BotCon advance movie screening

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I was thinking about this while doing some housework.

Considering that

1. This is the major event for the fandom
    2. It's a SERIOUS hot button topic around the fandom these days

Would anyone here be really surprised if someone tried to record the movie in order to leak it to Bit Torrent/Limewire early? Or if a nay sayer/detractor attended simply to be a disruption and to yell out the typical cliche remarks?

I for one can totally imagine someone trying to record it, although whether he/she succeeds is another story. But in terms of a detractor attending just to be a disruption, on that I'm conflicted. I mean I can see that happening but don't see it happening at the same time.

What do you guys think?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think I don't understand what you're saying.

Seriously, though, of course it's possible that someone will try. But it'll be a shitty copy at best, since I have no doubt there'll be plenty of "ushers" watching for tripods, which you'd need for a halfway decent copy.

Besides, what difference would it really make? It's getting released early in South Korea, innit? And even if not there, it'll be on the internet somehow in the weeks prior to the general release. I seriously doubt that a shitty bootleg will make a big difference a week before general US release--hell, the internet posts after the film will have more of an effect.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think that anybody who causes a disruption should and will get the shit stomped out of them.

I think that anybody who tapes it should send me a copy.

4. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

What I'd REALLY be afraid of is this

Last year at the Hasbro panel just before we were shown that movie filming footage. It was stated that if anyone was caught trying to record what was being shown that the presentation would be finished.

I'd hate for someone trying a similar stunt thus forcing Hasbro and FP's hand to cease and desist the advanced screening and refund us all our $25 back :redface2: 

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You worry too much.

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Er..couldn't they just kick the guy with the camera out?

7. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

First thing a friend told me when I said I was seeing the movie early was that I should record it for him :lol 

And as for people there just to ruin it for others, if someone is willing to pay 25 dollars just to ruin a movie for other people, then they are very, very sad individuals.

8. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I honestly, honestly think it won't be an issue. Yelling out during the movie though... yeah...

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That shit drives me crazy, but I've just accepted that a preview will be more a party than a screening. So I'm just gonna get drunk beforehand and make my wife babysit me.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know we just had this thread yesterday, but now I can't find it.

Someone was talking about the electronic countermeasures that can be utilized to spot the bootleggers.

EDIT: Scratch that, it was on the Club forums.

11. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    they should frisk people going in to see the pre screening. i dont want the big screen shock of giant transforming robots to be ruined for me. even if someone did leak it, i'd stay away from it. until, of course, i saw it in theaters a couple times. then id DL it and it would go straight onto my iPod.

12. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Boot legging you say?

1. You know someone will get a camera/recording device into the theater to record the movie

2. Going to see the Transformers movie will be like highschool (frisk and everything)

3. My friend plans to take her Ipod thing to record the sound at least then pimp that over to my Puter.

4. It's okay to record so long as no profit is being made off it...Unless of course you are into bootlegging.

5. Why not really?

6. Anyone stupid enough to go into a theater filled with Transfans and is willing to yell at the movie will hereby have his corrupted genes yoinked from the gene-pull

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. I hope not. I'd like to see the fandom, as a whole, exhibit some class during what is a very, very special event.

2. Not a bad idea.

3. That would be a bad idea. While I'd hate to see someone have their iPod confiscated, can't say I would feel too sorry if it happened after we will be (undoubtedly) warned many, many times not to bring devices in.

4. Not true. If you read the security information on DVDs, they all say something to the effect of "any duplication, even that not resulting in monetary gain, is punishable by law".

5. See #1.

6. That would be fine. I'd like to believe that the "haters" won't be willing to pay $25 to get in, though.

14. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the only thing I'll be yelling is, "YEAH MEGATRON! KICK SOME ASS!"

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Really? You're the moral arbiter of intellectual property theft? When you steal IP, and that's what it is, you may not make a profit off of it yourself. But when you distribute it by placing it on the internet, it's almost certain that someone will choose not to see/rent/purchase the film because they were able to do so for free, and that costs the studio, etc. money.

Look, bootleg all you want. It's not my problem. But don't pretend that you're not doing something wrong. Take ownership of your actions.

16. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great post.

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know there will be some nerd at this movie with a camera hidden under his ball-cap recording. He'll also be wearing a neck-brace for stability while filming.

18. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

*fixed*

19. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say the film is far more likely to leak out of South Korea, which gets the film before the Botcon screening anyway. It's pretty likely they'll already by a Telesync leak or similar before Botcon.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone will be stupid enough to try and disrupt the screening by shouting out inane drivel. If they do, I highly doubt the rest of Botcon will be a very pleasant experience for them.
    In fact, I'll make sure of it.