Botcon as a Transformer/G.I. Joe Crossover Convention?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Screamers, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Screamers

Screamers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (I don't know if this has ever been brought up before, but I'd love to know others think about this.)

[​IMG]

Botcon as a Transformer/G.I. Joe Crossover Convention?

For those that have been to Botcon in recent years, every year fans are giving a Botcon survey. It's a way to not only rate the convention, but to also give your own ideas on what you'd like to see at the convention. So in getting to my point, I noticed these year as in the past few years, the survey asks.. "What would you think of combining both the Transformer and G.I. Joe conventions together?"

Being a fan of both I of course wrote I like the idea. I really don't think it'd be a bad idea what with all the G.I. Joe and Transformer crossovers there's been in the past. That and most the G1 voice actors that worked on Transformers, also worked on the G.I. Joe cartoons. Hasbro would be easy since they design and make both toy lines, not to mention the comics have had many cross overs on both. Personally I think it'd make the convention even better.

Just picture an exclusive set toy set that combines Transformers with G.I. Joe, I'd love to see a Ratchet that transforms into a Hiss tank and a Starscream the transforms into a Night Raven.

Long as they stayed true to both toy lines, which I know Brian Savage would :)  I think it'd be a great convention. But I'd really like to know what others fans think of this.

Do you think this would cool idea?

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I sure hope not, I might go to one if it ever happens but I wouldn't enjoy it as much.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I've not yet been to a Botcon. Combining it with a Joe convention would pretty much kill my interest in doing so. I don't really see the point. Ok, so there's been a couple of comic book crossovers that apparently some people enjoyed. By that logic, why not combine it with a Marvel comics convention? A Star Wars convention? Or an 1800s model train convention? People liked Hearts Of Steel.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It would be a much bigger, much more expensive event, that's for sure.

And I'd love to see crossover toys but I think they'd be too expensive to do for a smaller limited run. Best case, if a mainstream TF/Joe crossover line was made and we'd get con repaints.

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    now now if you add model trains to a transformer convention, i would be in hog heaven :lol  anyways, i just want botcon to come back to texas, and it will next year if the pattern repeats itself cause i want to go

6. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Except that Transformers didn't directly evolve out of any of those lines. It did directly evolve from GI Joe. So without GI Joe there would have been no Transformers so the two properties are far more linked and have a much more shared history than either Marvel or Star Wars. As such it certainly makes sense that the two cons could be combined. Personally though I like the two being separate, although if they had one for both, I would be interested in going.

7. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Transformers didn't evolve out of GI Joe. Hasbro applied a marketing technique that had worked for one toyline to another one. As I said, by that logic we can include Star Wars. Hasbro added transforming to SW toys, so that makes them an evolution of TFs. Same for Marvel, etc etc.

Like I said, I don't understand this. I like tomato ketchup and I like chocolate. I don't pour ketchup on chocolate, though. Some things are better seperate.

Although toast, strawberry jam and tomato ketchup is surprisingly good.

8. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

1967: Hasbro license GI Joe to Takara who releases it as was in Japan. The line does so well that in
    1974: Takara shrinks GI Joe down a bit and makes him a cyborg. This is the line that would later become known in the US as Micronauts.
    1978-1983: Takara shrinks Joe down even further and gives him transforming vehicles and weapons. This line is called Diaclone.
    1984: Hasbro purchases the molds to the Diaclone vehicles and releases them in the US as the Autobots and Decepticons that we all know and love.

So yes, Transformers DID directly evolve out of GI Joe. They did not evolve from either Star Wars or Marvel.

Your point about Ketchup is still valid though and a good one. And for the record, I agree.

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    FP talked about why it wouldn't happen back at the 2005 convention. They said that in a nutshell it's too big of a cluster to put up with. The Transformers and 3 3/4 Joe fans like the idea, but the 12" Joe fans thought it was horrible just to even think about. I don't know how the map has changed since then, though.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Other then the shared origins and a few crossovers, TFs and G.I. Joe have very little in common with each other. Both conventions are big enough on their own, but if you forced them to mix together you might push away more people then you pull in.

But that's why they ask the question in the survey, to have solid numbers to back-up whichever decision they make. And so far that decision has been to keep them separate.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think they should be kept separate. This year was my first Botcon and it was damn expensive. I'd be afraid that the convention would cost more with the two lines combining into one convention.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I could definitely see it damaging both conventions, if they were mixed.

Given that the FP guys are self-admitted Joe fans first, I would approach such a two part convention with no small measure of caution.

Which isn't to say it couldn't work, though. They're the same company, have a history of crossover, and a lot of overlap in the fans, demograpically and literally.

So, who knows? It might end up cheaper or easier for them to run it that way, even if the two conventions were held at the same time and place, but were for all intents and purposes separate.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Communal dealer room, saturday night dinner, tours et cetera would work, but seperate panels, contests, and different box sets for big joes, little joes and TFs, with crossover add-on toys is what I'd do if I was putting one together. You want to appease the peanut butter faction and the chocolate faction before tossing in Reese's Pieces.

14. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    i would say keep them seperate UNLESS...FP came forward to fans and said that economically they could no longer afford to run 2 seperate conventions and had to combine them together or one line of fandom (transformers or GI JOE) would lose their convention...then i would say combine away!

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    joes hold no interest for me, so if they did that, the convention would hold no interest as well

16. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    We let's be correct, to be more specific Brian stated that the 3 3/4 fans were ok with it. He then stated that the 12" joe fans did not want to be associated with I think he used the term baby toys. Brian did not want Transformers to interfer with his Joes. Everyone knows that Brian likes joes and only puts up with Transformers because it's a business. Now things might have changed but the apple does not fall far from the tree. FP has done a great job but that is because I believe they now see that Botcon is way more popular than the JoeCon. The numbers for Botcon continue to grow where as the JoeCon is not as lucky. Once again, this is based upon a conversation I had with Brian at the 2005 convention. I asked him why the convention could not be held when kids were out of school in the summer. His only response was that he would take his kids out of school for it. Not trying to bring up the past but let's say he and I did not agree. Since then as you all know Botcon has been moved several times and for various reasons. I do believe FP has the best interest in mind for Botcon and I can only hope they do not merge the two. I would bet the only reason would be when the JoeCon does not make enough money to warrant it's own convention. Harsh I know but FP is a business and is out to make money. I hope anyone who reads this understands why I am writing this and takes it in the right frame of mind.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I know what you're saying, dude. The Joe con might see a resurgence after the movie, you never know.

18. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I really hope it does!! The more money these conventions make the better chance they survive. I always think back to the Star Trek convention days. While I never went to one, they were popular in their time. The only reason they stopped the conventions was that people lost interest so no one went. Therefore, they made no money. It all comes down to making money. You want the cost to go down, you want quality figures without the price going up? Keep going, keep buying the figures and spread the word. I love the figures and love the convention so I will continue to go. I may not like it being in the dead of winter or being so far away that I am on a plane for a day but I will make it.

19. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

lol, wow

20. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be satisfied going to either convention, so combining the two would make for an event I'm interested in attending.

That being said, I can see them cutting back on activities or programs for the combined show, to keep costs and ticket prices down.