BotCon Writers Competition

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Verno, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    I was having a quick look around the BotCon website and ran into the information about the contests being held this year, which are:

Now, that is wonderful news for all the artists and kitbasher out there, but what about the writers?!

I can understand the logistics of running a FanFiction competition because every man and his dog would be submitting their story and the judges would end up with hundreds to go through, and that's just not feasible.

So what they should do is this:

Begin the competition on the many forums around the world. Have each forum decide a winner, and therefore, a representative of that board in the competition. Then, come BotCon, the judges need only read through the 10-20 stories and decide a winner.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts about making this happen in time for BotCon 2013!

2. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other option is "Micro fiction" that's really short fiction like anything from best 100 word story (pretty darn challenging) or maybe up to one page length. It's still a lot for a group of judges to read, but maybe manageable at that length.

-ZacWilliam, what they'd really need is a dedicated panel of judges, and a submission deadline long enough before the Con. Then runners up and placers are announced at the Con and maybe a commemorative pamphlet is made available. Still that'd be a LOT of work to pull it off.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's a lot harder to judge and display something like that in a convention setting, unfortunately.

4. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. Art you can just put up in a room and let folks walk through and vote if they want.

Fiction... It's more difficult. The best option is you have to make it a presentation/panel thing where judges announce winners. But if only the entrants know their fiction no one else is gonna be interested in seeing that. Which means you need to provide a way for the general Con-going public to read the stories which means 1) they'd have to be pretty short and 2) you'd almost certainly have to print up a big number of copys of each one and... Well like I said, a lot of work and cost...

I really honestly like the idea of a fiction contest cause I love creative writing but there's a lot of logistical issues with fitting it into a Con format.

-ZacWilliam, easier would be to make it a Fan Club contest outside the Con, entries on a website for public to read, and then just announce the winners at the Con. That'd be a lot simpler.

5. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    How many boards are there around the globe though? Major ones that is. TFW2005, AllSpark, OzFormers...? That's 3, and that's only 3 stories. Surely a panel of or single judge could read up to 10 stories if the deadline is a month or so before BotCon for the boards to submit their individual entries. The main thing is getting most of the legwork done before the convention itself.

And as for displaying them, just put a blurb up, a paragraph describing the story, much like on the back of a book. And maybe a small picture if the author is also artistically inclined.