Bought the HD DVD? Use the Xbox 360 HD DVD player? Question for you!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Neuco, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Neuco

Neuco Well-Known Member

I bought the HD DVD version and I use my Xbox 360 HD DVD player to watch the movie. Now, for some reason, when I try to get the online update required to view the Web Only feature, I cannot do it. I try to connect again through the main menu, but it keeps saying it cannot find my network connection. I'm always connected to my DSL connection (ethernet cable to router) so I don't know what (if anything) I'm doing wrong. Or is it becuase the 360 HD DVD player cannot detect a network connection because the player itself does not have a direct network connection (it relies on the Xbox I guess)? Help!

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Check the player's internet settings and make sure it is set to accept cookies with your permission. The update needs to download a cookie to the add-on.

3. Neuco

Neuco Well-Known Member

I checked that, and I have it set to always accept cookies. You think setting it to accept cookies with my permission would make a difference?

4. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got my XBox HD-DVD and it works fine...

The only wack thing are the bios...the text is too small...because my TV is small and non-HD...like 24". I can barely make out the pop-ups that show up down below.

5. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have no idea...but it's worth a shot.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    If your TV is standard definition, why did you buy the HD DVD? You are aware that it only makes a difference on an HD set right?

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think that anyone who codes an HD-DVD just makes an assumption that it will be viewed with an HD television.

I can't imagine buying an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player with an SD television.
    The movies will not look any better and you will run into issues like you described.

8. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Sadly I think that point is missed by a lot of people. Some people assume HD player + HD media = the full experience. But without an HD TV it's just money down the drain.

9. mpdb6

mpdb6 Active Member

Scientific Atlanta did a survey in 2005 that said that 50% pf people with HDTV's don't watch anything in HD. Good thing they bought those monster cables though. Idiots.

10. BlackTrailerOps

BlackTrailerOps Motor Boatin S.O.B.

Actually HD broadcast television on a SD TV shows a marked improvement without any HD cables or any of that crap. Weird huh...

11. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    The reason why they bought the monster cables is the TV salesperson at Best Buy talked/conned them into purchasing them.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    My father bought two HDTVs and had no HD signal coming to either one.
    Then he moved and acquired a third HDTV.

Direct TV set up one TV correctly, but the second one was hooked up with RCA cables and the third just had a coax. And he didn't even know! He was bragging to me about the picture quality and I said "Something is not right."

I have no idea how he could look at the Discovery Channel on the correct TV then look at it on the incorrect ones and think that it looked good.

The first HDTV I bought was a Phillips LCOS. It looked great in the store with what they showed me, but looked horrible with what I watched at home. When I tried to return it the sales associate at Fry's told me the problem was in the cables and tried to sell me $400 worth of Monster surge protectors and cables.

That's a bit of an urban myth. If something is filmed in HD then broadcast in SD it will look better, but it will only look as good as SD allows.
    It's really no different than saying it was filmed with a good camera. Just look at a news broadcast today and compare it with one from ten years ago. The resolution of SD television is the same yet the contemporary broadcast will look much improved.

13. Neuco

Neuco Well-Known Member

I figured out what it was. I just had to wait for the update to finish downloading, which took about 5 minutes.

Problem solved.

14. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad to hear you got it working. It looks and sounds amazing! Enjoy!!