BotCon Thievery

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by NebulanFree, Aug 11, 2007.

1. NebulanFree

NebulanFree Destron Saboteur

I've seen it mentioned offhand in a few threads, but I wanted to get a solid concensus of how often this sort of thing actually happens. What all went missing at BotCon 2007? What about other Cons? Is this something that is getting worse?

So far for 2007, missing items include:
    Custom Motormaster & Notebook
    Headmaster Spike

I realize the MotorMaster was sitting out in the open after the show, but where/how was the Spike displayed before it disappeared? Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening further?

-Neb

2. King_Grimlock

King_Grimlock Well-Known Member

The table behind mine had a MIB Swoop and Grimlock stolen from the back of their table. The dude next to me moved his tables so he could have a gap in between his tables and mine(which I thought was a good idea at the time) which opened up the opportunity for someone to go and snag the items off of the shelf behind us. Bad decision...

3. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Megamus had his Fangry weapons stolen from his table.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Whereever there are people, there will be thieves. It's unfortunate, but there it is.

Worst part is that having enough staff to actually secure your table would stand to cut into your profit margin so much as to make going to the show pointless.

5. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The worst one was at OTFCC in Chicago, some a55hole was stealing and actually leaving a calling card after taking something

Also at a Transforce here in the UK I had some Japanese dino cassettes stolen

Harsh

6. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

I'd always hope that it wasn't fellow fans who were doing the thieving but it must be.
    So depressing that people'd be that petty to steal anything never mind the rare stuff.
    Next Botcon we should organise a TFW vigilante group for table guarding or beatings of the offenders.

7. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    No way. :stick:  Those must be guarded with extreme force.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I still want to find the motherfuckers who were talking loudly through Shaun and Bill's moment of silence.
    I find it impossible to understand why people would steal things like this. I suppose the world's just full of scumbags, and TF collecting is no exception.:( 

9. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

Agreed. I'll bring a pistol. For pistol-whipping.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was actually going to post this, because you shared that story with me when I visited your table. Unreal.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Didn't someone steal something from Hasbro one year? Like at their booth, I thought someone lost their notebook or their sketchpad, etc.

12. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wasn't that Pat Lee in like 2003?

13. K1dnotorious

K1dnotorious Old Skool Like Kup

yeah it would be kinda cool to have real bloodstains on a masterpeice Megatron...EEEEvil

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  14. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I would gladly beat the fuck out any thive. Using a 20th aniversary prime as a club. Real battle damage!

15. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    In the words of Mister T...."I pity the fool" that tries that at my Con.

Seriously,if someone tries that at my Con,they're gonna get a beat down of epic proportions.

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a person with a little experience in loss prevention, I wandered the Botcon tables thinking how easily it would be to grab stuff here and there. Hopefully there were people watching tables that I didn't notice- otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to hear more stories like this in the future. Of course, most businesses don't advertise when they're stolen from- it just makes the thieves out there think 'easy target.'

-Tony!

17. VIZGIX

VIZGIX Smug Bastard TFW2005 Supporter

off topic, but at a pre-release of a MTG (Magic the Gathering) set. A JUDGE, A JUDGE stole someones backpack. A JUDGE.

that is a big deal in card games.

He got caught by a mall copper, though, soo all was good

kinda like people on the news telling terrorists our week points? " Well The only type of terrorist attack we are not prepared for is ______" ----- bad example, but you get my point

18. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking the same things...and whenever I'd go deep into a table, I wanted to make it very apparent that nothing was on my person as I exited the table. Or if I was looking at/intending to purchase something, I made it very obvious that I had a piece of merchandise in my hands, not dropping my hands low to my sides or anything. Was just respect for the vendors, I don't want to make their lives more difficult.

Whoever was going for a five-finger discount in the dealer room is a piece of scum of the highest order.

19. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

When I vend at Botcon, I'm going to invite my good friend Joe Pesci.

20. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    I don't have a story like these, but I've got a story. At the awards party I went out for a smoke with the small group I was with. I had my goodies bag THAT EVERYONE ATTENDING GOT with me. I turned around a minute to talk to some of the 2005ers I had met or was familiar with. When I turned around again, the bag I had set directly behind me on a bench was gone. Not misplaced, gone. I really only wanted the shirt to be honest and found a couple back inside who gave me one of theirs cuz they felt sorry for me. I made sure to tell them several times how awesome that was. But really, we all got a bag. Why take someone else's too. That's just dick.