Botcon Purchases question for non US residents

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by optimus_prime_rules_007, Jan 30, 2007.

1. optimus_prime_rules_007

optimus_prime_rules_007 Banned

Hi guys,

This seemed to be the place I thought best to ask this question, but it really only applies to those outside of the USA.

For those of you who have gone to a Botcon before and then had to cross the border back into Canada, how did you explain your purchases? I am assuming that everything bought at the dealers at Botcon is just done on a cash only basis.

Since you have to claim purchases at the border for Duty, how does that work? I know you are supposed to have receipts for whatever you buy and you are allowed so much depending on how long you are there.

If anyone could help I'd really like to know.

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I know that there is an exemption limit depending on how long you stay for. But honestly I just can't remember what it is. I'm going to have to call the Winnipeg Airport to see if I can find out.

And in terms of declaring, as far as I can remember. I did declare but I didn't declare everything. Just enough to not arouse any suspicion.

But if you just say the truth which is "I was at a toy convention thus I don't have any receipts" they just ask for your best approximate price total

3. optimus_prime_rules_007

Very good, thanks, if you can find out how it works can you post it here, I know that because I will be in the US from the 27th to the 2nd each person that goes with me is allowed to bring back 500 dollars before declaring. I just don't know how we get receipts.

I hear they are getting really anal at the Canada/US border now and you need to be sure you have everything.

4. Shaun_C

Link

Check out pg 17 and upward in this .pdf article I just found. It should answer your questions even better :) 

5. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    Does this apply to anyone from outside the US, or is this something US/Canada specific?

6. optimus_prime_rules_007

You should find out what duties and taxes you need to pay for your own country.

7. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    I have no idea what the hell the limits of anything are that I bring back with me from anywhere, I still always go in the "nothing to declare line" and so far I have never been questioned about anything. :p 

My ex however is always always ALWAYS stopped in customs, no matter where he is going or where he is coming from :lol  Gotta be those shifty eyes :p 

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    What's funny about Canada customs is you have to lie, its the only way of getting across the border without getting hassled. I also find is when going back is we try and be as simple as possible and just say "ya we were on a sightseeing trip" or something to that effect, never had that explanation being questioned. Its once you start spilling your guts to these people were they start to get suspicious. I think just giving simple, short, straightforward answers is the key to the whole thing.

9. Shaun_C

QFT

All I ever say is that I went to a toy convention. Nothing more and nothing less. And I've never been hassled over it

But I'm curious, why do you say you have to lie?

10. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Well I dont mention I've been to a toy convention or spent lots of cash or anything. Pretty much I just say I was just visiting our touring the aria and sightseeing and such. That and I just declare whatever the max is, I dont say oh I spent such and such.

11. Shaun_C

Hmm, that's a good idea.

If it works out, I just might try that :D 

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always say "I was at a scifi convention and spent $200" (or whatever the max is minus 50 bucks or something).

Never once have I been gouged for customs fees or checked out, coming back from a Botcon.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Or just mail the stuff back to yourself (registered of course) so that you don't have to lie about OR decare anything at all. That's what I plan on doing if I end up going this year.

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Heh, I actually did this with my brothers and I's Botcon exclusive set's at the 05 show as we flew into Dallas. The package took 2 weeks to arrive and got hit up with $20 in customs :( 

15. rid

rid Well-Known Member

You are actually supposed to declare what you purchased and not what you have on you. Most custom officers explicitely ask if you've mailed anything to yourself but even if they don't it is implicite. So if they catch you...:) 

I do like Vangelus, I declare max-20%. And make sure you have a few receipts that totals up to about that declared value, in case they ask to see it (happened to me once). If you say you spend nothing, they get suspicious coz very few people don't bring anything back. And maxing it means your have more but just declared the max. This has never failed me... knock on wood.