Bow before your robotic master...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by rattrap007, Feb 15, 2011.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Watching Jeopardy. Ken Jennings and another grand champion Brad (?) are taking on an IBM computer designed to play the game. Watching the first ep and so far after the first commercial during gameplay Watson (the computer) has $5200. Brad has about $1000 and Ken $200. Wow.

The series will continue today and tomorrow.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sorry. I saw the thread title and automatically thought it was about this...

[​IMG]

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :lolol  :lolol  Oh that is so true!

I might tune in and watch tonight if nothing's good on.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched it last night. I like the concept and it's interesting to watch the potential answers the computer comes up with for each question. But they're padding this thing out so much that it's boring as hell. I was expecting a three-day mini-tournament between the three players with Jeopardy, Double Jeopardy and Final Jeopardy rounds each day, not Jeopardy yesterday, Double Jeopardy today and, I assume, Final Jeopardy Wednesday...all padded out with discussion and details about the building/processing of the computer. I'm watching this to see the computer play Jeopardy, not to get it's complete backstory.

EDIT - The computer has over $36K :lol  And it looks they aren't dragging it out quite as bad as I feared; hopefully tomorrow's show will be a full-length, standard game.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  5. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Napoleon Dynamite?
    J/K

While it's fascinating to see a computer playing Jeopardy, all I can think of is The Terminator and Battlestar Galactica and what happens when machines become TOO smart.

6. Scantron

News Credits:
    "About the only chance I have is to either unplug the computer or bet it all." - Ken Jennings, Daily Double
    "I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords" - Ken Jennings, Final Jeopardy

Today's episode was a lot better, with playing a full-length game and not padding things out with a lot of fluff. While Watson put in an impressive performance ($77K in two days must be some kind of record), the computer got tripped up a lot more than in the previous episode, particularly on the clues that were more dependent on wordplay. There were also some responses (like "Toronto" as a US city in last night's Final Jeopardy) that will probably be giving the designers a lot of work attempting to improve the system.

It was amusing watching Jennings' reactions throughout the game, whether it was his commentary, looking exasperated when the computer kept beating him or tossing his buzzer on the ground at the end.

Nothing to add to this, just quoting it since everyone else has.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Yep, that was pretty good.

There are 7 Toronto's in the USA:

Toronto, Illinois
    Toronto, Indiana
    Toronto, Iowa
    Toronto, Kansas
    Toronto, Missouri
    Toronto, Ohio
    Toronto, South Dakota

I'll buck the trend and not quote the Robot Masters cover. One of the aspects that I really liked was seeing Watsons top 3 answers and the % for each question. I figured when they said 2 games instead of three that the first round would be quite slow since they'd spend a lot of time explaining what Watson was, his potential purposes, and why the show. FWIW, I was turned onto it by a NOVA special on PBS, which I'd recommend.

I'd love to know what strategy (strategies?) Watson was programmed with, from question choices to his odd wagering amounts. I also wouldn't mind hearing a commentary from Ken and Brad on their thoughts as they were playing the game and their thoughts on Watson.

Just for LOL's:

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    hey that is one of the 4 issues of g1 i own, got to reread it now XD

9. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

[​IMG]

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    but in seriousness, i saw the commercials for this for over a month, i thought it was neat, but i work at that time so no watching for me

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    YouTube - Jeopardy! The

All three episodes are up and the guy has a link box in the corner to hop from part to part in order.

12. Scantron

News Credits:
    Yes, that's the list (in order) from wikipedia's Toronto disambiguation page. However, the overwhelming majority of those are towns (one of which no longer exists) with the largest having a population of ~6000 people, which also rules them out as answers for a "US Cities" category. And, near as I can find, none of them has one airport (let alone two), which was one of the other qualifiers for the question. If Watson meant one of those seven, that actually seems like a worse answer than Toronto, Canada which, while in the wrong country, is at least a city with an airport.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  13. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    ShockWatson?

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I for one welcome our new robotic Overlord!

15. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!