Botcon 2012 : The Nail in the Coffin to the Classics / G1 Collector (And Bay Movies)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltimusPrime, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Oh no. A year with only a few things to spend your money on. Whatever shall you do.

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's kind of nice to have a break from classics for a bit, esp with the subscription service and green Giant coming. I realize that's like saying "it's nice to have a break from paying retail prices, so I can pay through the nose for limited run toys."

:lol  I was thinking the same thing. I can't say that I'm surprised, it's been pretty obvious that Prime and the Fall of Cybertron video game/toy line are the corner stones of Hasbro's 2012 TF plans.

3. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    people cry that classics is dead about as much as they do about the encore line....

:thumb s

4. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Sometimes I wish I was a fan of only one or two lines so I could take a break :lol 

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It wouldn't be shocking if Hasbro was holding back something big like Voyager Grimlock for Comic Con. Between movies, comic books, video games, other toy companies, stars wanting to hype a film, or directors making some buzz on a project it's hard to stand out in the news from Comic Con.

Something like Grimlock just might one of those stand out from the crowd news bits to get plenty of coverage.

6. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro said there were 40 Generations toys lined up for 2013. We only saw 11 revealed at Botcon. 29 more to go.

Plus I am putting Cyberverse Prime Ironhide and Wheeljack on my Classics Legends shelf.

7. OmegaSupreme235

OmegaSupreme235 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Springer (Hunt for the Decepticons Tomahawk with new head)

Any idea on a release date?

8. Reflector Prime

Reflector Prime Well-Known Member

There was a classics Legends G1 Hoist amongst the figures pulled out during the restock of the display cases after the panel. It was not included for whatever reason but it was there, meaning there were likely more locked away as well.

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I personally think it's great. I'm trying to save money and the fact that next to no figures interest me from what has been revealed works to that end.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    My want list from Classics - Generations due to gaps is pretty small, so whatever the case, I don't mind. Oddly, I typically have that kind of "whatever" attitude to Classics. I'm glad we get whatever we get, but I rarely find myself feeling I'm "lacking" something.

That being said, I'd be thrilled with just a deluxe Trailcutter[breaker].

11. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Buy G.I. Joe Retaliation toys!

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout The Immortal Colasour TFW2005 Supporter

Honesty? It just sounds like the OP is bitching about how he has to import all this stuff for raised prices because it's not going to get released Stateside.

What amuses me is that we've been here before.

Remember Henkei! Red Alert? Or how about the Henkei retools of Dirge and Thrust? While not the exact same decos (and in RA's case, not the same lightbar), they did see eventual release through Generations. Hasbro LOVES making money, and all signs point to them bringing at least some of these repaints to the Western world. The fact Generations will have a Voyager class supports this, since it provides the avenue with which to release the repainted Classics/HFTD voyagers that was previously unavailable due to Generations being deluxe only.

In the meantime, the absence of classics is alright, especially for the Summer, as Hasbro does want to put the focus on the Prime, Kre-O, and mixed cyberverse figures. Not having Classics in the mix means less competition for the franchise with itself, and as said many times before less product that you want to buy on shelves means more money left in your pocket to be spent on other things. Like playing catch-up with buying older molds from previous lines in the cases of people who weren't fans at the time.

13. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I certainly agree I'd want more Classics, but if you're seriously asking why the gap, it's because Hasbro has been and is busy selling toys supported by: 1.) a huge movie 2.) a cartoon series 3.) a video game

Ok, maybe you've clarified your point since then, but can maybe you should understand how your title comes across to other people. The only mention of "2012" is "Botcon 2012" and then you talk about the "nail in the coffin". No mention of "nail in the coffin .... for only the calendar year of 2012".

The language in the title I think strongly implies a viewpoint of Botcon 2012 being the event that signals the permanent end of Classics/Movie stuff. It may be a figurative expression, but wince when is there a "temporary" nail in the coffin?

14. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Characters from Season Three that seem to get ignored include some of the following:

Chase
    Freeway
    Rollbar
    Wideload
    Searchlight
    Gnaw/Sharkticon
    Alligatorcon would kind of be nice to have
    Quintessons
    Trypticon
    I would say Metroplex, but Cybertron prooved they can make a non-city version
    Strafe
    Afterburner
    Nosecone
    Lightspeed
    Scattershot
    Hun-Grrrr
    Cutthroat
    Blot
    Rippersnapper
    Sinnertwin
    And the BIGGIE, can't believe you forgot them...
    Razorclaw
    Rampage
    Tantrum
    Divebomb
    Headstrong
    Also blink and you'll miss them...
    Overkill (Technically he did get a toy recently, but it was a repaint of that less than stellar Grimlock mold, I'd kind of like to see a proper G1 Overkill update, with that pointy horn on the tip of his t-rex nose.)
    Slugfest

This is to whoever brought up the list. As for your complaints OP, I don't mind, hell I still need everyone from WfC except Soundwave for my Generations collection and this down time is allowing me to focus on G.I.Joe while I wait for new Prime products to hit shelves. (As well as Star Wars) I also haven't even gotten Sky Shadow or Junkheap yet because they never came to Canada, though I'm still hopeful that some cases might make it up to the discount chains.

15. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No movie toys? Well that's it, I'm outta here.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    :puke: 

17. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Hasbro and other big companies take a look at the convention schedules, make their plans to attend, and then want to space out the news on the reveals so that they have something they can share at each of the conventions they attend. At least that makes the most sense to me.

18. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This thread makes me laugh.

19. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Did you know that when you make a thread, it is generally a good idea to actually make your point clear in your first post as well as title? Otherwise you get confusion and people totally missing the point of the thread. Otherwise, it sounds like you are "moving the goalposts.

Not that I really care, since this thread is pointless bitching. We're getting some Classics characters in 2013, this is hardly the nail in the coffin for anything.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I sincerely think saying the movie line is dead is premature, given there's another one coming out in 2 years.