Fan Art: "Box Art" request inquiry.

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Cybertronian, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Howdy.
    I'm nearing completion of 2 customs (both G1/G2 Seekers). I would like to commission some impressive box art for one or both of them. Although I have no intentions on boxing either of them, I do want a quality "box art" style piece that can be shrunk down for use in a G1-esque tech spec.

Custom 1 is Darkstar. [​IMG]
    Her story: Darkstar is an attempt to create a new Decepticon Plane (Seeker) using -- in the spirit of Mortal Kombat 2's Noob Saibot -- all-black parts. By 1993, all parts of a Decepticon plane (Ramjet, or Skywarp/Starscream) had been molded in or painted black, I wanted to find a way to build my seeker using stock parts that were black to begin with. (G2 Ramjet's teal secondary engines are the only things I couldn't swap out, so they need painting.) A last minute decision, I decided to arm her with a surplus pair of Dirge's guns.
    Since her backstory of being a "Venom-y" fusion between a Decepticon and a psycho teen version of Young & the Restless/Bold & the Beautiful's Shiela Forrester seems farfetched, I'll spare you the details. But I did create a sketch based on G1 Ramjet's TF: Universe profile. As you can see, all-black 'Cons don't photograph well using a TF: ROTF Autobot symbol camera. Hard to tell either way, I prefer both Ramjet and Darkstar with the undersides of their main wings facing forward.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Custom 2 is Apparition. [​IMG]
    Long story short: Apparition is composed of a G2 Ramjet body with all teal colored parts swapped out with black ones (thus making him both an original character, and match the 6 G1 planes). He has Dirge wings (painted to match the body) and (for the time being) Classics Skywarp launchers (which coincidentally match, sort of).
    To give him a G1 look, I commissioned Darkov to make him a pair of Type 1 launchers. These resemble G1 Skywarp's, but with a darker violet that I'm trying to paint to match G2 Ramjet's purple.
    For a better understanding, here is a poor-resolution picture:
    [​IMG]
    And yes, that is MAIDEN JAPAN's custom Soundwave head. Note that his wings are underside-forward in robot mode.

Both of their nosecones may be portrayed either way (up (Ramjet) or back/behind (Starscream)).

For more detail, I've come up with a custom decal scheme for both. Most of the decals are copied from various G1 seekers, with a few minor recolorations. I'll list the ones relevant to a forward-facing viewpoint.
    Darkstar:
    • Intakes: Same as Ramjet's, but with the 3 colored squares near her chest changed to red, green, and blue.
    • Eyes: Red.
    • Midsection: same as Starscream and Ramjet.
    • Knee/Upper Leg: Same as Thundercracker, but with the blue field changed to a dark violet.
    • Foot: Same as Thundercracker.
    • Underside of wing: She should have a 2nd (smaller) pair of insignias underneath her wings (facing forward in robot mode).
      Darkstar's face should be a silver or gunmetal -- lighter in color than the rest of her.
    Apparition:
    • Intakes: Same as Dirge's (...or Thundercracker's w/bars and blue squares changed to Skywarp-like dark violet).
    • Eyes: (Golden) Yellow or Red
    • Midsection: Same as Skywarp.
    • Knee/Upper Leg: Same as Skywarp.
    • Foot: Same as Thrust (or Skywarp).
    • Wing & Winglet/Canard decorations: Same as Dirge, with red changed to Sky Blue.
      If you'd prefer to try an cartoon-style version of him, start with Dirge's cartoon model and change the body and wing colors.

If it helps, I can provide you with their profile info so that you get a rough idea of the characters' personalities.
    Let me know if you wish to tackle either piece and how much it will set me back.
    -- Cybertronian.
    P.S.: Darkstar is wearing a G2 bluish canopy, Apparition is wearing a smoky-colored (tinted) G1 canopy.

2. Cybertronian

*Bump.*

3. Cybertronian

*Bump.*

4. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I'm on it, boss. :) 

- Alty

5. Cybertronian

Excellent (*using Frank Welker's Megatron voice*).