Botcon Tour and Customizing Class info

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ams, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, technically a movie screening would be "shove X number of people into a room at a time for 2 hours"** as compared to careful and guided tours of enclosed office space. ;) 

**with clubs and axes

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Because botcon toys are limited. I dont want to see classic characters that everyone wants produced in numbers that keep everyone from getting them.

3. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

It'd be awesome if it were all three. I'd laugh pretty hard.

4. canprime

canprime Well-Known Member

Yes, but the weekend events don't provide transportation to said events. The movie last year was only down the road from the hotel, but you still had to get there yourself.

My point was that if it was going to just be part of the weekend events, it was prohibitively far from Providence.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

But if the alternative is them not getting produced at all, which is seeming more and more likely given the fast-approaching movie toys, what's wrong with at least some fans getting them?

6. canprime

Nothing, as long as you are one of the fans who gets those toys.:lol 

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I don't know, I think it'd be really ridiculous for them to make exclusives that nobody wants. Making exclusives that the entire fandom would want makes perfect sense as it shows the people who paid that they aren't wasting their money, and it gives incentive for people who didn't pay to pay-up next time around.

I was going, but due to circumstances won't be able to make it. That doesn't change my stance on exclusives. I still think they should make the toys that people want, and not worry about angering people who didn't want to buy the exclusives. As much as I want the rest of the seekers, seeing them as BotCon exclusives wouldn't bother me a bit. I actually think it's a pretty good idea.

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how I feel too. I totally understand where folks are coming from when they say they don't want the exclusives to be popular and highly desirable characters.... but it's looking more and more like Classics is finished. And I'd rather have a rare, overpriced figure than no figure at all; at least then you can make the choice for yourself whether or not it is worth the premium.

9. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, dang, the customizing classes start at 9? I'm not getting there until around 11 on Thursday, I was hoping I'd still be able to make one...

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'd prefer them to never be produced over having a small, expensive run that fans that most people would never be able to get.

of course, I'll get them if they do turn out to be the exclusive figures. I won't be happy about it, but I'll get them.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Fingers very much crossed on that front.
    Not so keen on that. Smacks of "give more money, push to the head of the queue" to me.

12. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how do you sign up?

13. canprime

That's part of the benefit. If you show up for the tours or classes, then you get a head start on picking up your exclusives. That is great if you spend the extra money, you get the added benefit of being first to pick up your toys. In the end it doesn't really matter to me since last year you didn't have to worry until Friday about getting what you wanted.

14. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I agree.

15. canprime

Actually, I am disappointed this year for the classes. I didn't go last year and this year I want to, but only 25 people for a class that they added a second one to last year?

Also, I am disappointed that the 2 classes run at the same time. I would have liked to try and go to both.

16. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Don't know if I'm sad that I'm not interested in any of the tours (was hoping for a Hasbro tour) or relieved that I will spend that money on the toys.

The customizing class OTOH, seems to be the winner of all the pre-activities. I'll try to get into it this year ... but I guess I'll need luck. I also find it odd that FP didn't schedule 2 customizing classes on the go, seeing how successful that activity was last year.

-airfox

17. Galvarez

Galvarez Veteran

How is anything the club/convention produces be considered a slap in the face?

18. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What *I* would like? (Not that my opinion matters)

Make Thundercracker, Ramjet, and Thrust (only the latter needed a remolding) CLUB exclusives later down the line (a 3 pack would be nifty). Let the BOTCON ones be other things like Bludgeon, Nightbeat, etc.

Chris

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    How is putting desirable main line figures out as a convention exclusive with a high price and limited production run not a slap in the face? Nemesis Prime touched on this problem back during SDC. In my opinion, it's be the same as if Alternator Ravage and Rumble were exclusives, or even Megatron in the Classics line. EVERYONE collecting the line will want them, partially because they want to finish the line, and partially because they love the characters.

Past convention exclusives have bypassed this potential problem by having the toys be entirely new characters, or desirable characters who were part of their own little sub-lines, like last year's set. yeah, beast wars characters, but not part of beast wars.

I know that this years exclusives are supposed to be in the Classics line. It's bad enough that major characters like skywarp, magnus, and devastator in the line were store exclusives, a lot of fans will be outraged if any more are convention exclusives. the only way I can see the fans (and myself) accepting of convention exclusive classics is if they use molds from OLDER lines instead of the classics line, so retail releases of the characters in new or existing classic molds in the future won't be ruled out. Hasbro already said that the classics line might continue in the future. a lot of us are holding onto that one sentence with a lot of hope.

in case I'm not making my point clear enough, imagine how outraged fans would be if the only release of Wolverine in the Marvel Legends line was a convention exclusive. Thats how a lot of us would feel if we saw Thundercracker in the same situation.

20. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On the bright side, I doubt enough people will drop $80 on a tour to skew the souvinir availability to any palpable extent. :D