Botcon Comic Preview on April Third

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Icespark, Mar 31, 2008.

1. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I was thinking they probably had him in red just as a reference to that Red Geist toy, which was a red recolor of G1 Deathsaurus.

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, this thread was posted at 11:00 PM GMT. :lol  Nice joke, but I hope this preview is printed in the comic anyway!

3. Pete Sync

Pete Sync Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, all depends on what time zone you post from :p 

and Nevermore, ease up, I don't think people will be dissappointed seeing Don again lol...

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I'm more complaining about what I believe to be the first Fun Publications announcement that is met with an overwhelmingly positive feedback turning out to be a fake. Even if the real comic WAS good, it'd still have to live up to this. And that's why I think this joke could ultimately backfire, in a "joke was better than the real thing" sense.

I don't have anything against Don, he's just not one of my favorite TF artists. I'd be all over an official comic drawn in the style of those three pages.

5. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

Quoted for truth - there's fail plastered all over the truth of these pages. :(  Even Don returning doesn't make me feel better about it at all. I wanted intelligent genius Grimlock, jibba-jabba Jazz, and all the rest.

The only part I really did find amusing is that Pete made this one work out perfectly with the way a lot of actual news from their site has leaked early.

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i was just gonna say that (both parts)

i for one am so bloody excited to see DON doing the con comic...cant wait to order my diamond edition...

7. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta agree there - so far none of the Collector's Club comics were enjoyable. The whole storyline of Mr. Transparent Energon Combiner Limb and his buddies travelling through timelines kind of left me cold.

That said, a mirror universe holds good possibilities... It can be done right, like the Justice League episode "A Better World" - or it can be dull and boring, like Spotlight: Mirage. We'll see...

8. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

While Don is a great artist and some of his BW work is the best stuff I have seen, we have been inundated with a single style of TF art for years now in the comic industry to a point it is becoming boring and mundane even when the quality is excellent.

I think some of the Spotlights in different styles are some of the best pieces of art out there.

I gotta say that I am unsure I will be able to enjoy the REAl story now that we have seen it would be possible to have G2-style art and design and it still holds up 10+ years later. Instead of standing out with a unique style I hope it doesn't fade into the background.

9. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Wow, the astute ability to decide that this is the "BEST comic" based on three preview pages, lol...

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Same here. G2 fo evah!

11. Trentulas

Trentulas Has all kinds of dangerous needs.

News Credits:
    Dang, they revealed the gag this early? I was hoping it would ride out at least until late afternoon.

It was another Troop-Sepelak 1-2 punch (I was really stifling giggles at all of the 'It was drawn by Walky!' comments). We wrote it based on an outline and notes by Pete. Greg drew and inked it and I colored it (using sampled colors from the g2 comics). What really shocked me is that no one mentioned the flat, old-school coloring as a negative. I thought for sure that would have been a point of contention.

Happy April Fool's, folks.

-Trent

12. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I am STILL tempted to buy a set of Pretender Classics and make them into this comic's versions. And I would give Jazz's shell a Mr. T deco! :lol 

13. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on how the methods are used. Flat colors can look garish if the wrong colors are used. Computer coloring can look very blurred if there's not enough contrast (it's sometimes a problem I had with some of Dreamwave's stuff).

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    awesome man, love the color work and the inclusion of all the other con exclusives recolored as heroes...

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    :lol 

Now that's funny... though I can see this backfiring on them... seems like they expected people to absolutely hate this and it was loved by much of the fandom. Now, no matter how good the actual comic is, it's going to have to live up to this 'joke'.

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow. A fun, funny and interesting comic preveiw by FP is a joke. ha ha Well, here's to hope the actual comic is half as good. Silly me, I always thought an April Fools joke was meant to be funny. Well, I hope FP is laughing anyway. Darn, a really intelligent Grimlock went all the back to Grimlock's episode in Season 3. Evil Jazz doing a Mr. T impression is classic too. Also a Classics Thundercracker in Action Master colors would be just too cool. Oh well.

17. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do agree it was a joke well-done, but like others I could easily see this backfiring in terms of my liking the real Botcon comic. I mean, those three pages were just brilliant.

Now, if the REAL comic is the exact same plot and dialogue but with DON drawing it, THEN I'll be pleasantly surprised...

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    There's a typo on page 2, even though it's fake, doesn't mean it can't be nitpicked.

"A Predacon? So...the srhink ray didn't finish them off..."

19. Seaspray

Seaspray TFW2005 Supporter

Awww...it's a stinking April Fool's joke...this makes me a sad panda. I, Seaspray loved it!

20. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QFT.

Ah, well. This gives me some hope for more goodness:
    Meanwhile, I do like Don's art, so all isn't lost.

Sorry to jilt you, FP, but I think we should just remain good friends for now.