Bow your heads, disbelievers; Sonic Unleashed looks amazing

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by McBradders, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, I don't really agree with that. There's been a fair share of good Sonic games in recent years. Sonic Advance 1/2/3, Sonic Rush/SR Adventure, Sonic Adventure/SA 2 were all quite good, especially the latter three.

Also, several Sonic games I've never wanted/knew they were going to suck after seeing a fair amount of info on them-- Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog Next-Gen, etc. Sonic Unleashed is the first "main" console system Sonic game I've purchased since Sonic Heroes (which I regretted).

(Disclaimer: I have Sonic Unleashed & Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in my big ol' stack of games I amassed during the holiday season, but haven't gotten to playing them yet, so I can't really comment on those yet.)

2. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I know right? It's like, why don't the folks at SEGA just bring the original Sonic formula back when making a new game? I swear, they will NEVER listen to their fans; it seems as though they don't care about us. After hearing terrible reviews about Sonic '06, Sonic Unleashed, and Sonic and the Black Knight, I have high-hopes that there will never be a good new Sonic game ever again. Period. :( 

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sega takes the same stance with Sonic as Nintendo does with everything- focus on kids and casual players because they buy a lot. That's the only reason I can see why sonic doesn't get the royal treatment he deserves. Sega knows their sonic games will sell since that market seems to always buy it and they sell more then enough. And just like Nintendo, this leaves long time fans and gamers in the dust. Fortunately I think Nintendo's big name series' are still playable by any age, they just don't release enough for their flagship console.

I do think that the DS Sonic Rush games were respectable Sonic games, even if I don't think they quite had the fun balance of the older 16-Bit titles.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    There's two things that have really been pissing me off, lately. The way people have been reviewing Sonic and the Black Knight. Regardless of how good the game is, citing the sword itself as a negative point is fucking ******ed.
    It is not a regular Sonic game. It is a spinoff. The entire point is that it's not a normal Sonic game.
    I don't recall people complaining about Mario Kart because it had go karts. The other thing is that people keep bringing up Sonic Team. Sonic Team did not make this game. That's basic knowledge. If you're going to review a game, know who fucking made it.

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No one cares whether or not sonic team made it, or that it's supposed to be a spin-off type of game. People are mad because it's yet another sonic game that isn't what people want to see in a sonic game. They've all sucked since the saturn came out(the genesis/segacd ones being the good ones) with the occasional "alright" spin-off type of game. But the fact is, people are sick of seeing sonic in a new game and it not being a "sonic: the hedgehog" game.

Personally, I don't understand why they can't seem to get it through their heads that when the sales of the games all tank when the immediate reviews of the games all suck, and most people return it after renting it for a day, that they need to go back to the formula that made them millions of dollars.

So regarding your large text

WE HAVEN'T HAD A REAL SONIC GAME SINCE 1994 OTHER THAN THE GAMEBOY GAMES, IT'S BEEN 15 YEARS AND WE WANT A REAL SONIC GAME TO PLAY ON OUR BIGASS TV'S

So yeah, people are going to bitch every time a sonic game comes out that isn't what they want out of a sonic game, no matter who makes the thing.

6. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

^ THIS.

I had to get my classic Sonic fix this past week and broke out the old Mega Collection for the GC. Looks great on the Wii with the Component connection. The colors just stand out and impress. Very, very wow.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    And you completely miss the point.

8. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    No, you missed it.

Out of curiosity I searched metacritic for sonic games on home consoles. Other than sonic adventure 2, none of the non platformer spin-off games have decent ratings. What games have decent ratings?

Sonic: The hedgehog 360
    Sonic: The hedgehog 2 360
    Sonic: Mega collection plus xbox,gamecube
    Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection ps3, 360
    SEGA Genesis Collection ps2

The rest all have crap reviews, again with sonic adventure 2 being the one exception.

So in 15 years sega has come up with ONE sonic game that people seemed to actually like, and have gotten higher ratings for 15-17 year old games than everything else for the past 15 years(with the one noted exception).

You don't see a problem with that? No one wants to see a development studio waste the time or money on another spin-off, either sega's own resources or a company licensing the characters to use in some spin-off game.

As much as I don't like the 3d mario, zelda, and metroid games, at least I'm the apparent minority in that regard. But when it comes to sonic, it's pretty damn obvious what people want, and Sega can't seem to get that through their heads.

9. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I think Glyoh was just trying to say that despite all the bad Sonic games, Sonic and the Black Knight is a spinoff game and shouldn't be viewed and rated as a main sonic game. So, he really wasn't talking about what was good and what was bad in the Sonic series.

10. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    My point still stands, it's a sonic game that is not what people want, and instead people would have rather someone spent the time on a decent sonic game instead. It's going to be viewed as "the main sonic game", because again, there hasn't been one for 15 years. The pic paladin posted pretty much speaks the truth when it comes down to how ANY sonic game is viewed, and the review scores just further prove it right.

11. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Reviewers can want whatever they want, but mario karts and mario tennis and Mario RPG aren't rated based on how good of an adventure platformer they are like a mainline mario would be. Glyph is mad that Sonic and the Black Knight, an action RPG spinoff, is still being rated as a mainline Sonic game by a lot of reviewers. I'm not even saying I agree with Glyph being angry about it, I'm just saying he has a valid point. And I agree it's not what people want Sega to do with Sonic, and most sonic games have been bad in recent years, but they still should be reviewed as the genre they're supposed to be.

12. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    Mario kart/tennis/golf/etc aren't rated like a mainline mario game, because there ARE mainline mario games.

Sonic tennis/fightnight/rpg/olympics/blacknight/whiteknight/whatever is going to get rated as a mainline sonic game because is no mainline sonic game.

And no, the pile of fail that is sonic unleashed does not qualify for reasons mentioned previously.

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Terrible or not, I would say Sonic Unleashed and Sonic The Hedgehog are mainline games. Just like Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Sunshine are mainline games. They don't have to have a number or be good to be part of the mainline. If your just looking for something called Sonic 4, well you might be waiting a while.

14. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    And like I said, Sega needs to go back to the formula that got and still gets good reviews and sells games, rather than these 3d crapfests that are barely platformers with side characters no one cares about that get poor reviews and end up in the bargain bin 3 months after launch.

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    ^ Not gonna argue with that.

16. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Agreed - something with updated graphics but classic Sonic gameplay? I'd buy it. Regardless of whether 2D gameplay is seen as 'yesterday', I think a lot of people would be all over that if Sega nailed the gameplay. They need to go back to Sonics 2 & 3 and figure out how and why they worked so well.

17. Prisoner1138

News Credits:
    If 2d gameplay was "yesterday", megaman 9 and sf4 would have flopped, and they didn't. If anything, megaman 9 showed that 2d gameplay was still perfectly acceptable(it's fine on handhelds, why not home consoles?), and sf4 showed that 2d gameplay with modern graphics works and looks damn good(technical issues regarding the combo system and other balance problems aside that have nothing to do with it being 2d).

And this is the same reason why I want a zelda/mario/castlevania/metroid/etc game that retains the same gameplay style but is simply updated.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Fuck Megaman 9.

That is all.

19. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

just save yourselves the strife and just play sonic 2 on the xbla.