Botcon 2012 Shattered Glass G2 Laser Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Reigner, May 2, 2012.

1. Reigner

Reigner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started my Botcon reviews with Kick-Off so it’s only natural that I should continue with his bagmate G2 Shattered Glass Prime. Let me start out by saying I don’t outright hate the concept of Shattered Glass, but I don’t like it when it feels forced or uninspired. I like SG Thundercracker because it gives me Action Master Thundercracker, I like SG Cyclonus because in a way it makes sense. I dislike SG Galvatron because it’s just another purple Galvatron. With this figure though it’s a little of column A and a little of column B.

[​IMG]

SG G2 Laser Prime is nothing more than a repaint of the Reveal the Shield Laser Prime released last year. As far as the sculpt and engineering goes it’s about what you expect from modern transformers. The base figure is a nice modern update of the original G2 Prime toy. One improvement though is that FunPub seemingly went with the Takara version of this mold. What this means is that the stupid little peg that pegs the shoulders together in vehicle mode is not as large and in-the-way as the US release. I was ready to rail on this toy for that before I even got to Botcon, but seeing that change made me warm up to this toy a little bit. It’s the paint however, where I have my issues. Just like the first Shattered Glass Prime, this figure is nothing more than a purple repaint. While I understand that in theory, I really wish a bit more thought would have gone in to this. See both G2 Prime and the Reveal the Shield toy have a really nice vehicle deco that gradients from red to black. I really would have liked to have seen something similar done on this toy. A gradient from purple to something else, like the dark blue from the original SG Prime, would have been a nice throwback to both the original SG Prime and the original toys. Instead we’re given a ton of silver dry-brushing on the figure. Initially I really liked this, until I realized that it’s not consistent. I had to get my figure replaced at the con, and I really like the original dry-brushing that my figure had. However they only replace my one arm, and now the deco is asymmetrical and looks kind of ridiculous. I do really like the clear yellow glitter plastic used for his windows and sword though, very nice touch!

[​IMG]

Accessories
    Nothing new here either. It’s the same sword that came with the RTS release, and no new head to speak of. I can’t ever really knock a Transformer for not coming with a lot of accessories as that’s not the purpose of the toy.

[​IMG]

The articulation on this figure is great. The simple fact that his wrists are comprised of a hinge on top of a balljoint already puts this guy ahead of most other Transformers. Add to that some nice balljointed large feet, and you can really get this guy in some dynamic sword poses. At least as far as the legs are concerned. The flaps on the arms and the huge shoulders tend to get in the way of any extreme movement in the arms, but they do enough.

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, this really just feels like an uninspired toy. A quick and easy repaint that really didn’t seem too imaginative. A change to the vehicle deco would have gone a long way to further sell me on this toy. The crowd seems to be split on which toy from this two-pack they like better, so if you like one more than the other, odds are you’ll find someone willing to split the set with you if you don’t want to pay the full price for both.

For more pictures check out my full review http://theplasticvault.com/2012/05/02/botcon-2012-shattered-glass-g2-prime/

2. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I like the dry-brushing, it's kind of funny that he has the brushing and crack in his windows as this is supposed to be new, improved body.

3. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    I think this is the strongest set of the three. SG Prime or Kick-off, each can fetch about $100. Junkions don't appeal much individually. Octopunch Spinister set didn't even sell out.

It might be a lazy repaint but the implementation/paint job turns out to be quite outstanding for a smaller deluxe.

4. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which he probably ran headlong into a warzone with immediately :p .

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And got a crack in the window in the same place? Dude should really learn to protect his left side.

7. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    That looks pretty awesome! I especially love the scratches on the hood!

8. John ofthe Dead

John ofthe Dead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My favorite bit on SG Prime is the new motto on the hood:

"I shall stand..."

"The rest shall fall."

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Yeah, much better than the original quote. And I'm not sure why you'd expect fake weathering to be symmetrical anyway...regardless, I was really surprised how cool this toy was. :) 

10. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I wasn't looking forward to this figure at all, but after having it I believe it is one of the most impressive figures this year. It definitely looks nicer than the original RTS G2 Prime as the weathering adds a lot of detail. I also have a KO of the first SG Prime and prefer that one but I am still very glad I got this. I think in the long run, this will be the most sought after figure in the set due to the impressive paintjob and the fact that it is Optimus Prime.

11. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    But he's got an heroic alternate mode.

You want a color change as well, just call Evac, Blades or Springer "Shattered Glass Galvatron". They don't look like Galvatron, but they're not purple - just like you wanted.

There should be one element of the original character still present. For Galvatron, its the color scheme. For Optimus Prime its the alternate mode.

Each year at least two deluxe toys share the same mold as another toy. Optimus Prime was chosen solely to be this year's reuse of Ultra Magnus. Kick-Over being the other, of Treadshot. Don't think that the starting point for this toy was "whats the best way to update Optimus Prime?" - it was either this mold as Optimus Prime, another character using this mold, or another character using another mold already in the set.

12. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:

Well they could have used this mold as Toxitron perhaps?

At first I was dissappointed when I heard about this guy being one of the exclusives this year. But once I got him in hand I was dumbfounded by the attention to detail that went into his paint apps, I love the weathering, the cracked window, the motto on the fender, this is a Prime that looks psychotic and I love it.

13. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have so little interest in Toxitron it's not funny. Two of him in a ROW? No thanks.

14. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Considering the original Toxitron was a repaint of Laser Optimus Prime, I think it'd be far more appropriate than this repaint.

15. Absolute

Absolute Evil Autobot

Ebay:
    anyone have a pic of this next to the 2008 version?

16. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't care.

The original Toxitron also failed utterly to exist...I think they were homaging him in this way. :D 

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
  18. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone have pics of this guy in Battle Tanker Armor?
    I know SG UM looks pretty bad-ass with it on.

19. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The sword still hard to put in his hand and makes his hand have stress marks.
    Better just lightly sand the sword to prevent future damage.

20. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If only he wasn't so small he might look as mean as the classics version. On a similar note, call me if they ever do a purple Cybertron Leader Optimus Prime. :rock