Bought my first Transformers ever today and now I'm looking for recomendations.....

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zandar07, Aug 4, 2011.

1. zandar07

zandar07 Well-Known Member

1 YEAR UPDATE: this did not go as planned at all! I had intended on just buying a handful of cool leader class figures and have a very small (but cool) TF display. Oh how wrong I was. I'm a full blown TF collecter now, collecting from all lines (3rd party as well) and all classes. In fact, TF have become my number one squeeze, taking precidence over GI Joes and MU. Funny how it turned out considering I was a pretty die hard Joe collector, lol. Cheers.

ORIGINAL POST: I would like to get a set of the main characters (Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee, etc) and display them alongside my new Optimus.

So, that being said, can anyone recommend some of their favorite versions of the main characters from any line (preferably within the last 5 years, as I dont have the spare cash for G1 or anything along those lines) that would compliment my Ultimate Prime.

I plan on displaying these and I'm looking to get ones of similar size. I'm not too interested in the smaller Transformers, the bigger the better. I checked out some pics on the site database, but they don't really list the dimensions, so it's rather hard to tell if they are small, medium or large figures....

-Zandar

2. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    As goofy as that ultimate prime is.. I think its the coolest by far. So much going on with it ^^. I would just pick up the movie characters if I were you, sounds like it would be right up yer alley.

Since you got dotm prime, id say get dotm rest ^^.

3. zandar07

zandar07 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, Blurr. I did see a pretty sweet bumblebee that was part of the dotm line there as well, and he was pretty big too, I will probably get him next. Unfortunately, the only other big one I saw was Sentinel Prime, whom I've never really heard of. So I guess what I'm really asking is; what lines have big versions of Megatron, Starscream, and the other core characters, that I can display along side my big ass Ultimate Prime?

4. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader Starscream is still out there if you hunt for him. The US version was in the Hunt for the Decepticons line- OR if you have the cash and want to fish around online there is also the Movie Masterpiece version done by Hasbro's Japanese sister company Takara. Same toy with a more detailed paint job. It'll cost you more than twice what the Hasbro one goes for- but it's very nice.

I suspect Ultimate Prime is bigger than most Transformers. But they have made leader sized figures of Optimus Prime, Megatron (both twice), Brawl, Jetfire, Ironhide, Starscream, Bumblebee and Sentinel Prime.

The leader figures are all roughly the same size as the Bumblebee and Sentinel Prime you saw.

Takara has also done a nicer version of Prime called Buster Prime (again pricey) with more paint and lots of chrome.

The human alliance figures are also good sized- smaller than leader but probably a larger scale than ultimate Prime.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

welcome to transformers. sounds like you like movieverse so i recommend you stick to that until you see other stuff at retail you like. the prime cartoon toys might catch your eye later one.

megatron is a tough call. you may want to wait to see if they release a dotm leader class megatron. right now there is only the dotm voyager size and thats a lot smaller than your prime. he has changed his appearance for each movie and has leader class figures for both movie 1 and 2. neither is that awesome, but if you want to pick one go for the leader from rotf. check ebay or the junkion exchange here on tfw2005.

"hunt for the decepticons" leader starscream has been seen at ross recently for $20 grab one of those if you can for sure.

well, if you dont care about scale, get that leader class dotm bumblebee. if you want him to be a bit smaller than prime (in better scale) there is a yellow "human alliance" bumblebee out from the last movie that is still pretty big and nice. (there is also a repaint in black you should probably avoid.)

i recommend human alliance jazz and barricade as well. those are 2 of the best transformers EVER and are a very nice larger size. youll have to go to ebay or the junkion exchange for those.

i guess you havent seen the movie? sentinel prime plays a huge role and you should pick up that dotm leader class figure at retail now.

ironhide is coming out with a dotm leader class figure soon. def get that. some people have found them at retail. not me : (

the leader class brawl from the 1st movie is awesome. you can find a decent price on one loose on ebay maybe. i did. or the junkion exchange.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Welcome to the club, mate.

I heartily recommend HFTD Leader Starscream or his Takara Masterpiece counterpart. He's an amazing figure; one that you won't regret purchasing. Not only does he have great play value, he's a stunning display piece, too. My aunt, who first saw my Masterpiece Movie Starscream in F-22 mode, mistook him for a detailed scale model of an F-22 until I transformed him, which only made her more impressed.

7. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Dark of the Moon Bumblebee is a good start. He's a retool of Hunt for the Decepticon Battleblade Bumblebee, which is the best smaller scale movie Bumblebee to date.

Hunt for the Decepticon Leader Starscream is amazing and you should be able to find him on shelves.

Dark of the Moon Voyager Shockwave and Megatron are great too and will look good with your Prime

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
  9. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    If you like Ultimate Optimus Prime... Buy the Revenge of the Fallen Optimus Prime or any of it's other releases (Buster Prime, Hunt for the Decepticons Battle Hooks Prime, or any of the various clear or black variants, but they're a bit pricier.) and your mind will be BLOWN. Also, around November or December, the Transformers Prime toyline comes out, based on the cartoon. The accuracy and transformations of the toys in that line will blow your mind.

10. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, for more in the DOTM line from smallest to largest size classes:

Commander (Cyberverse) Decepticon Hatchet
    Commander (Cyberverse) Ironhide

Deluxe Starscream
    Deluxe Thundercracker (Starscream repaint)
    Deluxe Autobot Ratchet
    Deluxe Bumblebee
    Deluxe Topspin

Voyager Shockwave
    Voyager Megatron
    Voyager Skyhammer

Leader Sentinel Prime

Generations toy line:

Deluxe Dirge
    Deluxe Thundercracker
    Deluxe Wheeljack
    Deluxe Warpath
    Deluxe Kup
    Deluxe Scourge

Reveal the Shield line:

Deluxe Jazz
    Deluxe Bumblbebee
    Deluxe Wreck-Gar
    Deluxe Optimus Prime
    Deluxe Perceptor

Voyager Lugnut

Generations:

Deluxe Cyclonus
    Deluxe Sunstreaker
    Deluxe Sideswipe
    Deluxe Hound
    Deluxe Starscream
    Deluxe Acid Storm
    Deluxe Tankor

These are just a few off the top of my head going back a few years.

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't be afraid to look into other lines as well. While dark of ther moon is great, there have been other awesome lines as well. Beast wars is not only one of my favorite lines, but one of my favorite shows as well. Hasbro and takara really started playing with engineering in that line. Another over I really liked was robots in disguise. The show wad the first to go back to basics essentially in that most of the main characters were vehicles, and it even reused a G1 combiner team, ruination, which was bruticus in the 80's line, as well as making 2 new combiners that absolutely rocked! Not to mention that the toys looked so much like thier tv counter parts, you could pretty much make a stop motion movie out of them to make the episodes. The next line I'd recommend would be cybertron. They were very fun toys, with a gimmic of a key that you would plug into a slot and expose a new weapon, or alter some of thier vehicle modes. The next line s I'd say go for are the masterpiece and binatech/alternator (japanese/us) lines. I prefer the japanese releases for the masterpieces, and some of the binaltechs myself, but you can get very nice US versions too. These are the best representations of the original characters you can find at a larger scale. Next is animated. I think these toys are so much fun, but what sets it apart if the style of the designs. They aren't the blocky designs the fans are used to, but were taken to quickly by a lot, and some say was the best line since beast wars. Lastly is the classics/universe/generations line. These are mostly deluxe scale figures taking the original characters from the 80's show and giving them a totally updated style. Check out the sales area to see who has what, you might find a lot you'll want, :) . Hoer this helps, and welcome to the addiction!!

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just throwing this out there, but it should be mentioned that the reveal the shield bumblebee is the same toy as the classics figure in a slightly different paint scheme, as is starscream.

13. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Movie leader class figures!

07 leader green camo brawl
    HFtD leader starscream
    DOTM leader ironhide
    " " bee
    A version of blackout helo

Those should be good for display for a guy of your interest.

14. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    ITT: lots of nice helpful ppl ^^, refreshing to see!

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yep.

Also before we know it, I bet Zandar's gonna be posting one of those huge TF collection threads. Just watch. :) 

16. clankizle

clankizle Well-Known Member

Fansproject Bruticus

17. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I recomend all leader class toys human alince toys what is not in that line go for voyager then keep moveing down the size classes you have started big finish big :D 

except ravage and wheelie who should both be legends cause there better then there deluxes and theres a better chance of leggends ravage being able to do something with HA soundwave

oh yeah i had to wait so long to edit my post because these posts cannot be edited on the 3ds

the save button dos'nt work on then

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  18. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

hey, ya know... on a much smaller scale i think the blackout and ironhide cyberverse commanders available at retail now are awesome.

19. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

id stick to movieverse if i was you. keep your collection from getting to big. at least until the new prime cartoon stuff comes out. then decide if you like that.

movieverse...

leader size:
    dotm ultimate otimus prime
    dotm sentinel
    dotm ironhide
    dotm bumblebee
    hftd starscream
    rotf megatron
    tftm brawl

human alliance:
    jazz
    baricade
    bumblebee
    sideswipe

deluxe:
    rotf ravage
    rotf scorponok
    dotm lazerbeak

20. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    If you like large, electronic, TFs, maybe have a look at Battle Ops Bumblebee?