Botcon Megatron Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UTK007, Jan 20, 2008.

1. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So after buying him at the 2006 Botcon, I just opened my Darksyde Megatron and Waspinator last night. I don't know what took me so long since within the past 12 hours this Megatron has easliy become one of my favorite figures EVER.

But now I have a question about the figure. On the sides of his vehicle mode it is written "MGT 1." What does this stand for? Is this a reference to this being the first incarnation of this character? Or, I had heard a rumor at 2006 Botcon that one of the Beast Wars head story editors had stated that Beast Wars Megatron had the original name of MGT because he assumed all of the Predacons and Maximals had machine type names before the Beast Wars. Is "MGT 1" an obscure reference to such a statement?

In any case, I have now opened Darksyde Megatron and he is therefore not worth as much $ anymore. Damn you "Theft of the Golden Disk" video!!!! But, I guess if Beast Wars Megatron hated his techno-organic body it is good that I have an awesome non-techno-organic body for him in my Transformers Multiverse. I had been using Megabolt Megatron which in truth kind of pales in comparison.

2. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Well I don't know about the reference to what the story editor said, but MGT is likel;y an abbreviation for MeGaTron.

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it's a toy.

If you were buying it specifically to someday sell it, than bad move.

If you were buying it cause you love TF toys and thought it was cool than you did the right thing.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, I don't think "MGT 1" was ever addressed officially. I just figured like you did--it's short for Megatron.

I guess I figured the 1 was like a license plate or call sign, just their for identification more so than to suggest he was a first of sorts.

5. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

I still would not have opened it, however- it is a fairly rare piece, and one that is highly likely to be opened as a result of a lack of similar figures to replace it.

If one wants a G1 Starscream figure to play with, they can leave their MISB version intact and purchase a Classics Starscream. If one wants a protoform BW Megatron, they're out of luck.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    MG1 must be megatron 1.

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i still want one of those that i can buy and open and display....may sell my brave max trying to get one....

8. UTK007

UTK007 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, I decided a while back that I would probably never want to sell it. I just never got around to taking it out of its little baggy.

9. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How much was this figure originally back in 2006?

10. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was with Waspinator in a 2-pack, that was probably $80-90.