BotCon World Cup Info

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by cylence, May 18, 2010.

1. cylence

cylence Always the quiet one..

News Credits:
    So here's the WC schedule during BotCon, and a list I found of Orlando pubs that are supposed to be open for the matches. The main one of interest will be the ESPN Club at Disney.

If anyone is interested in a group outing, I should be in Orlando for the Wed 2pm games, and hopefully finished with Thursday's customizing class for the afternoon games as well. The rest will be depending on the con schedule, I guess.

Wed 6/23 9:30 a.m. ESPN2/ESPN360.com Slovenia vs. England C Port Elizabeth 37
    9:30 a.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com USA vs. Algeria C Pretoria 38
    2 p.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com Ghana vs. Germany D Johannesburg 39
    2 p.m. ESPN2/ESPN360.com Australia vs. Serbia D Nelspruit 40
    Thu 6/24 9:30 a.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com Slovakia vs. Italy E Johannesburg 41
    9:30 a.m. ESPN2/ESPN360.com Paraguay vs. New Zealand E Polokwane 42
    2 p.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com Denmark vs. Japan F Rustenburg 43
    2 p.m. ESPN2/ESPN360.com Cameroon vs. Netherlands F Cape Town 44
    Fri 6/25 9:30 a.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com Portugal vs. Brazil G Durban 45
    9:30 a.m. ESPN2/ESPN360.com Ivory Coast vs. Korea DPR G Nelspruit 46
    2 p.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com Chile vs. Spain H Pretoria 47
    2 p.m. ESPN2/ESPN360.com Switzerland vs. Honduras H Bloemfontein 48
    Sat 6/26 9:30 a.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com 1st A vs. 2nd B Port Elizabeth 49
    2 p.m. ABC 1st C vs. 2nd D Rustenburg 50
    Sun 6/27 9:30 a.m. ESPN/ESPN360.com 1st D vs. 2nd C Bloemfontein 51
    2 p.m. ABC 1st B vs. 2nd A Johannesburg 52

Orlando George & Dragon
    With comfortable surroundings and a friendly atmosphere, the George & Dragon British Pub is an excellent place to unwind. The pub offers a beer garden, authentic British food, outstanding fish and chips, a pool table, quiz and game machines, live music, karaoke every night and English Premier League sporting events on a giant screen TV.
    britanniapubs.com/ 407-351-3578

Best of British Pub
    Walls are festooned with soccer memorabilia, photos and jerseys from the sport's biggest names, setting the scene for a lively time, particularly when the projector screen and 15 televisions project English premier league soccer. A family friendly, authentic British Pub.
    bestofbritishpub.com/ 407-264-9189

Cricketers Arms Pub
    Cricketers Arms Pub has long beenOrlando's premier authentic English pub and one of the oldest and most popular pubs for both locals and visitors. Features live European sports, an authentic English menu and a wide assortment of beers, lagers and ales.
    cricketersarmspub.com/ 407-354-0686

The Harp and Celt Restaurant and Irish Pub
    Built with Irish influence by aDublin carpenter and designer, The Harp and Celt offers Irish homemade food, a complete selection of beers and spirits, classic Irish music and live soccer and rugby coverage.
    harpandcelt.com 407-481-2927

Fiddler's Green
    An authentic Irish experience, Fiddler's serves traditional Irish fare, live Irish entertainment and more than 23 beers on tap.
    fiddlersgreenorlando.com/ 407-645-2050

Fox and Hounds Pub
    Hoist a Stella Artois or another well-known beer from across the pond at the Fox & Hound. The bar is a favorite place to watch a soccer team on the big screen TV. The eatery serves fish and chips, shepherd's pie and other British pub foods.
    407-847-9927

Raglan Road Irish Pub
    Orlando's truly authentic Irish pub, built entirely in Ireland and offering authentic Irish food, beer and spirits. Also features nightly live entertainment featuring an Irish house band and Irish dancers.
    Raglanroadirishpub.com 407-938-0300
    Hotels/Resorts and Local Restaurants

The Clubhouse
    Both locations, Downtown Orlando andSand Lake Road, will televise games on 25 plasma TV screens. Live entertainment and drink specials, depending on the night.
    orlandoclubhouse.com 407-447-5225 (Downtown Orlando); 407-363-9103 (Sand Lake Road)

ESPN Club at Disney's BoardWalk
    As well as Walt Disney World acting as an official FIFA viewing site, guests at the ESPN Club can cheer on their favorite team while watching the games from 100 screens throughout the restaurant.
    disneyworld.com 407-393-5100

Finnegan's Bar and Grill
    Finnegan's Bar and Grill is both a lively pub and a full-service restaurant and will show games throughout the series.
    Universalorlando.com 407-224-3613

Hard Rock Café
    Hard Rock CafeOrlando is the biggest Hard Rock Cafe in the world. The restaurant will be showing various games throughout the series.
    hardrock.com 407-351-7625

Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
    The hotel will show the World Cup Games in the Whitehorse Sports Bar and Grill on multiple televisions.
    grandcypress.hyatt.com 407-239-1234

Renaissance Orlando Resort at SeaWorld
    The hotel will show all World Cup games at Boardwalk Sports Bar. They will also be offering specials depending on the timing of the games.
    renaissanceseaworldorlando.com 407-351-5555

Tuscana Resort
    The resort will televise the games daily at their poolside Tavern and specialty drinks will be offered.
    tuscana.net 407-787-4800

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    so wait , americans actually appreciate fotball ( its not soccer) ;) 

3. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    This one does!

Unfortunately, I sort of prefer the Champions League to the WC, but I still watch it anyway.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most of those places are quite a ways a way from the Swan/Dolphin if I remember correctly.

I would love to chill on some World Cup with some fellow TFW people, but I don't know how feasible it is. Getting to Downtown Disney from the Swan/Dolphin requires a bus ride or someone with a car.

Unfortunately I know for a fact that I will be missing the Wednesday USA game due to trolling around Epcot with Gog and Buzz.

But if there's a group of people getting together somewhere during the weekend to watch some games then I will do my best to attend. I'll have to make sure I have a couple of jerseys with me in the suitcase for the weekend :) 

5. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oops. I stand corrected. I totally skimmed over the ESPN thing in the introductory paragraph. The ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill should be within walking distance (for some reason I was thinking Downtown Disney, not the boardwalk). And they are having World Cup Viewing Parties!

More here: FIFA World Cup Viewing Parties | Pro Sports | ESPN Wide World of Sports

And some of the games will be available to watch in 3D. Also those of you wanting to go to ESPN to watch on Saturday/Sunday/Monday those jump up to "premiere" times which they are strongly suggesting a reservation for. More details on that here:

Round of 16 Quarter Finals Semi Finals and 3rd Place

I am strongly considering reserving myself a spot for 10 and 2:30 on Saturday...Possibly 10 on Sunday too. I don't need to spend a lot of time at the BotCon sales floor. :) 

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. cylence

cylence Always the quiet one..

News Credits:
    Yeah, I figure ESPN will be the best place to go, but that it may be crowded. The reservation idea sounds ideal, but being my first botcon, I'm not sure how the usual schedule plays out.

7. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually I did get confused. Theres the ESPN Club at the boardwalk and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill. The Wide World of Sports Grill (what I posted links to) requires a bus ride, and a ticket for entry.

From what I can tell, the ESPN Club doesn't open until 11:30 which would mean you wouldn't be able to catch the 10 am games there, unless they have special hours for World Cup games which would rule.

Fox and Hound would be cool too except you need an Epcot ticket, and the World Showcase doesn't open until 11, meaning you would miss a good portion of the 10 am games in that scenario as well.

I want to make it to WWoS for one of the games, but it looks like it will be a bus ride from Disney Hollywood Studios, followed by $11 admission to the WWoS complex, followed by a $19.99 charge for your reserved seat/buffet/etc. I will probably try to hit one game at Fox and Hound and the rest at the ESPN Club on the boardwalk. Since I am mainly going for vacation and to see friends, I have no problems skipping a bunch of panels, so I most likely will spend a lot of time in Orlando away from the convention.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  8. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    Oh cool, a list of places to avoid then. ;)