Botcon Re-paints??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jaicen, May 4, 2010.

1. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can anybody explain why it is that most of the bot-con re-paint exclusives i've seen are blessed/cursed with such terrible neon-G2 style colours? Is it done to show that people really will buy anything if it's a 'limited edition'??

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The theme of this years Botcon is G2. Hence the colours.

Lots of fans like G2 and not many of the characters got toys beyond their initial run. Its great for some G2 characters to finally get an updated toy.

You can still go to Bot-Con and not buy the toys.

3. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never been to BotCon because I live in the UK, and i'm just not that committed ;) 
    It's not just this year that i'm thinking about, the last few years have been pretty terrible colour wise (sweeps i'm looking at you). I remember years back though when the exclusives were little mini-bots like a re-coloured windcharger, so kudos on the upscale.
    Oh, and for the record, I'm a Geewunner, so obviously anything G2 or Beast is abhorrent to me ;) 

4. MaxGoof

MaxGoof Preordained Soul

News Credits:
    What was wrong with last year's set of repaints? Thunderclash was painted up like himself, and everyone else looked pretty good. The Sweeps were a slightly different color from Scourge to differentiate them, but I thought that color worked well for them...

5. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last year had a lot of G2-ish/European characters also so it had the neons. The shattered glass repaints from 2008 were loud but not G2 loud. A big reason for this is that Hasbro tries to keep to "real" colors for its movie toys and floods the Universe/Classics series with reds, yellows, whites, etc so Botcon had to work outside the box.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think it's a scheme to destroy resale value so people will keep the sets as mementos of the event rather than trying to take advantage of people willing to take an inflated price on the set.

7. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. I mean, if any of this years Botcon exclusives were on the shelf next to all those endelss Dirt Bosses, you think they'd sell any quicker?

My instinct is that they'd be the definition of shelf warmers!

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'd probably pick those up over ROTF Wheelies and Chromias that I STILL see shelfwarming. If only because they use the Universe molds, which are great molds in their own right.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    He was being sarcastic.

Breakdown is specifically a homage to BotCon 1994's G2 Breakdown and (unofficially) BotCon 2004's G2 Action Master Breakdown (who was a redeco of Action Master Sideswipe). I presume the theme was then built around that, hence the obscure European market early 90s G1/G2 guys. This set is essentially "dudes who never got a toy again".

Which is the way BotCon should be - a convention for fans should do stuff only fans will recognise and appreciate, not common stuff like popular G1 characters that have yet to be released, like some people are suggesting.

10. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed, I have been going to Botcon since 2000 and have all the Botcon Exclusives. YES I had to buy the older ones at a higher cost. They are so worth it to me. Even the worst set ever 2005 is still in my collection. I do keep them mostly because they bring back memories but they are cool in their own right. I think overall they do a great job of bringing us toys we would not normally get.