Botcon Registration Experience

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Smasher, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Let's discuss our experiences registering for Botcon.

I have to admit that the whole registration process left a bad taste in my mouth. This is my first time going to Botcon, so maybe some of the problem is just that I didn't know what to expect. But honestly, I don't think that wanting to know exactly what you are paying for when you sign up, and having a well laid out design is expecting too much.

The information of what you get is really hard to decipher.
    Even the Botcon pdf has more fluff than substance. It's really hard to decipher what exactly you get for each package. The fact that the Minicon package is tied to the Primus package is several lines of text deep.

The actual registration process was not intuitive.

There's all this information about screen names and member names that I wasn't prepared for. And it wasn't until I was actually registering the Minicon package that I realized that my being a member of the TCC had no bearing on the price of the Minicon package. The person using the Minicon package has to be a member to get the reduced price.

And all the while I'm trying to read and decipher this information there's a timer telling me to hurry up. Nothing hinders making an informed buying decision more than a red countdown timer.

The registration went live late on a Friday afternoon so I missed my first day of registration bonus pin.

And frankly, I'm surprised that Botcon still hasn't listed their guests.
    Is Peter Cullen going to be there? Frank Welker? Michael Bay?
    Or is it just going to be the guy who voiced caveman kid from Beast Wars?
    I don't know, but I sure have to hurry up and register because the Primus packages are 40% sold out.

2. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Botcon S_T_A_F_F

News Credits:
    well last i heard they were 60% sold out and yes thats how they roll. But this was the first year i was able to go right threw with out a problem. Also you needed to read the on line brochure then you wouldnt have felt rushed. Now i was told that family could you my discount when i reg. this is not true now i got an email that they needed to change the prices so i dont know whats up with that hope this helps

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Oh, I read it all before I registered -but I still felt rushed.
    The information needs to be laid out more like a menu and less like a press release.
    I mean it could still contain all the information about how 'exciting' things are, yet still list an itemized compilation of what you get, and how much things cost. And it should list those things first.

Things like the screen name or the TCC name needed during registration weren't even hinted at.

And I was trying to consider whether I wanted to pay for a hat or a shirt, but the timer said I only had forty seconds left so I didn't buy anything.

4. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you a member of the club? I only ask because all of my info was already filled in when I signed in. While I agree that I hate the timer as it makes me feel like I'm taking a test. From my understanding the only people that can get your club discount are immediate family: parents, siblings, spouses and children. If they didn't have that timer, I think it wouldn't have been as aggravating as you would of had time to read and see everything. The timer is there to make sure people don't hold items (custom classes) and tie up everything else.

5. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    My only real problem (aside from the error screen I got and the uncertainty until I got my email) was how close this was to Christmas and Christmas Bills/Spending.

6. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If this pisses you off, wait until you get to the convention for registration and boxset pickup, lol.

I encourage all first timers to listen to one of the old Botcon podcasts before the convention. They give a lot of good information that will prepare you for the experience.

7. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Don’t be a jerk...

News Credits:
    Yes, listen to Seth Buzzard's 100% accurate Brian "we don't want to be here all night" Savage impression. I wasted 5.5 hours of my life to receive a wristband from a smarmy dude in high-heeled combat boots. Very insightful stuff.

8. mykticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A million times this ^
    Especially if your last name starts with any letter between F and I. You will truly learn what your limits are when waiting on toys. First you line up outside, then they break us down alphabetically, then wait. After a few hours for registration it's then off to the Club store lines where you choose whether you are paying in cash or credit. Then, wait at least another hour (depending on when you get in). There are lines for everything. Hell if you have someone with you, always get in line and send the other to the front of it to find out what it's for. Sometimes you are in line to get into a line. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.
    Bring snacks, Ipod and gaming device ( it helps pass the time). Strike up conversations, it's very easy (as we are all in the same boat).

9. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Don’t be a jerk...

News Credits:
    At times I felt my name started with FandU the way we were treated. :lol  And wear comfortable shoes.

10. Autobot City Comics 2008

News Credits:
    or just do a tour or custom class and go Wed night so much easier oh AND READ YOUR PICK UP TIME LETTER to see what time u are suppose to pick up (on thrus. night) it killed me to tell people they had to come back at a different time b/c they cant read. this is one reason i didnt volunteer this year again

11. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Sekai no Hakaishin

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes, what Dr. Prime said. Listen to the old Botcon podcasts they actually have good information and recommendations.

And yes to ACC recommendation, sign up either for a custom class or a tour since the wed pickup is less crowded and more flexible. And yes, make sure to read your pickup time letter! You dont want to arrive early to be told that you are in the last group for pickup at a latter time.

I did that before I went to the 2010 con and I am glad I used those recommendations and experience for 2011. Even though I wont be there this year, I know I will be on 2013 :) 

12. mykticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, that is why I was sooo glad I got into a class this year.

13. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    I have a Bad back and bad knees, the HOURS in line was pain that I cannot even describe.

14. Autobot City Comics 2008

News Credits:
    I gota tour on wed and class on thurs going to injoy this trip and NOT working for fun pub this year

15. n10zguy

n10zguy Well-Known Member

HEY HEY HEY! I like working for FunPub! Well I work the Club store all day on Thursday (which is why I love the Wed class so much :)  )

I did an FP one time back in 2009 and I will NEVER do it again... EVAR!!! But if you like what you see, GO FOR IT!!!

16. n10zguy

I have a friend in the same boat as you with the bad back and knees. He brought a roll-up chair to the last few package pick ups and swears by it!

17. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait..so is the customs class teaching you how to actually create custom figures..or what? I'm getting an impression that it's actually more like a convention orientation or something. *scratches bald pate* :wtf: 

18. n10zguy

Basically in the class you get a broken down kit (pieces still on the sprues) and the instrutor give you are guide for how to put it together and give lots of great helpful info on proper methods for preparing you pieces for painting and putting the figure together.

19. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Going to have to. Have to have it shipped to the hotel

20. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Ugh tell me about it, I think I do more exercise during botcon than I do the rest of the year :) 

Registration was painless this year very quick and easy with no issues.