Botcon Shattered Glass 2012 Optimus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ORIO, Mar 13, 2012.

1. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Yeah. People getting upset at this, I don't get.

It's Shattered Glass Prime complete with face-taking action! The mold with the original head will work really well for the character.

Just because it doesn't float my boat all that much doesn't mean it sucks. Heck - I'll be honest, this might be a better deco than Ultra Magnus' colors.

I may not particularly want this right now, but I could easily be sold on it. Great deco, plus giving an already insane Optimus Prime a sword is a recipe for disaster fictionwise.

Now I want to know why he has the new body - is it an upgrade to try and counter SG Galvatron, or is it him rebuilt after a near-death/death experience?

....And dammit all, the more I talk about this, the more I'm interested given I have SG Galvatron, and it would be a rival for him. (Mind, my Galvatron's missing his propellor/missiles, but all the same...)

EDIT: And if this is Octopunch's buddy, well, looks like I'll definitely get both then. Octopunch is a must for me, and getting a Battle Tanker with an appropriate deco would be amazing.

2. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    A must? More like an inevitability. :lol 

Kind of a dumb idea on FunPub's part to create a second Shattered Glass Optimus Prime, but then again, we do have two Botcon G2 Breakdowns, so I shouldn't be surprised. :dunce 

Eh...I may get it, simply because I like the mold, but I'm withholding judgment until we see the robot mode pics.

3. WreckageGhost

WreckageGhost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So prime gets down graded to a bad toy if this is real?

How meh.

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    That's how Shattered Glass works. Upgrades are actually downgrades.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Interesting. On one hand this will be sort of redundant for folks who already have the original SG Prime. I think I would have rather seen the spot given to a new character who hadn't received an SG toy yet (maybe SG Motormaster, with his sword... in Silverbolt colors! :) ). And it seems to slightly reduce the possibility of this mold someday showing up as Toxitron.

On the other hand, that mold is gonna look great in the SG colors. And it will give people who DIDN'T get the first SG Prime a chance to finally have a proper leader for their SG Autobots. Also, in terms of symmetry, I guess it'll be nice to have an upgraded (well, if you can call getting downsized to a deluxe mold an "upgrade") Prime to go alongside SG Galvatron.

Hm, that is an alarming possibility. Well, at least with Toxitron. I don't think they'd do that with Nemesis Prime/Scourge, I suspect that one will still make its way to actual retail.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Wasn't suprised. I knew they may go for this evenutlly but still it's neat. Now if they make an RID Scourge style repaint that'll be great!

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    How so, Given the fact he commands like $600 on ebay clearly there are people who still want a SG Optimus, this allows FP to cater to those fans without angering others by producing more of the 2008 toy (which would never happen anyways)

8. Emperor Zarak

Emperor Zarak Decepticon Emperor

News Credits:
    looks nice,but I'd prob rather want to have the OG one from 08

9. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    Maketoys Shattered Glass Battle Tanker anyone?

10. General Tekno

News Credits:
    Exactly. This strikes me as a good idea. It's a way to get a character back out there without devaluing the original Botcon toy.

Heck - the more I think about it, the more I'm going "if this looks good in botmode, I want it". I really like this mold, after all, despite the short stature.

Plus, SHATTERED GLASS PRIME NOW HAS FACE-TAKING ABILITIES.

With Battle Tanker though, I'll be honest in saying I sorta would love to see a third party do an alternate tanker where the spare parts mount on the back as a tank and connect to hoses in the gauntlets. It strikes me that giving SG Prime some sort of corrosive fluid in the backpack is more in keeping with the character.

11. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Meh.

12. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Yeah someone did a mockup of Magnus in the current BT Armor at it looks fine. so I'm probably gonna order it once I have Magnus in hand. but yeah a second special one might work too. regardless despite all the hate, This is the best botcon set in a long time, definelty in the top three, but I think the "at con figures" may be the best there is.

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Good idea, just not interested

so glad so far there isn't any I want to keep, makes selling them off so much easier

14. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    ^
    Pretty much this.

Besides, Megatron got an upgrade into SG Galvatron(some would say downgrade, personally I also prefer the original SG Megatron), why not Prime? :p 

15. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Well, Personal opinion and all but I think SG Megatron is the single finest Toy Botcon has ever put out, so anything would seem like a "downgrade" but I am 99.9999% happy with my SG Galvatron.

16. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm a fan of Shattered Glass. I like this mold but I really don't like the re-use of this color scheme. I can understand them wanting to use it because it seems in demand but the G2 Prime would seem to need different colors for shattered glass. Meh. I'll wait to see better pics.

17. Quicky

Quicky TRANSFORM and ROLL OUT!!!

Ebay:
    Agreed, IMO this mold cannot compete with the original Prime Classics mold. The robot mode will have to be absolutely amazing deco wise if FP wants to trump their original SG Prime.

18. General Tekno

News Credits:
    Wouldn't say "top three" in my own opinion - I'd rank this on or above the level of the 2009 and 2007 sets, and better than 2005's for sure, but G2, SG, TFA, and Beast Wars all outrank this one from my personal POV.

But to each their own. And considering how much unwarranted hate this set's gotten, it's good that people are liking it.

19. Reflector Prime

Reflector Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going to be worth $500 a month later. Piss on it all you want you sallies.

20. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I've got it ranked pretty highly too :)  Love the way it homages the original G1 Megatron design. It's also great that they decided to use one of the best Megatron molds they've ever put out. I just wish it had a little bit more articulation. The original SG Prime, though, man, tough figure to beat, I think that Classics molds is probably one of the best Prime toys outside of the MP line.