Botcon Set Questions - buying it

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tehKOREANdude, Feb 25, 2011.

1. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello, TFW2005 community. As the thread topic might have given away, I have questions about attaining this year's botcon set! Gasp! Anyways, I was just wondering how much these go for on the after market on, say, Ebay. Are the sales usually better on Ebay, or on the Junkion Exchange here at TFW? Are Botcon sets ever sold through official retailers or other TF buying websites like TFCC or TFSource? How are those deals? Also, are there any other ways to acquire these sets? I know that in the Junkion exchange thread, there are threads devoted to helping people acquire figures, having the buyers pay no more than retail price and shipping. Would/has an attendee bought a second set and sold it at the buying price to just help a fan out?

Basically, what's the best/cheapest way for a non-attendee to get these Stunticons?

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you would probably be better off just joining the club instead of hoping these sets are cheap.

You never know with Club toys.... This set may turnout to be the hottest thing since P/CP (Which went from 60 to 200 in about a week) or it could be dead on arrival like Astrotrain.

If you want the set, pay 40 bucks, get Sideburn for free and preorder it.:2c: 

3. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:

You wouldn't get any deals from TFSource.

You're also fairly unlikely find someone who will just get you a set at cost out of the goodness of their ehhhh....'heart'.

I don't see the set loosing value any time soon. It's quite likely to appreciate.

I'd suggest you just preorder it asap.

4. caecae22

caecae22 Fifth Face of Darkness

Twitter:
    wher do you preorder it from

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    And then sell me the Sideburn

6. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I assume you are not aware that you can buy the set directly from Funpub without attending Botcon? So the cheapest way is to join the club and get the non-attendee package if you can't attend the con. The non-attendee package price would be the same as if you bought the package AND plan to attend. To get these at "retail" prices from some place other than FunPub themselves you'd have to be really lucky. Why try your luck you when you can just buy it straight from FunPub? But to answer some of your other questions. After market price varies but can be substantially high depending on the demand. Gauging the comments from people here regarding the set, this year's set looks like it's going to be popular so aftermarket price is going to be up there. Just to give you an idea of price. The most popular sets from years past has gone for about 3 times the retail price (what Funpub sells them for). Some very popular individual figures goes as high as 5 or 6 times its retail. Sites like TFW usually has better prices than ebay. Finally, some retailers like TFsource and BBTS do get some sets in and sell them on their site. They set their prices roughly based on how much they are going for on Ebay so don't expect any deals from those retailers.

Edit: BTW, in case you are wondering how much the set would be...sets in the past ranges around $300-400 so I'd expect this year's set to be around there as well. That's the "retail" price (price Transformers Collector's Club AKA Funpub will sell it for). So I hope when you say "retail" you are not expecting $12 for the deluxe Stunticons and $20 for Voyager Motormaster. So when I say the aftermarket can go for about 3 times "retail" yes I mean it can possibly go for around $1000 for the set aftermarket.

7. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Transformers Collectors Club website once they put up the registration for Botcon. On the registration it will give you an option to buy the set as a non-attendee. You don't go to Botcon but they will mail you the set after Botcon is over.

8. caecae22

Twitter:
    is that the animated set and do you have to be a member

9. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Yes, it's the animated set. No, you don't have to be a member but the non-member non-attendee price is basically $40 more (or more for international) so might as well sign up as a member so that you can get the free figure plus 6 magazines along with the animated set. Otherwise you end up paying $40 more than members do and only get the animated set. I hope that makes sense. Don't know if I'm clear enough sorry.

10. caecae22

Twitter:
    oh okay i get ya

11. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

I think that extra forty you pay is to sign you up for the club though, so either way you will be a member. I could be wrong though.

12. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

After market prices haven't exactly been strong for the last 2 Botcon sets (09 and 10). They usually hover around $275 - $325. So it might be worthwhile to wait. However, if the set catches fire, you could pay a lot more. The 2006-2008 sets are examples of that.

Personally, I would wait. I can't foresee an Animated set catching fire. The look is too stylized. People either love it or hate it. I think that will be a problem for this set's after market price.

13. caecae22

Twitter:
    how muck is it through the tfcc

14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    The price has not been announced yet but based on past sets this years set should be roughly $310.

15. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Yeah, that sounds about right. Of course one needs to add another $40 to that total if he or she is not a member already. So for new members, probably looking at $350.

16. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    For international members, that $40 membership price is more than doubled at $89.

17. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Am I the only one that thinks that this year's set should cost a little less than last years? Last year we had 1 voyager, 3 deluxes and 1 ultra. This year we have 1 voyager and 4 deluxes. They replaced 1 ultra with a deluxe. That is a significant step down. I think that the overall price should reflect that. I'm not saying a lot less, just a little would be appropriate.

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That will depend on several factors. If the set is what we have seen, and the bonus toy turns out to be a deluxe as normal, then it should cost less than the last few years - probably a little more than the 2007 set did.

However, they did say there is still a big Animated announcement for next week. This could be, say, the sisth, "not a Stunticon" member of Motormaster's team, which could bring the boxset more in line with the recent ones.

Another possibility is that the attendeee figure may be larger. For instance, the rumored Animated Toxitron would undoubtedly be the voyager Prime mold as well if true. If that was the attendee figure, it would also bring the set size up to par, and the cost of that figure is accounted for in the cost of the packages to begin with, no doubt.

19. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Big announcement? Marauder Megatron!!! Lol.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    there is a pretty big animated following, so i could see it "catching fire" as you've said