Botcon-Question(s) about shopping

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by BrokenSVT, Mar 15, 2008.

1. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Hey all, I'm quite upset. Admittedly, it's all my fault, but I missed out on the fact that Botcon '08 is just an hour from home until a few weeks ago. I had already missed out on the packages, so I'm looking to take my kids on likely Sunday, maybe Saturday. I have a few questions regarding shopping on one of those fateful days:

*Will I have the opportunity to shop the dealer room with General Admission?
    *I read that there are souvenir bots, any likelihood that I'll have a chance to snag one, despite arriving late in the event?
    *Anyone with past experience with Botcon: TYPICALLY, are prices for dealers' figures[relatively] reasonable?

I think this could be a prime(pun intended) opportunity to snag a few figures that I desire, but haven't found at the right price/condition.

2. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes, general admission provides dealer room access.

It is possible to get some of the souvenir bots with a General Admission, however they don't open them until late Saturday (I think) so that all of the attendees have a chance to get them first. Be prepared to wait in lines.

Dealer room prices are generally above and below eBay. So if you're willing to shop around, you can find good deals. Especially look for the foreign dealers, as they can get stuff where it is cheap for them, and bring them here.

3. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Just to add to aksmith's already thorough reply:
    Although there were lots of souvenirs to go around in 2007, Botcon 2005 and 2006 were limited to around 400 and sold out well before Sunday. Even last year, I'm not sure if they made it past registered attendees.

I found a few good deals last year,. but it was kind of disappointing, a lot of vendors had mostly new stuff that was available at retail (movie figs and the like) at jacked up prices. You really have to look, and fortunately on Sundays, vendors are more willing to haggle. You're (aksmith) right on the foreign dealers bit, the Japanese guys last year had prices well below eBays.

Also, remember to bring cash, few dealers accept credit card, and from what I understand, ATMs empty out fairly quickly at the con, and surrounding hotels (just from what I've heard anyways).

4. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I'll concur with the last two gentlemen. If you want to brave the line and gamble on weather or not they'll even have any of the attendee add on toys, like this years Megatron... then be early Saturday so you can be at the front of that line when it opens. As far as deals, it's best to just come Sunday and be hanging around late before closing time and the vendors are all kinds of ready to deal if only to make the back haul easier.

5. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

I'm glad to hear that I'm able to shop around. My priorities at the show(since I missed out on registration) are to pick up a souvenir, then to pick up what my budget allows in 'bots I don't trust to buy on Ebay. Hopefully I'll achieve both objectives, in addition to giving my 5- and possibly 8-year old an education on the finer points of fun plastic :) 

6. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    *clears throat*

No i

:p 

And yes, cash cash cash. What I do every year is decide how much I can spend in the dealer room, and bring that much with me in cash. If I don't spend it all, I put it back into the checking account when I get home. Plus if you need a bit of haggle, you can stash your money in different pockets, and use the "I've only got X amount, see" trick.

7. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    I am going to make an atempt to get a 2nd set of souvaniers. Just for display purpous.

8. atomicthumbs

atomicthumbs Bots > Savings Acct

HAH!

I'm REALLY bad at haggleing. It's just not in me. Is it pretty common to haggle or is it considered rude or something?

9. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

For larger purchases where I bought many things from a seller, or something somewhat expensive, I asked for money off, and I usually got it. I usually asked for something reasonable, like $10 off $100, $25 off $200, etc.

10. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Pretty much what XJunky said. If it's a 5 dollar item, don't bother. If you're buying 200 dollars at a dealer, asking if they can move on the price, or throw something else in isn't rude. Though the prices seem to be a bit more flexible some Sunday afternoon.