Heavy/Scratch: BotCon contest entry: Paperformer Drift

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hi Q, May 16, 2009.

1. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

this reminds me that i need to get back on making my papercraft g1 soundwave.

2. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    Funny thing is, the last thing I made before this Drift, is in fact the Bumblebee you're talking about.

As far as styrene is concerned, I have absolutely no idea what that is, I've never heard of it before people started mentioning it in replies here and elsewhere where I've shown Drift.
    My guess is that it's not as thin as the 90 grams printing paper I used, and well, that would be a problem. Even in this version there are already too many layers wrapped around eachother too tightly; there are in fact many hidden flaws. I need tools to shoe-horn parts in place during transformation. The upside is simply that he looks damn good. :) 

3. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

Amen, Hi Q!
    Newfangled technology- like autocad? Cant be bothered with it.
    But pencils and paper, now thats where the magic begins.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i had to do a double take as well, awesome work! styrene is plastic you can get at hobby shops in sheets, i don't think it is that thin though .5 mm was the size i got it in

5. Hi Q

News Credits:
    In that case major redesigns would be required to make it work in styrene, and I'm not used to keeping the thickness of the material in mind much while desiging.

6. Hi Q

News Credits:
    I did this when I was maybe 12 or so (didn't care about coloring back then):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Pepsiman98

:jawdropper:  you did this when you were 12?! 1 question, how did you get the cassette door to open? cant seem to figure that out.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Damm that's impressive!

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome.

10. Pepsiman98

wait, is that a small bump i see on soundwave? did you use a toothpick or something for the cassette door?

11. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Holy punched-out paper projects Batman, this is amazing!!!!! I can't even begin to fathom how you could have been able to plan this out on paper. WOW!!!:drool: :bowdown: :jawdropper: 

I think Has/Tak could use the shapes you created by folding the paper to easily make ta prototype for a solid plastic toy.

12. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    How....wha....how is something like this possible? How do you make paper look like that? How do you make fists with multiple angles within the fist with paper?

Sorry, my mind is just boggled right now....

13. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

Thats awesome. Man they should make that into a toy.

14. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    OMG that is just awesome!:bay 

15. mr_soundwave

mr_soundwave operation: tidalwave

Amazing...simply amazing...Seeing this is the reason I really hope that the drift toy does come out, it is rocking design and it would be fun to have a new mold...plus there is the possiblity for creating othetr characters from that mold...now you has raised my spirits and the bar if the figure ever does hit....hope you move on from paper and make this as a kit for others to enjoy, i'd buy one :) 

16. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

Your work is always so inspiring. The attention to detail is amazing.

17. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I would love to turn it into Illustrator version for you if you send me the scans

18. Hi Q

News Credits:
    Any bumps you see are basicly damage. My designs back then weren't the sturdiest, and they couldn't take much presure.
    The cassette door is just a box glued onto a flap in a hole in a larger box, that will fold. (Hard to explain it in words.)
    Back then I didn't make hinges. All the moving parts are basicly paper folding. I don't do that anymore, it feels like using the material to cheat.

Apparently your mind is too boggled to fully make me understand your question about the fists. ;) 

As I already said earlier, I think styrene is too thick to work with the parts for this particular figure. (Did I mention there are 206 parts?)
    Aside from that, well, papercraft is what I do, what I always did. I don't really have an interest in other types of kitbuilding, or any incentive to move on.

Maybe later... but probably not. If I get one person the files I should make them available to all, and I don't really want to release this one. Mostly for selfish reasons, mind you. I'm not planning on insructions, those are hell to make, and I don't want to become a papercraft helpdesk.

19. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You have an amazing gift there, Hi Q! I truly admire your work on this. You've taken something 2-D and literally breathed 3-D life into it. That takes a LOT of skill, hard work, and determination. I think you should post up the blueprints, more shots of both the bot and alt modes, and even a tutorial (but do it after Botcon, if you're interested). I'd love to be able to build something like this for the sheer fun......and yes, I'd even try to attempt a version from styrene and Transformers parts. When everyone mentions doing it in styrene, trust me when I say it's because they love this work of art and want to capture it in a more permanent way (plastic as opposed to paperwork). I know that some sheet styrene might be too thick to do some of this, but trust me again when I say it can be done (maybe not exactly the same), but it's something that can be built with some trial and error here and there. I'd just love to be able to build it in my own medium, just as you have yours. The sad thing is, you're a definite pro when it comes to the calculations and sizes of parts--I'm just saying your ideas/blueprints would help those of us who love your work and want to try something similar.

Please think about posting this as either a tutorial or simply posting the blueprints for the fans here to take a stab at it. You do beautiful work, man--and there's nothing more satisfying than to see someone else build something or attempt to build something that you've basically created or done first. Keep up the great work and good luck at Botcon--this should definitely place in the top 3, if not #1.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Beautiful work bro; it's been a pleasure to see how you've developed this since you started working on it. I'll never understand how you do it.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Drift in person at Botcon!