Botcon update - re selling Primus packages on eBay

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Draven, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Presumably they are talking about this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-Botcon-Ultimate-Admittance-Package-LIMITED-TIME_W0QQitemZ260127932789QQihZ016QQcategoryZ753QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    I wonder if the winning bidder realises they won't actually GET the whole package, just the toys. Interesting that the seller has suddenly decided to offer the "option" to just have the 5 figure box set, and nothing else.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    FP speak on the subject of people selling Primus packages on eBay

I started a thread about it in N&R, but I figured it was a very important point and so should be mentioned in here too. Mods, feel free to merge the threads if you deem it necessary; I just know that a fair few people have been tempted to buy sets on eBay and I don't want to see anyone get ripped off...

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, just saw the email myself. I was kind of amused by it too until I realized what they were talking about. Though I find the guy selling the package more amusing I must say.

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Really? Folks have been trying to ebay the package?

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Well a preorder for a package from someone who is actually going is one thing, but then there's this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-Botcon-Ultimate-Admittance-Package-LIMITED-TIME_W0QQitemZ260127932789QQihZ016QQcategoryZ753QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    This guy isn't going, and he's offering to transfer his Primus Package so someone else can go to Botcon instead of him. And as the email from FP specifies explicitly, that is not possible. At best, the winning bidder would get the contents of a non-attending package. They wouldn't get admission to botcon, attendee exclusive, or anything.

6. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I think it's just the one guy - It's not like it's an epidemic...

Fun Pub is just giving fair warning that they won't transfer the package.

He needs to convert it to an Iacon package.... He'll still turn a profit selling the toys....

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Didn't FP allow primus packages to be transferred last year? For some reason I thought I remembered Liokaiser telling me at Botcon last year that he had one of the two Primus packages he bought transfered to someone else's name so he would be able to get two sets of exclusives.

8. rework

If they did allow it, I imagine this will put a stop to it.

Imagine the uproar if people started buying 10 packages to the show, waited until it sold out and then started scalping them on Ebay! (And, yes, that would definitly be a legitimate case of scapling!)

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Very much so, if the last few preorder auctions are anything to go by.
    I just didn't want anyone to bid on an auction like this, if others do turn up, and think they'd be getting admission to Botcon when there's a very good chance they won't.

10. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    ^Actually I purchase both set's under my name(one for me, one for Alpha & Omega). I bought my father-in-law to be able to pick up a seconded set of exclusives. At first I was told that I would be able to purchase two primus package and be able to get two sets of con only exclusives, then I was told otherwise.

11. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Which is also why FP put the rule in place about buying the attendee only exclusives, so dealers who bought 50 primus packages, for example, (all under his name) would only be able to purchase one set of attendee only exclusives.

12. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Actually, the guy in line in front of me last year was picking up his seven Primus packages.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when I saw him do that last year I was told the he would be allowed to buy souvenir sets for EACH Primus package he got, not just one for each person.

13. rework

Hmmm. Weak.

No, I take that back. Packages DIDN'T sell out last year, so I can't really see a problem with it. And I guess that the price on the Megatron set made it profitable.

If anything he paid 7x for all the other show services that he used. The use of the room, the dinner, etc. He just made the show more affordable for the rest of us.

14. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

The only way you can pick up one then 1 primus pack and get the attending excluisve is by having a different name for each. Myself When I get my deal booth paper work I will be able to pick up all 4 primus packages, ! for me, 1 for the wife, 1 each for my 2 nephews. That 4, and I have to have all 3 of them there with me to pick all of them up.

15. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    As I understand the rule, the guy who bought 7 Primus sets would only get one Tigertron, not only one (say) Megatron/Waspinator set.

But I could be wrong.... I only bought one Primus set, because I only needed one.

EDIT: Indeed I was wrong. Upon checking the e-mail I got from Brian last year (dated 9/25/06) this was how it was supposed to work:

16. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    People who say "I will go to the con for you and sell you my set" are scalpers of the worst kind!

17. rework

Really? I see that putting a negative spin on someone on a budget who wants to go to the con trying to make ends meet.

Now if they were doing that with seven packages to a show that is sold out, that's a different issue....

18. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Not when they sell an ebay auction for more than the cost of a non-atendee package. and only advertise the things in the normal box set as being what you get.

19. rework

Well, still not "scalping". If it's a misleading auction description, maybe it's fraud. But I have a hard time crying scalper on an auction that starts at 99 cents, as the auction in this thread did.

20. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only if they sell it for 7x the price. I was going to pick up the bagged set and sell it to someone from the forums for at cost+shipping but ended up not doing it.