Botcon Slice?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GeoKaiser, Jul 3, 2010.

?

Botcon Slice: Shattered Glass Wheeljack or G1.5 Slicer?

1. Shattered Glass Wheeljack

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. G1.5 Slicer

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Mechabot-1/Omegatron TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Is Botcon Slice intended to be Shattered Glass Wheeljack (purple autobot symbol on toys chest) or the G1.5 Actionmaster Slicer (purple decepticon symbol on the car doors)?

The tech spec implies G1.5, but the purple autobot symbol is hard to ignore...

I also find it inconsistent to give Pyro (Spark) a G2 symbol but Turbomaster (Scorch) has a G1 symbol...

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't received the comic yet, but going by the bios, I'd say the Scorch G1-symbol thing is fairly well-explained... he isn't really an Earth-born Autobot (who wear the G2 symbols) but a Cybertron-born bot who got a transfer to the Earth unit. Right? Someone set me straight if I'm wrong.

Re: Slicer, I think I'm likely in the minority here, but I'll probably place him with the Shattered Glass folks. Shattered Glass isn't everyone's bag, but I like it, and having an SG Wheeljack would seem to fill a bigger gap in my collection than a Slicer (who I can't say I ever missed).

I also still like the idea that they are actually the same guy... SG Wheeljack is a little more "mad" than his normal-universe cousin, who's to say he's not a multiple personality as well?

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The Autobot symbol was already sculpted onto the chest, so they just painted it purple so the toy can more easily be repurposed as Shattered Glass Wheeljack.

4. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well ha can work in both fandom universes. i like the whole shattered glass verse, but only cared for a few from the botcon set.

i think the fact that a lot of fans wanted a SG wheeljack, and that the figure has a molded autobot symbol that they painted purple, has given fans a choice. but the thing to me is, if there was a real SG wheeljack, would this be his paint scheme? prob not which is why i consider him to be a CON and slicer.

5. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is oficially the unofficial Shattered Glass Wheeljack. Per some of the staff, they went ahead and painted the symbol so that he can be used either way, because they know they're not going to do pretty much the same exact toy again to be Wheeljack.

6. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sort of agree with this. To me, in order for him to "officially" be SG Wheeljack, you'd need some official story or explanation as to how Slicer and SG Wheeljack are really the same character (or how Wheeljack "took" Slicer's colors the way Sideswipe "took" Drench's colors). Otherwise, the fact that SG Wheeljack is the exact same color as Slicer doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

In spite of this, he'll always be MY SG Wheeljack, because I prefer to use him that way. I'm just not sure that's "officially" what he is.

7. ruinationawaken

ruinationawaken Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    dimension hopper

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Officially, he is Slicer. But, the Downshift toy has a molded Autobot symbol that they weren't going to pay to remove, so they painted it purple. FunPub likes to repurpose their own figures to fit other characters (for instance, they released Energon Arcee in Moonracer colors as Chromia in the 05 set, cos they couldn't get the name Moonracer. Her bio explicitly makes her Chromia. But, in more recent fiction, they're using the same toy for Moonracer), and no doubt, they planned this ahead of time so that Slicer could be both himself and Wheeljack, depending on which character you prefer in your collection. Officially, for the purposes of this convention and its comic, he is Slicer. However, the SG fiction has ALREADY shown SG Wheeljack to be the Downshift toy in these colors. It's a retroactive repurpose!

(frankly, I don't really think they had to paint the symbol. It's so tiny that if it had gone unpainted, you wouldn't even see it in a poorly lit room)

As for the inconsistency in who gets G1 symbols and who gets G2, it's actually not inconsistent, but accurate to the characters. Scorch was never released in G2. He was released very close to G2, but unlike some of the other late G1 Euro characters, he never got re-released in G2 pacakaging. So him, and all of the other characters that never set foot in G2 (Sky-byte and the Sharkticons, Double Punch, Slicer), got to keep their G1 logos, but the rest of the characters, who were released in G2 in some form, got to use the symbols that made more sense for the set.

9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    He's animation error Slicer. In homage to the long running heritage of Transformers having mis-colored or even the wrong type of faction symbol applied to their person during the cartoons comes our first ever animation error figure! He's a one of a kind, folks!

...now, who wants to sell me one, cheap? :D 

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Officially he's Slice. So neither SG Wheeljack or Slicer. Or both SG Wheeljack and Slicer!!!

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I personally think the big honkin' Decepticon logos on the doors are much harder to ignore than the little purple Autobot symbol which at a quick glance could be mistaken for a Decepticon symbol or a random detail.

For me, he'll always be a homage to Slicer. I love that character.

12. GeoKaiser

GeoKaiser Mechabot-1/Omegatron TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's my leaning as well...