Bought some new games, but have a PS3 complaint.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by CripNite, Jul 11, 2009.

1. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

So I was in Wal-Mart today and they had a big bin of $10 games. I managed to find the entire PS2 Jak series in there (1, 2, 3 and X). I've always wanted to play these games and have loved the Ratchet series which is like it's "sister" series, so I figure "what the hell".

I get home and crack open Jak and Daxter and put it in my PS3. Graphics are a little fuzzy, but that's okay, this is a PS2 game running on an HD TV. I make a couple adjustments (set it s 16x9, make it full screen, turn on smoothing) which makes it considerably better. Start playing... and... it freezes. Reset system, start playing and... it... freezes. Reset system, start playing and... it... freezes... and it removes the HUD... and it makes a sound and... it continues? Keep playing... and... it... freezes. REPEAT INDEFINITELY.

*sigh*. So I check out the Playstation site and for my version of the PS3, it apparently does this and has not been corrected. The other games will work somewhat fine, but this game... no dice. So now... in order to play these games in order and enjoy them in that manner I have to go buy another PS2? I sold my PS2 figuring that my system had backwards compatibility. I'd figure you know that maybe games that were rated this high and yielded 3 sequels would be amongst those that would be worked on to get them functioning on this system.

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

shuold have researched.
    i dont get people who cash in old system for the next system.

many classic games dont get ported and stay on said system.

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Do you have a 40 60 80 or 160 gig PS3?

The old 40 and 60 versions play about 80-90% of games.

4. CripNite

I didn't just sell it off to get the next system, I got the new system first, and waited many months to get it so that I could get one that was supposedly backwards compatible, then gave my PS2 to my nephew as I figured it was redundant to keep it.

The PS3 was a mistake from the get go... there's very few games I like, I haven't been able to get onto the Playstation store for about 5 months (yet I can update and go on the internet?) and now I find it's backwards compatibility that I waited for is half assed.

I'm almost at the point of being done with video games altogether. I shouldn't need to do research on a game before I buy it. I should know that it will play on the system I own, which states that it is backwards compatible to play these games.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Epic Fail.
    I read, i research, I haunt this very forum before i buy a game.
    Research isn't a waste, it is an investment. and saves you from hassles like this.

man, i'd hate to eat at your house. if you can't be bothered to "read" something before you grab it, how do i know that's not D-Con you put in the casserole?
    ...looked like peppercorns to me,,,,

no thanks.

6. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Uhhh...I think he ment he shouldn't have to read into what games truely are backwards compatible or which systems freeze before he bought one.

7. MetalRyde

shuoldn't but has to.

he just assumed that it was fully backwards compatible and got burned for that assumption.

jorod was right.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    You don't research impulsive buys, because they are of course bought on an impusle so lay off the whole "epic fail" we are above that and should be able to help and discuss as adults not throw lame flames.

CripNite maybe try to get ahold of a ps2 there not that expensive any more but it is indeed a shame that sony didn't quite fix its faults with its machine when it comes to playing older games :) 

9. MetalRyde

grr. still.

gamestop has them for 60. (i know, gamestop sucks blahblahblah)

10. CripNite

Anyway, ignoring anything MetalRyde has to say... I don't have the extra money to go throw at another PS2, memory card etc in order to play 1 of the 4 games I bought. I'll just hang onto them for a bit and see if a PS3 update fixes something. If not, I'll just give them to my nephew.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I researched and bought the 80gb, backwards compatible that is no longer made. But, Ive also kept my old systems just in case of problems. I have the first Rachet and Clank, and it had a similar problem. The voice would not correlate with the picture and at somepoints the frame rate would slow down.

12. Whitefire78

Whitefire78 Well-Known Member

Hmmm what games are you looking for ? you seem to say that the ps3 has hardly any games that you like. For me im a kid and i have Many games that i like for the ps3Like little Big Planet (Its fun nice and ONLINE) Warhawk (Need some work to get good), Transformers Revenge of the fallen (No brainer), Quantum of Solace (First Person shooter) I have been playing that game for 8month for online (But the community is starting to die), Battlefield Bad Company (Still many people playing)

Forgot the rest but if your not into those games you get Killzone2, Resistance 2&1, Uncharted and you could be looking forward to the second one, Dc Universe online (comes out next Year), MAG nice game :)  comes out sometime in the fall, and if your into Bloody games God of War 3 (comes out next year (i think), Metal Gear Solid 4, Rpg Valkyria Chronicles, and some Racing games MotorStorm 1&2, Mod Nation Racers(A cute game where you make your own tracks and other people online can play together) (Not out Yet), you get it.. the ones metioned are only For Playstation 3 so i bet you could find some more :) 

13. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:

they play everything but the earlist ps1 games correct ?

14. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, so certain versions of the PS3 are only 'partially' backwards compatible? I always thought game systems were 'all or nothing' in terms of backwards compatibility (I've always been a Nintendo fan, so I don't know the workings of the other consoles). Another fail for the PS3, I guess (no offense to fans of the system).

I hope that update you're hoping for comes around, as I've had experience with buying a game, only to have it not work/be glitchy (never buy used GBA games from Gamestop).

15. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I'm agreeing with MetalRyde here. Sides it seems ppl buy PS3's to play PS2 games more or less. Forget the PS3's library of great exlcusive titles, on-line play, blu-rays and what not. It's just a newer machine to play your PS2 games on, right?

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

I dont take offense, but its more than what the 360 was able to do in terms of compatibility. I have both systems and way more original xbox games sitting that cannot be played than PS1/PS2 games

17. samtheman

...no not at all.

18. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

This. The first rule of gaming should be to NEVER, EVER get rid of your old systems.

Unless its a PC or something.

19. samtheman

You can always get a ps2 off craigslist for next to nothing.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

ITT "we" act like know it all dicks.

Shame on you guys.