Botcon Custom class, Wednesday and Thursday.

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by gen1fan, Jan 6, 2012.

1. n10zguy

n10zguy Well-Known Member

Essentially the guy walked in (I remeber cause he was right next to me). They passed out the kits and next thing I know. He was gone. I never even saw him leave. lol

2. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Botcon S_T_A_F_F

News Credits:
    can they stop u from leaving and if u have no idea what u r doing will they help this is my first class

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's interesting. I never heard that story.

I don't think they can stop you from leaving really, but both FunPub and Hasbro really frown on it, especially Hasbro. I personally think if you're taking the class you should build your figure, but oh well.

And everyone in the class, instructors and classmates, are extremely helpful. Last year was my first time and if you don't have a proper tool for getting in pins or something to that nature people will help you out. I know I can't airbrush for shit and I just had one of the instructors do a small portion of the figure so I could finish painting the rest of my figure.

4. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    I have no earthly idea what I'm doing I plan on watching the more experienced guys and learn the ins and outs, do's and don't's take my kit home and take it at my own pace after some practice ... If they frown they frown but they where smiling when they took my money

5. n10zguy

Well if you sit around in the class and don't work on your figure they may ask you to leave. You can learn the ins and outs dos and donts online. Don't take the spot away from someone who could enjoy the class experience.

6. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Not really there's a big difference between seeing pictures and text as opposed to see someone actually do it but if they ask me to go nothing I can do about that.

7. n10zguy

oh dude! you really need to checkout YouTube. the best stuff ever is on there. Check out the radicons section on the boards. Some of the customizers there post how-to vids on there. seriously though as a newbie, you really should put your figure together in the class with everyone. it's truly the best way to learn and get the full effect of the experience. Then at the end you have this great souvenir of your time at the convention that you made yourself.

8. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have heard so many good things about the class, I can't wait to get there in April :D  I'm sure it's gonna feel like it did in my art and painting classes back in college. I'll probably bring some of my own tools since I am used to them, but I need to pick up some small things still.

9. blaster master

blaster master Awesome

Ebay:
    I'm in the Wednesday class.

10. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Well in the past the paint Shawn uses is sometimes no longer produced. So if you want to make as close to an exact copy you will need to use his paint. I know it sounds weird but I have talked to him and yeah they retire paint???

11. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How does the lunch part work? Do we all leave and come back or should we bring a lunch?

12. n10zguy

Well I have learned about the "retiring" of paint. Essentially the company just makes a slight variation on the original color (like making it a hint darker/lighter -- usually ones that do not sell often) and stick a new color name on it and "retiring" the original.

13. n10zguy

You can do either. Myself, I bring a lunch cause I am kinda slow with putting my figures together and am meticulous with my painting so I use the extra time to make sure I get it done as quickly as possible. Usually I am just eating power and protein bars anyway.

14. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    People eat lunch at botcon? I live off of energy drinks, fruit punch and beer for the week :D 

15. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    shy?!! not you! You wouldn't stop talking!! Oh man, just think if the class has a Decepticon!

16. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The class will be awesome for you first timers. The instructors are really helpful. I had a good time last year.

17. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    Did funpub say anything about bringing tools? I don't really wanna fly with a buncha tools or buy them just for one use.

18. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wednesday class for me.

Does anyone feel... well not bad I guess, but weird buying an extra class for either A) A friend/significant other who's not really into it and is just there for you or B) Just to have an extra?

I'm not in anyway coming down on anyone who does it - if you pay for it its your right to it. I just think that I would feel a little weird about taking up a slot that could go to another person who cares more or has never had the opportunity to take the class. Thoughts?

19. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You don't need to bring anything. The benefit to bringing your own tools is so you don't have to wait for someone to finish using the ones they provide or to have extra paint brushes. You probly aint gonna get an exacto knife on the plane anyway :eek: 

Hey encline, you were awesome last year! Are you going to help out again this year?

20. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    Haha yea that's what I was thinking, do the figures usually require much paint?