Botcon Guide for Noobs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by OptimusAndy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. OptimusAndy

OptimusAndy Wrecker

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but since it really is all about the toys:

Any of you Botcon vets out there have some pointers for a guy that has no idea what to expect at the con this year? I'd like to make my trip an enjoyable one and meet some cool people in the process.

Until all are one, brothers.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Don't expect to bring, talk about or even whisper anything about Third Party Companies.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  4. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got a couple:

1. When you enter the Dealers Room, try not to stare too Long.
    2. Most of the guys over 20 know ALOT about Transformers, don't be shy to start a conversation
    3. Try to Treat the guest stars like regular Joes.
    4. Bring as much spending money as you can.

5. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Have Fun.

I've never been but I've had similar experiences with another Con I go to yearly.

6. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I can only remember two things shower and deodorant.

7. OptimusAndy

OptimusAndy Wrecker

Supplemental-25 is no where to be found. Thanks though!

8. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Here's one:

Don't use your credit card or debit card under any circumstances. Use cash for EVERYTHING related to TFCC.

I'm not sure how much opportunity there is to use a card, but just don't do it.

9. OptimusAndy

OptimusAndy Wrecker

Well, I pride myself on good hygiene, I'm turning 30 this year, however the staring in the dealer room.. Not sure I will be able to help myself. I appreciate it guys.

10. OptimusAndy

OptimusAndy Wrecker

I actually found that out the hard way at Dairycon in 2011. I used it with a dealer up there and found fraudulent charges on it a couple weeks later. Great tip.

11. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i attended every Botcon up until 2008 and the hygene horror stories are VERY true

12. Spalah

Spalah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Example please of the such horror story :D 

13. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Be prepared to queue for a long time for registration and the souvneers.

14. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Cash talks, make offers, spare t-shirts, start random conversations with people (if they look at you weird and walk off, they've done you a favour, most decent people will chat).

15. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    The MP4 is dead, you have to grab the MP3 file. I still have it around here somewhere if you still can't get it.

16. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    another member had start a tread like this and got moved into botcon questions.

Originally

I have to heavy agree with Megamus about doing research on what your looking for that way you will have an idea on what you will be spending. Also if your looking for 3rd party items go hit the room to rooms sales. I hope this help you. If you have any more question feel free to hit up Megamus or myself.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  17. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) Using cash is good, but note: by Sunday many ATMs nearby may be drained out. Have yourself some backup cash early or be prepared to hike to find a machine that still has cash.

2) Hang around the show, the MSTing, the halls and panels and lines as long and much as you can. Talk to strangers. Talk to the guy next to you. Share cabs and shuttles. Go to dinner or drinks with fans you just met. The first two Botcons I did were when I was single and went with my brother about a decade ago. It was SO much fun and we made tons of new friends and really felt like part of the community. More recently I've gone with my wife and while we had fun and I love her, I had to spend a lot of time with her doing things outside the con area and after the show and you lose a lot of the fun of the experience if you aren't just in there the whole time hanging out and mingling.

3) Hot stuff goes fast. If you have a holy grail be careful not to pass it by cause it might not be there in 30 secs. Also remember to try to haggle and make deals.

4) But also save some money for the end of the last day. Many dealers go nuts with deals then so they don't have to ship things home.

-ZacWilliam, oh, and give some thought to how you're gonna get your booty home too.

18. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    one con (i forget which year) a buddy and i had to get out of a elevator full of fanboys because the stench was so overwhelming. went to some guys room at another con to make a private trade, and i was trying my best not to heave on the floor of his room. i feel real bad for housekeeping during and after these cons. some people just really need to learn how to bathe.

19. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Redd Foxx created an album back in 1978 called "You Gota Wash Your Ass". That's my main advice for all convention goers.

Redd Foxx - Wash Your Ass - YouTube

I remember one time I was talking to guy in the dealer room, and it took every ounce of willpower NOT to hurl. If I ever go to BC again, I'll make up a shirt with a picture of the record cover on it to give people a hint.

Bring cash. Most dealers don't take cards.
    Look around. Sometimes you can get awesome deals by looking around.
    Make a list of what you want. Otherwise you might get overwhelmed by what you see.
    Don't expect 3rd party stuff in the dealer room. FP is cracking down on it.
    Go to the parts parties. They're a lot of fun, and you can find good stuff for good prices. Megamus puts them on usually, along with G1fan.

Finally go and have a good time. Make friends. And if a sexy Icelandic gal offers you menthol vodka - drink it.

20. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In terms of cash, take as much as you want and budget yourself in terms of food vs. toys. For say, you decide to take $800. You can have $400 of that for food and $400 for toys.

Definitely talk to people that are near you at the hotel bar and/or restaurant and it can be loads of fun.