the concept is original etc.) but I just cannot factor in fickle audiences.
    HARRY POTTER 5 could be the biggest heap of rubbish ever filmed, yet people would still flock to see it and make it a smash.

TRANSFORMERS could be the greatest action movie ever, yet there's still the "it's for kids" stigma and critics' in-built dislike of everything even remotely populist (especially if it has the name "Micheal Bay" attached).

3. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I believe that it will do very well and make a lot of money internationally. I'm not convinced that it will be the highest earner of the year though. The major sequels this year have been critically underwhelming, but have still been piling in the cash:

Spiderman 3 : $864,585,149 in 5 and a bit weeks
    POTC 3 : $746,941,723 in just less than 3 weeks

Spiderman 3 is the 12th highest world box office ever at the moment. I suspect POTC 3 will overtake it after a couple more weeks.

Anyways, those are big figures to beat, and TF doesn't have to smash them to still be a major success. And if it is, and there is a sequel in, say, 2009, then that would have a very good chance of being the highest box office in that year, depending on the competition.

Short version - it doesn't matter if it is the highest, second highest or third highest BO or whatever, if it's good, it could be a major hit.

4. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

And all this "box office records" stuff has clearly proven to have little relation to a film's quality anyway (Didn't "TITANIC" break STAR WARS' ('77) record after all?) and are, by their nature, temporary.

As long as TF makes a big enough wad to justify an ongoing series (which I'm pretty sure it will!) then I'll be happy.

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think it will come in after Spider-Man 3.