Botcon 2013 in San Diego

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Matty, Dec 7, 2012.

1. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good luck with the interview and job application!

I would love to see more Transformers conventions, but I do think it would be tough. Part of what makes Botcon cool is the exclusive toys that are offered. Offering them at 3 different conventions would take away from their novelty and from their value. Then you have Hasbro, I don't know that they would want to do multiple official conventions, send their people to the shows, display the toys, and display bigger stuff like movie vehicles, etc. The cost may add up to more than what we might think. I recall that Funpub said that Botcon does very well when it is in CA. I'm taking that to mean that attendance is high, and the convention makes money. We do need to remember that there is a business side to this, and in order for the convention to be successful so that we can have future conventions, it needs to do reasonably well financially.

With that said, I think there is a lot of demand for Transformers conventions, which is why we see a lot of unofficial conventions popping up all around the country, and in other countries. I would personally LOVE to go to multiple Transformers conventions every year. That would just be awesome. But I'm super happy that I'm getting to go to Botcon this year.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Well guest wise they better go all out like they did in 2011 when they had a bunch of G1 voice actors, the Prime cast and some others there.

3. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thanks dude, and yeah, I see what you're saying, but this hobby isn't "a room full of nerds" (I mean that in the best of ways :lol ) anymore. It's gradually growing and expanding as more collectors are starting to enter the hobby. I agree that the point of a business is to make money, and a good way to do that is to start expanding. That's why there isn't just one single ComiCon a year. Now obviously Botcon is no where near that scale, but it's definitely growing. What other way is there for a business to make money other than to grow. They should at least try it out for a year, see how it works.

As for the toys and their collectibility, well I agree they are great novelty pieces, and definitely something to hold onto for great memories, but there will always be KOs, which I'm totally fine with, to play the wild card. Enough demand for a certain exclusively painted figure and next thing you know CHMS is shelling one of almost identical aesthetic out of their factory :lol . Sure quality is a trade-off, but that's nothing that can't be fixed most of the time.

Regardless the situation, I'm still going to grab an Iacon set, and then have a buddy pick up the souvenir sets for me, and depending on how cool the attendee "freebie" is, I'll hunt for that too.
    But anyways dude, have fun at the convention, it's a blast!

4. bumblebeeprime2

bumblebeeprime2 Banned

News Credits:
    Man i will have to do SDCC next year then they are so close! after all this is my first official BOtCON convintion! i have never gone to the pannels before ever or any convention for that matter! so this will be a exciting year!!!!!

5. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard ANYTHING about pricing yet? I would like to get this paid for asap.

6. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

I am guessing from the lak of response that no one really knows.

7. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'd budget for last year's prices and maybe a little more. Go ahead and put back about $400 if you're getting the Primus package, and maybe another $250-$300 if you're trying to get a bagged version of the box set. I'd assume $600-$700 if you were thinking of going Golden Ticket (if they do that this year). And finally if you plan on buying all 3 souvenir sets, put back $110-$120 for each of those. Then, if you want bring cash for the dealer room and 3rd Party after sales. And of course, hotel cost (which there should be a link to the Botcon website for that).

I went last year, drove because it was only 4 hours away, and between gas, food for me and a friend (for all 5 days, we also eat like giants), hotel (wasn't the Hyatt) 2x each souvenir set, the Primus package, bagged version of the box set, a shirt and dealer room spendings, I dropped about $4500.
    That was my first Botcon, and if I were you I'd definitely try to budget to splurge, it makes up for the years you can't go. I saved up for about 5 months, eating nothing but Ramen and going straight to work and back home :lol . If you're flying and do plan on buying a bunch of stuff that won't fit, or you don't want to risk putting in your luggage, bring cash to FedEx it back to your home too :lol