Bottom Out's Giving Animated a Second Chance

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Bottom Out, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

Ok, some of you may or may not know that currently i dislike animated very much. I dont believe that it encompasses what makes transformers transformers...however, im going to be rewatching every episode and re-evaluating my opinion on it and I'll be using this thread to post about my feelings. I'll try to watch at least one episode a day, but some days I'll watch more and others i might not watch at all.

Allright with that said, I'm skipping the pilot episode becasue I've allready seen it and I dont really think its possible for my opinion to change on that episode, the autobots first enemy of the series is man made, starscream doesnt show up untill the end and no other decepticons are seen, the pilot episode was one of the worst transformers cartoon episodes of any series i have ever seen, but enough with that.

---

Episode 4: Home is where the spark is

Ok, the episode starts off with a strike right away. An unknown human super-villian is robbing an armored car. he calls himself the angry archer very breifly andI would have missed it if I didnt allready know that was his name. He is captured by optimus. Why not just have a decepticon causing trouble in the begining? It would have been a great opprotunity to introduce a new bad guy to the series that is actually a transformer....you know, the thing the cartoon is based on...anyways, the episode goes on and we learn a little more about prowl and what makes him tick, I personally like what we've seen of prowl so far...even though i still at this point consider him a prick I like his attitude about things. Bumble bee is annoying as hell and its all too obvious that he's the guy the writers are trying to sell, the scene with optimus and prowl talking about how prowl could have a different room didnt need his input. The ending of the episode would have also been much better if prowl just saved the day, they really didnt need to make bumblebee the hero, hopefully this will change and not become a trend. So all in all another episode where the main villian wasnt a decepticon...even though megatron was the one behind the events going on in the autobots hidehout it still wasnt an autobot vs decepticon fight imo and therefore looses a lot of "Transformer" points.

Final verdict:

I give this episode a 5 out of 10. We got some more information on prowl, but the lack of decepticons and the inclusion of the angry archer for no real reason really effected the score I'm giving this episode.

Season Average Score So Far:

5/10

2. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The pilot movie did have more Decepticons in it. They were in the first episode, thus making the first fight against Megatron, not a manmade threat.

Therefore my friend, you loose a lot of Transformer points.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Bottom Out's giving the evil, EVIL, Animated a second chance?

I'm kidding, I love Animated. But HIWTSI did suck, I have to agree.

Season Two was awesome. Season One was meh.

S2 will make you cry from happiness.

4. Bottom Out

Episode 5: Total Meltdown

I'm starting to wonder why this is called Transformers: Animated and not just "Animated Cartoon"

The episode starts off with bumble bee (what a surprise) fighting a human supervillain (what a suprise) and ends up with the the rest of the autobots comming to his rescue with prowl having to save the day again. The episode then goes on giving some back story to Mr Black and why he hates machines, he ends up becomming Melt Down...another human supervillian and goes after Sumdac. This episode is about Melt Down trying to kill Sumdac and the autobots jumping in to stop it...No one in this episode was after the autobots, they wouldnt even have been involved in this episode if it wasnt for thier relationship with sari/sumdac. As the episode goes on bumble bee ends up being the only one that could save sumdac (what a suprise) and as he's doing this the autobots who are trying to get into the sumdac building are confronted by the supervillian from the beggining. The autobots beat this villian by realizing sound effects him which they realized only after optimus was thrown into a nearby bell (aka they found out by accident). meanwhile bumble bee rescues sumdac and sari traps melt down in a force field...so the autobots defeated one guy by accident and sari actually defeated the main bad guy....riiiight. There are no decepticons in this episode at all, not even mentioned, i guess the two human bad guys made up for this?

Final verdict:

I give this episode a 3 out of 10. Nothing has been added to the story other than a new human supervillian, no character development for the transformers, and not even a mention of the decepticons.

4/10

5. Bottom Out

regardless, it wasnt a decepticon which is all that really matters. robots fighting against enemies that arent decepticons arent "autobots", they are just generic transforming robots, like i said, nothing about that is what makes transformers transformers

6. Bottom Out

so far season 1 has been really bad, the main reason im rewatching though is because ive skipped most of season 2 but have heard good things about it so I want to refresh my memory before watching

7. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

That's an incredibly narrow definition of the franchise.

8. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    fail trolling is fail

9. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since when is that definition of a Transformer?

10. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    Season Two is where TF Animated really gets good.

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sitting and endlessly moaning about the human villains is just completely missing the entire fucking point of why they exist - making the Decepticons come off as a genuine threat when they actually appear, instead of losers who are beaten every week. And it WORKED - when "Megatron Rising" hit, everybody commented on how they were was a genuine sense of "Oh, SHIT" when all the Decepticons arrived, after the Autobots had barely scraped by in their battles with them throughout the series.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All you gonna do is rate it based on what you want to happen, not writing or character or voice-acting, nothing, and to be honest you already made up your mind about the whole series so I don't see any hope for this topic at all.

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea season two is where it is at, but you are only reviewing the "meh" episodes so far anyways. try the soundwave episode. or the megatron's return episodes! oh and ANY of the dinobot episodes, are great.

i mean just like any series, you will have bad episodes, along with good ones.

and so far you have only reviewed the bad ones.

14. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I don't think he's trolling at all.

I'm curious to see how a reluctant person warms up to the series as it progresses. I don't want him to be discouraged from posting his commentary just because a million people come to defend the series while he's wading through the worst episodes of the series.

I say carry forth and I'll be curiously reading. I'm betting the Lockdown episode with Ratchets flashbacks will have him comin' around a bit. :) 

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    He's just complain that a human villain showed up in 30 seconds of the episode anyway, like before.

16. Bottom Out

Episode 6: Blast from the Past

Ah Finally an episode that feels more like a transformers cartoon. I was a little surprised to see the dinobots introduced so soon, but the way they played it out seemed to work really well. This episode didnt show any decepticons other than megatron again but at least this time megatron actually had a decent role. I also liked how they made bulkhead the hero and not bumblebee. Sumdac is a real dummy though, it seems megatron can tell this guy anything and he'll believe it. I didnt like how they only gave grimlock a "spark" (so it seems) but i did like how he got his name. I guess the "dinobot island" aspect at the end was a nice homage but i'd rather they made up thier own idea.

Final verdict:

I give this episode an 8 out of 10. Finally got some transformers fighting transformers even though the dinobots didnt actually transform in the battle but it was a very needed change. The only reason i didnt give this a higher score was because i didnt feel it was totally original, the dinopark was definetly a rip off of jurrasic park..they even played jurrasic parkesque theme music and i didnt like how they ripped off dinobot island from g1 either.

5/10

17. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Oh yeah there's also the fact he takes any homage or reference as unoriginal rip-offs.

He'll probably hate the whole Season 2 as well considering most of the reason people go crazy over some episodes is the G1 factor.

18. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    lost and found is arguably the best episode of season one. that and along came a spider got me back into it(i couldn't stand hiwthi or total meltdown, which i watched after blast from the past. it was hard to find things online in order as they came out)

19. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    my problem with people ripping on animated(or any series for that matter) is the fact that they come to somewhere pro-animated to do it, as if they'll somehow "save the hopeless believers" from something they don't like. and going into a series with a predetermined mindset like "this is different and not what i want, so i must hate it and justify to everyone why"

but if you are going into this with an open mind bottom out, props to you.

20. Bottom Out

complain to hasbro about it

you obviously dont know what troll means, check out the definition on urbandictionary.com for help

since around 1984

the things is how would a new viewer of the show get the "entire fucking point" if the episode you're refering too hasnt been aired yet?

besides, the whole human villians make the decepticons look stronger excuse never worked with me. To me it just makes the autobots look weaker. The decepticons are about where they should be strength wise, but the autobots are much to weak. Human villians should not be giving them any sort of challenge at all.

I'm rating it on what does happen, its not like im making up things in my reviews of the episodes. The writing is nothing special so far, and niether is the voice acting its just whatever at this point.

This is good to hear, I just finished watching blast from the past and it was MUCH better than the first 5 episodes. I have seen the soundwave episode allready though and I didnt like it -=/

I'm not, people call me that all the time in here because I dont bow down and kiss sari's feet. They think that because they happen to feel im insulting them when i say this part sucks that im intentionally trying to hurt thier feelings, its not my fault they think im insulting thier being just becuase i dont certain aspects of the cartoon.

I havent seen anything lockdown yet but ive heard lots of good things about him so im waiting for his apearance as well.

human villians have no place in tranformers, transformers is about the "autobots waging thier war against the evil forces of the decepticons" - dont believe me? listen to the theme song. Transformers has nothing to do with "autobots protecting the earth against supervillians" - this is supposed to be transformers not the x-men