Botcon Set Questions - buying it

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tehKOREANdude, Feb 25, 2011.

1. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It may not catch fire like the 07 set but I don't think it's going to bomb like th 05 set so I don't see the set being any less than retail (what Funpub would sell it for) and likely around at least the $400-500 range aftermarket. Bottom line, I don't see the set being less than what Funpub will sell it for so I wouldn't hold my breath and wait for cheaper than retail price aftermarket.

Now what you CAN do is wait for someone to sell a loose set which could be less aftermarket than what you'd have to pay for a boxset retail. In case anyone who doesn't know asks, no you can't order the loose set from Funpub without first buying the boxset. So if you only want the loose set then you have to wait for aftermarket OR buy the boxset AND loose set and then sell the boxset. Loose set is usually a bit more than half the price of the boxset retail as far as I recall.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I plan to get this set and i can get the cash involved, its just a matter of when it goes on sale to preorder it, if its too son i won't have the cash and will have to try to get a set later on the secondary market. If the preorders are next month i am out of luck if they don't start until April i can pull it off.

3. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I hope you are right. I like to see successful Botcons. Always bodes well for future conventions.

I think the 2005 one deserves a bit of a pass. That was the first year with Fun Pub taking the reigns. And even so, I think Deathsaurus is still one of the best Botcon figures to date. That head sculpt is amazing. Heck, people went nuts for the Ironhide from the boxed set. I'd argue it's a better ironhide than the Universe one.

As for current prices vs the "retail" prices (the Fun Pub prices), a few of the recent sets are struggling to reach the "retail" price. So the 2005 one is not the only culprit. Just check some recent eBay auctions. The 09 and 10 sets are struggling to fetch $300. While the Elite Guard theme is, admittedly weak, I think last year's G2 Redux was a novel idea. That said, that 2010 G2 set is struggling. The real gems from 2010 are found outside of the boxed set (Rapido, Glit/SG Ravage, Sharkticons). If anything, I think the souvenir/freebie figures have been a bigger after market hit than the boxsets. Darksyde Megatron/Waspinator, SG Megatron/SG Rodimus, Clear Mirage, Alpha Trion/Weirdwolf, Sweeps, Banzai-Tron/Skyquake, Leozack and the Sharkticons are all proof of that.

As I said before, I would wait. If this set even approaches the $400 mark on eBay and such, that would be an accomplishment. Such a price is only about $50 more than the estimated $350 retail tag. I just don't see the need to freak out over this set. My tune, however, might change once Fun Pub starts to accept orders. We shall see.

4. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suppose it's a crap shoot to wait or not. On the one hand, if you wait and the price explodes then you'll pay ridiculous aftermarket price. If you buy from funpub and it bombs then it loses value. The way I see it though, even if it bombs it'll only go lower than $50 or at most $100 off retail. If it explodes though, you could see paying 2 or 3 times retail. However, it seems you are banking on this set not doing too well so time will tell.

Yeah, generally speaking convention only/free souvenir figures go for higher and it makes sense. You can only get those by going to the conventions (or if they have any left buy online from funpub but rarely happens) and usually are made in lower quantities than boxsets.

Not only is the 05 set the only one NOT to sell out but it's STILL available for sale on TFCC's store, albeit loose set. But I suppose it does deserve a bit of a pass for being Funpub's 1st convention boxset.