Botcon Pointers

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by MegaPrime33, Oct 27, 2006.

1. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

2007 will be my first Botcon, which I'm totally looking forward to, but I've suddenly realized that I don't really know what to expect. I've seen images of the dealer room before so I know how huge it can be. Can anybody give me any pointers on how to best handle the dealer room, where to find the best deals, etc? Also, what is there to see, what to do, what not to miss, etc. Thanks for the help guys!

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The best deals are usually had on Sunday cause the dealer's don't want to take the stuff back.

Don't jump on a deal unless you really know its a good deal. Case in point Most dealers at botcon had the E-Hobby Twincast for $95, however one dealer had it for $72 and marked it down to $65 on Sunday (the guy told me that BBTS came over and bought a case from him :lol  I don't blame them).

The best advice is do your research ahead of time and make a list. As you may have seen in DeeFuzz's thread, a lot of people made a list checked it twice, then completely forgot about it when they hit the dealer's room. Even though you may not use your list at least you'll have a rough idea on prices so you won't get gouged too badly (i.e. $120 for an Alt Nemesis Prime (I didn't buy that one)).

Oh and watch the scene from trading places where they go onto the floor of the stock exchange... The dealer's room isn't that bad, but it can get crowded.

3. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

A list definitely sounds like a good idea. What should I use as a gauge for what the current price is of the figures, ebay? Since it's my first time I'm going to try and see as much as I possible can. Always looking for more pointers!

4. Optimal-T

Optimal-T Metroplex's Sidekick

How much money do people usually bring to these conventions?

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MegaPrime - I used ebay, searching completed items for the pieces I wanted to look for and putting down the highest and lowest prices I found. Typically people at Botcon are asking a little bit more than ebay prices, but sometimes you can find stuff reasonably. For some items I put down the range for MISB pieces and for Loose pieces. This is all just speaking from my experience, it obviously depends greatly on the specific pieces you are looking for,

Optimal-T - It all depends on what you are looking for. Devise a gameplan and bring accordingly. SOME people take cards like BBTS, this year a few people were doing it through Paypal as well, but I wouldn't rely solely on credit. The club store also takes credit if you plan on making purchases there. You will also need money for the week to spend on food for your meals, and drinks if you plan on socializing. I think I brought around $500, and maybe close to half of that was spent on drinks and food, but I was there from Tues night through Mon morning.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not one dime more than you want to spend. I could have dropped $10K there in a few hours, especially on older exclusives or E-hobby stuff. But I can't exactly afford that. I brought a list and a set amount, got want I wanted, and spend the leftover on impulse buys.

And even though I've mentioned it like eight times, my wife won a bagged set of Botcon 2005 exclusives at the game night. No connection, just awesome.

7. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have never gone into a convention with a 'list'. In my mind, I'll know what I want if I see it. I think in the end it comes down to two things. 1) Casual or completist? 2) Budget.

If you're a casual buyer, like myself, you won't go in with a list but you'll know what you might want as you go about seeing it (for example: I almost bought a THS 02 Convoy but I never had one bit of interest before the con in it). If you're a completist, take a list of the stuff you need. You mostly know what stuff you need. It's too much of a hassle (in my mind) to write down $12 table 4 aisle 2. If you see what you want for a price you like then go for it, you might see it for less later but there's never a guarantee (case in point: Laser Magnus for 65, bought it Friday thinking that would probably be the best price I'd see it for, bought the dealer's last one and never saw it less than 70 the rest of the con).

Budget. Know how much you have to spend. I had about 200 tops and spent it all on Friday. Was I mad? Maybe a little bit but I was actually glad. It gave me all day Saturday to sit in panels and hang out on Sunday. If you're going for the deals then don't spend a dime until Sunday and hope for the best. I don't follow that idea but it works if you're willing (plus I wasn't going to get some deals).

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The range is VERY broad. Some people bring several thousand dollars. Some bring very little. I only brought about $150 for spending money this year, and that covered my food and drinks too. But, I only really had one or two things I was looking to buy in the dealer room. The average is probably somewhere in the range of $300-500 after travel and hotel expenses.

9. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm also someone who's never been to a Botcon. I've actually started working on a list for next year and monitoring prices and trends on ebay. I can see it being an expensive time for me as I'm going to be looking for a MISB Hardhead and some other items.

10. Dreweido

News Credits:
    yeah a great way to figure out prices is to keep checkin out ebay for older items and the online stores for newer stuff

11. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MOTOR MASTER , Does have some great advise,

Here is what I tell all 1st times. MAKE A LIST, of the items you want and do a price check about 1 to 3 months out. Best place for price is completed autcion off ebay. As a dealer from this past year I did not more off my price until mid day on saturday. Unless you bought a large ammount of items off me. Then I would tell you what the true total was and then Cause you were being a lot off me what I was willing to do for you.

As far as the dealer room goes. Take your time, That notes if you have to remember what dealer had what for what price. When I go to any show I walk the whole dealer floor before I buy anything. Unless it the deal of the show, or they only want a few dollars for an item. Once you walk the floor, look at your notes, Most dealer will give you a deal if you buy a few items off them and You have cash. Also if you tell a dealer that another dealer in the next row has the same item for 10 dollars less some will meet that price just to make the sale.

Some of the best deals were in attending rooms, Members had brought items that they wanted to sale or trade.

I spent just a little under $300.00 in the dealer room. That does not account for the con toys or the extras. Next year i'm planning on having $ 1,000.00 for the dealers room, and about $200.00 for food and drink. I was one of the guys that walk the 2 blocks and bought a bottle of Jack from the local ABC store. I just throw it in my backpack and no one ever said anything to me.

12. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been to 8 conventions and every time it's the same thing. Get in the dealer room as soon as you can. The best deals are gone withing minutes. I know people say to walk the whole room first but sometimes dealers put things out to get rid of them. The price will reflect this. I remember one year in particular, I was one of the first people into the dealer room and immediately saw a huge pile of accessories. I asked the dealer how much and he stated $2 each. I scored several head master accessories as well as European Action Masters parts. I also got a Fort Max Cog gun. I spent over $100 but came out with some great stuff. Within minutes of me digging into the huge pile several other people were doing the same. His pile was gone quickly. Another time I saw someone who got into the dealer room before me get a very rare giftset for a fraction of what it was worth. Trust me you need to get in find the best deals fast and act. For other items that are not so rare, yeah walk the room first to get the best deal.
    As always, the best deals can be found at the parts party before the dealer room opens. I always get most of my best deals there.

13. Optimal-T

So I should bring enough money to cover hotel expenses, food over the next few days, social activities, and the dealer room. I'm going to have to get a credit card too. Assuming that I'm working by then because I wouldn't want to have a credit card and no job so I can't pay it off. That's all I wanted to know.

14. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I talked to my wife about this and I'm commuting to this thing. Staying at my folks house and then I have that extra 100 bucks each night that I can put towards other stuff. Nice.

15. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I checked out a lot of prices on items on completed ebay listings and online shops before Botcon 06 and found that MOST of the vendors had TERRIBLE prices at the con. The only two that jump to mind that had fair or good prices were Decepticon-Matrix and Earth Toys (out of Ohio).

As for people trading room to room, I saw a lot of people happy with trades that they made, but all to much I saw people asking well more than ebay prices for items, especially incomplete figures or junkers.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From what I've seen at one Cybercon and several toy shows, I can tell you this- if you're after G1 parts, know what's what. Find a parts guide and learn what everything looks like. Hell, if you can bring a guide with you. I know there's some books out there that have full part listings with pictures. Also learn the prices for things, and don't be afraid to haggle. Most non-store dealers at least are flexible on prices. It also helps to walk a lap or two before you buy anything to see who has the best deal. At Cybercon I saw a table that had 2 chase WSTs for $25 each, and I wanted them. But I kept walking and found another table at the end of the row that had them for $20 each. I spent about $150 at Cybercon last time, but there was tons of ehobby stuff for great prices that I skipped on, so I could have spent triple that without a problem. It comes down to how much you can afford to spend and how much you want to spend.

17. Shogi

Shogi Well-Known Member

Another tip is if you're a loose collector and don't need your toys to be dead mint, check out people with broken bots. I got a Shockwave at botcon/Otfcc 2003 for $20 but his shoulder was broken (I had a spare in my room :)  ) other than that, he was mint. At the same con I also picked up an Omega Supreme for about $20-$30, I got two tanks and various parts from many different dealers in the end I was only missing the 4 small clips

18. Optimal-T

Well, I'm not going to go on a crazy spending spree. I just need a few parts for my Gen1 Silverbolt toy. His Superion head, his weapon, his fists, and his feet. Then if I have any money left I'll get the other bots that form his arms and legs.

19. Dreweido

News Credits:
    I've always wanted to do that... I've wanted to repair my powermaster prime so bad!