BotCon Exclusives vs. eBay

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Just wondering what these exclusive sets & bonus figures usually fetch on eBay? More specifically, what people anticipate this year's set & bonus figure(s) could end up going for? A roundabout guestimate is all I'm really looking for here.

I'm asking not because I want to sell mine when I get it, but because I'll probably be looking to buy a second "back-up" set, and dependent on character(s), any of the attendee bonus figures as well.

Ideally I'd just like someone to pick up a set of the loose exclusives, but since that seems relatively impossible due to not personally knowing anyone that's going, I've conceded that I'll have to go the eBay route later on. But since some people have told me that they've essentially financed their entire trips to past BotCon's by buying an extra exclusive set to re-sell on eBay for triple/quadruple the original price, I'm guessing these things can go for close to $800-$1000 USD sometimes... which is pretty crazy.

I don't know how hellbent I am to actually try this, but since I'm paranoid the set I ordered could end up having some of the QC issues that past Classics have had, I'm just trying to get prepared ahead of time and thought it might be worth asking some of the BotCon vets out there :) 

2. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

Only time will tell what they will go for. It's more a question of how much will collectors be willing to spend on these items. I personally think the seekers set sounds way overpriced already and am glad I do not collect Classics. Who knows how much more a collector would be willing to spend for that over the original price.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Last years full set with the freebie went for about $800 last year. I bought duplicates to sell and was able to attend the con and have a full set for myself ( I kept the freebie ) for $150. The Primus package plus extra loose set was $500, then $300 for two sets of the at convention pieces. I sold the loose set for $250 and the extra's for $400.

This would not have worked in 2005 because the demand for the set was too low. We'll have to see how demand for this set goes after the toys are shown.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I saw last year's set of all 10 figures (the 5 from the box set, the free Tigatron, and the Megs/Waspy and Laserbeak/Buzzsaw 2-packs) go for $1000 a few times, and almost never less than $900. Megatron and Waspinator alone regularly sold in the $300-400 range by themselves.

As Insane Galvatron alluded to, the 2005 set didn't generate quite that much demand, but a set of all of them still easily fetched $700-800 at first. The difference was that it didn't hold demand as long. People got less interested in things like Flamewar and the Virulent Clones a few weeks after the con, and prices cooled considerably.

With this year's set being based on Classics, I think it is safe to assume it will be as popular or moreso than last years. I imagine it will easily top out over $1000 for a full set, assuming the number of figures remains consistent with previous years.

5. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So does everyone who attends BotCon get the free attendee figure?

6. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm just gonna wait 'til the set is in the TFCC store and get it from there. While $250 is expensive, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than what it'll be on eBay. As for the Attendee/souvenir figures, if I really want those I can get those via eBay.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • ​
    BONUS FIGURE: Primus Package attendees will receive an extra surprise
    convention piece not available with the non-attending package. This extra piece
    will not be sold and is our gift to you for making the trip. (You must pick up

your convention package in person.*)

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Absolutely crazy for those prices.....exclusive or not.......

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If they're Primus package holders.

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Whoa.... last year's Megatron was really going for $300? Sheesh, that's kinda crazy. I already ordered the non-attendee five-figure set, and was planning to pick up the attendee-only figures via eBay as well; but at those rates, that might not be viable.

Although heck, I might totally cave once I find out who the extra figures actually are. :) 

11. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I sold a boxed, set, the free bot, and the 2 extra attending set for 950 on ebay last year. But The main raise why I had the price set that high as the fact that megatron sold out and I was not going to broke up the set

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You get the best price if you put them up -immediately- (like within the hour of getting them), from what I've seen.

It really grabs at the "GOTTA HAVE IT" + hype of Botcon news starting to trickle in, and results in a few hours of extreme money.

13. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

So how much did u pay for all the figures in total?

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I actually sold mine for $400. But yeah, your best bet is to find someone you trust who doesn't care about getting the toys themselves to pick one up for you at the show.

15. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

When I realized I couldnt go to Botcon, I took not getting the exclusives hard and my wife actually found a way for me to get the non-attending package (i wuv my wife lol) but I realized that for the money I was about to spend on a 7-25 dollar figure with a new paint job I could buy something truly rare, or something I really sought after... no the con exclusives will be a pass for me, if there was a nemesis figure (im a sucker for black and chrome and evil lol) I probably couldnt pass that up.

16. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

It also depends a lot on how many end up getting made. MC changed the numbers last year and sold out of most toys pretty quick.

I expect with the movie hype this year they will be increasing the quantity made of all the toys.

17. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

You know, I'm not heavy into the con scene. Now, I'm perfectly willing to go to cons in Chicago since it's just an hour drive for me, but I really don't like flying to places if I can avoid it. In previous years I just wanted some of the Botcon toys, so eBay was dandy. This year, sure I want them all, but go to the actual convention for the sole purpose of getting the toys without secondhand markup? Pass. If you figure the cost of the Primus package and the extra toys as a sunk cost, what it would have cost me for plane tickets and two nights in the hotel is almost certainly comparable to the markup that I will actually be paying. Yeah, I could do the Iacon package and just go ebay for the other ones, but then I'm not really interested in the automatic membership in the club that entails either. I'll think about it.

18. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

!!QUESTION!! I havn't been to Botcon since 2004, but there are a lot of dealers who give store credit for the exclusives. Bigbadtoystore was one of them. Does anybody know what they gave for the Botcon 2006 exclusives and how much they sold them for online at their store?

19. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Not sure, but it wasn't all that much of a premium. I think dealers were still a little gun shy because so many exclusive have been flat or even dropped in price the past 5 years or so.

A lot of dealers will post signs, and don't be afraid to ask other dealers if they'd be interested in trade even if they don't post a sign. I bet a lot of dealers will match (or be close to) BBTS's credit and beat his sales price. Not to knock Joel - I've been 100% satisfied with everything I've bought from him - But he's rarely the price leader, and at a show that's what matters.

20. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i've been thinking about getting another set to sell as well. even if it only sold for a hundred more then i pay for it, that'd still be 100 less that id actually spend on the ones that i keep....

but as vangelus said, most of the time its about how quick you get it online...and i dont know when non attendee's get their toys in...so that could backfire....