Botcon 2012 Shattered Glass Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Reigner, May 3, 2012.

1. Reigner

Reigner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Time for me to venture into the boxset for Botcon 2012. And I’ll start with what had the potential to be the figure I most looked forward to when everything was initially announced. I’m a huge Soundwave fan. Despite missing some I try my best to get one of every Soundwave figure that gets released. So when I heard that a Soundwave was an included figure this year, the year I’m attending, of course I got excited. The artwork was released and I was still excited, the drawing looked slick! Then I saw the TFClub photo and my heart sank. Read on for the rest of the review.

[​IMG]

Figure Design
    Shattered Glass Soundwave utilizes the Universe Ironhide/Ratchet toy. The original toy is OK at best. The alt-mode is riddled with unsightly panel lines, and in this case, a bunch of boring white plastic. First thing you probably notice is a strange tampo-graph on the side of the car. What’s this? you may be asking. Well it’s of course a Cold Slither Logo; yes, a GI Joe reference is sitting here slapped onto a Transformers toy. Now I could go onto a rant as to how ridiculous (in the bad sense) that I think this is, but I like to keep these reviews short if possible so I will move on. The transformation of this toy is average with a bit of finiky panel movement in the feet/shins. The resulting robot is wide and squat. This is a look that works well enough for Ironhide or Ratchet, but for Soundwave it just looks wrong, and I hate it. What worse is that he’s still mostly white. I understand that this is probably suppose to be a homage to the white version of the Music Label toy, but that’s a reference that’s not even clever let alone fun in my opinion. Like I said in the SGPrime review, if you’re going to do Shattered Glass then have a bit more fun with the homage deco. Paint him up to look like Blaster (SG Cyclonus), or the G2 Go-Bot (SG Thundercracker) those are deco’s that I could get behind. And I haven’t even gotten to his headsculpt yet. The fourth FunPub headsculpt (yeah, I forgot too, I went back and changed it in my other review) is subpar at best. The Club went so far as to try to get rid of the dopey depressed look that has plagued this mold, but at a cost. The face is so elongated that it just doesn’t look like Soundwave and his eyes are so blank and expressionless that I end up feeling sorry for him anyway. And this is the Soundwave that is supposed to be the be-bopping, scit-scatting, funkasaurus with personality! It seems that with a bit of plastic shaving and paintwork that this headsculpt might be salvageable but I’m afraid to do that to what is essentially a $50 toy.

[​IMG]

Accessories
    Soundwave comes with the same Gun/Blade combo weapon that his predecessors have both come with, once again, nothing really new here. This IS where I’m gonna start talking headbands though! For a bargain steal of $5 at the show, you could pick yourself up a piece of plastic history. A Green Headband meant to make Soundwave rock the F out! This is easily the best part of the entire Botcon sho…OK, I can’t keep going with this (sorry Cooksux) This is a turd, plain and simple. It’s a piece of plastic that doesn’t even match the toy colors let alone any promo art, it looks like a piece of greenstuff sculpting material. It’s covered in mold flash (and I seemed to get one of the BETTER ones) and when placed on his head looks a bit too bulky. The only bright side I can give this accessory is that it does convey the illusion of making Soundwaves head look a bit wider. Instead I managed to acquire a sample of Transheadbands first ever release! This is where it’s at. Simply tie this piece on to your Soundwaves head and you’ve got yourself a hip cat!

[​IMG]

Articulation
    The articulation is what saves this toy. The arms do enough, but the bulk of the forearms makes me wish it did more. The legs and ball jointed ankles allow for really wide stances. And with the personality of this Soundwave behind the toy it’s very easy to lose yourself in the possibilities.

[​IMG]

Overall
    To be honest, I’m mixed. On the one hand I can’t stand the original toy or the deco chosen for this toy. But on the other as I was shooting the photographs for this review I had a lot of fun making him as expressive as possible. I’d still say it’s probably an easy pass, but it’s probably in the middle of the Botcon exclusives pack.

For more photos, check out the full review! Botcon 2012 Shattered Glass Soundwave « The Plastic Vault

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. NICKBOT

NICKBOT Entitlement? Piss off.

News Credits:
    Thanks Trent. To me this is a POS of a figure, I didn't even transform him. I checked the QA on this guy and quickly put him back into the box. Shitty deco and they got peanut butter (JOE) in my jelly (TFormers)! I dunno, honestly if I didn't have the actual box to this set I'd ditch this figure and his tard-o headband. I should have opted for the loose set and sold this turd while I had the chance.

3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is one of the worst head sculpts Botcon has done, but I think Metalhawk is the biggest offender.

4. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You guys don't like that fruit snack head?

5. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

Am I one of the few people that likes this figure? I would have liked to pick one up.

6. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    It's just not Soundwave without his minions. Instead of making a headband, FP probably would've made a killing had they produced a Ravage or Laserbeak for extra money.

7. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Very nice review. What're the chances of a third party head for this guy? I feel like this one just doesn't really nail the energy of the character.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Third party heads for con toys are the funniest concept ever.

IMO this toy IS SG Soundwave, and I love SG Soundwave, So Yeah. He can't help his mold, and after the final paintjob I actually like the head. Shame that headband-o-calypse is the only thing anyone will remember.

I don't know squat about GIJoe but I don't know why anyone would have a tizzy about the logo. It's a fictitious Hasbro-owned band, and it fits an aspect of the character that was established years before this toy saw daylight.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This looks okay. I'd like it a lot more if the headsculpt was better. It just looks so derpy because the head looks like it's squished.

10. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The lack of details and the awkward proportions doesn't really help at all.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I support the 'ribboning'.

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    That's a really crazy but cool Idea I often think of a Blue Sideswipe after his Go-bot but it never even crossed my mind what a modern Soundwave would look like coloured like his Go-bot.

Now you got me thinking of all the Soundwave toys over the years and what they'd look like redone in Yellow !!

Oh (Animated - Juicy)

13. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I actually like this guy. I was looking into picking one up in the future when I have the spare cash floating around. The only problem is that he's just not complete without Ravage, and him alone can run you upwards of 50 bucks in a good number of cases... (DARN YOUR IRRESISTIBLE WAVING RAVAGE).

14. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Does his license plate actually say SNO WAV :lol 

It sure looks like it!

15. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    I love it

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It says "SND WAV".

17. Dark_T_Zeratul

Dark_T_Zeratul Well-Known Member

On the one hand, it does a fine job of being SG Soundwave. On the other hand... This is easily one of the worst molds in the line. Why couldn't they have made him a redeco of Perceptor?

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    The figure could use some lovin, but the review was amazing. Superb job!

19. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Meh to Perceptor. No thanks, i don't want another mold that doesn't quite hold together in bot mode. I just got Soundwave today in the mail, and he was worth it! I dig him quite a bit.

20. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think Perceptor can look like a band van.