botcon exclusives questions.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kwickstrike, Jan 7, 2009.

1. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    this year is the first year i am going to botcon and i have a few questions.

1. how expensive are exclusives.
    2. how many exclusives are there per botcon
    3. are all exclusives just repaints or tiny mods?(never new molds?)
    4. how much money is a good amount to bring?
    and do they sell past toy lines at booths and stuff?

2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    1. Ridiculously Expensive.
    2. Not sure, a few thousand if I remember correctly.
    3. Just repaints and sometimes remolds.
    4. A. Bring more than 500 I'd say. B. Yes they have tons of booths on the sell floor and they all have various items ranging from newer TFs to Diaclone and G1 figs. There's even rare japanese TFs and non TF stuff for sale.

3. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    1. Depends
    2. Depends
    3. Depends
    4. Depends
    5. Depends

Ooooh, I'm snarky tonight!

Fo' serious, the box set of exclusives is usually around $300, and the convention add-ons vary depending on the figures included, but another $2-300 should have you covered easily. Number of exclusives vary, there are usually around 10-12ish, but last year had 14 including the 4 minicons. The figures are usually repaints with a few new moldings. We've been promised three new head sculpts this year, last year had new heads for Megatron, Goldbug, Jazz and Ricochet, and a couple of years ago we got the all-new wings on Thrust and the new heads on Dreadwind and Alpha Trion. On top of the exclusives, bring whatever you feel comfortable spending over the weekend and plan for meals and such. Prices can vary over the weekend. There are some GREAT deals to be had on Sunday, usually, but you run the risk of that figure you wanted not being there by then.

As for past toy lines, you can usually find stuff from just about any series you could possibly want at the dealer booths, the club store mainly carries current lines and sometimes leftover shirts/figures/exclusives from previous years if any remain.

4. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

but never backstreet...10 years and no f-ing backstreet ;-)

*runs away screaming

5. fishformers

fishformers porcaline toilet

News Credits:
    are you going to botcon i am luckly i live in california

6. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

1. Wallet rape.
    2. The boxed set, bagged figures, and a few others.
    3. Depends
    4. Your entire life savings. It's also a good idea to take out a hefty loan or second mortgage before coming as well. And yes, they sell all manner of Transformers in the dealer room, and prices can range from $1 for a beat-to-shit Windcharger to a couple thousand, depending on how minty fresh you like your toys. The last time I went, I actually limited myself to $20 or less per toy that I would spend, stuck to that guideline and STILL spent well over $200 in one day. I mean for fuck's sake, you're standing around for a full work day in a giant room FILLED with Transformers that you can buy, and not only that but you can likely find just about every one that you're looking for. If you think you're getting out of there cheap, you're out of your mind. This is the reason that my wife and I skipped the Cincy one, as money was just a little too tight, and I had to explain to her that the $10 one-day admission would just have been the very tip of the iceberg.

Remember too that you'll likely be asked to pay autograph fees for the celebrity (around $15-$20) so tuck in a little extra.

Also please don't forget to bring $5 so you can buy a stick of deodorant for the guy in front of you and behind you in line.

7. tomdom69

tomdom69 Well-Known Member

if this is the first year you are going be prepaired to try to fax in your preregistration constantly for about 6 hours. If you want to do the customizing class of anything like that.

bring as much money as you can afford.

Make sure that you make a list of everything you want, with how much you are willing to spend on them.

buy the rarer things first.

keep your gas money seperate.

keep your food money seperate... you can dip into that.

bring a friend, books and or video games for while you are in line.

YOU WILL BE IN LINE ALOT.

8. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Box set is usually a little under $300. There's two attendee sets, although I'm blanking on the price. Isn't the "smaller" one around $60, the larger one around $100? Together they should both be under $200.
    2. Usually about 10 toys. The box set will have 5 or 6, the attendee sets will have 2 each (last years had 2 each and 1 minicon).
    3. Correct. We've gotten new heads and wings for remolds. Never a new mold.
    4. Bring a credit/debit card for all food purchases, bring cash for 99% of the dealers. There are tons of old toys, from all lines. Typically only about 2 dealers take credit cards (the club store and BBTS do, I know). So, bring however much cash you can afford to spend (and guard it safely). The past couple of years the dealer room has been overpriced generally speaking, I thought, but there is always at least a few good deals to be found if you hunt around and dig, or are just lucky in your timing. Noone can tell you how much cash to bring - only you know what kind of toys you're looking to buy.

9. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Luckey for me if I go I am not hunting for much..Im counitng like 3 items.

MIB Onslaught
    MIB Hun Gurr
    MIB Reflector

Then I am done. But as everyone says. Bring money .

10. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I went in 2007, I figured out that the cost of a figure is 3x what the size class would cost in Walmart. The Wierdwolf/Alpha Trion was $90. A Deluxe & a voyager. The bagged sets were $180 (1 Voyager & 4 Deluxes)

Tip: Buy a box set and a set of loose figures. Sell the Box set. It will pay for itself and the loose set. So in the end, you will get the loose figures for free.