Botcon 2012 Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by JazzIsBack, Nov 3, 2011.

1. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

how much should i bring

trying to save up for next years botcon and trying to figure out how much ill need to save, i plan on trying to do evrything includng getting all the exclusives and the souvenirs

2. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    if thats all you want then about 700 as long as they dont jack the price again me myself took 3k last year

3. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    You can use the previous years registration costs as "general" guidelines for the cost of attendee exclusives as well as the box set.

That works out to be roughly (with rounding up) $400 for the box set + $300 total for the three different sets of exclusives. Then factor in hotel costs (say at most $150 a night), transportation from your house to the con (you'll have to figure that out) and food and that'll roughly get you to a number that should be ''more'' than what it'll cost. If you want to go on one of FunPubs planned excursions/sightseeing tours I think those were less than $100 each.

There are ways to make the experience cheaper, like sharing hotel rooms or eating nothing but PB&J and water, etc. But those are decisions you have to make.

Just remember, saving ''more'' is always better than not saving enough. ;) 

4. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Question about being a dealer at Botcon/conventions and advice

First off, if this is the wrong sub-forum, I apologize.

Here's my situation:

I live in Florida, east coast near Kennedy Space Center. Approx. mileage to Dallas is 1100 miles one way, so roundtrip it's 2200 miles, and probably be a bit more.

I have 15 27-gallon totes of loose transformers (mostly G1), plus at least another few totes of boxed figures. Obviously, Botcon is prime time to sell them. I had been hoping for another Orlando show, but that's obviously not happening, and I don't care to wait another year to start selling this stuff.

My Problem/question:
    So I called u-haul for a quote, and to rent a truck, it would cost upwards of $1500-2000 approx. One option that she gave me was to rent a pickup from enterprise (or similar), and then rent a u-haul trailer. That is still far cheaper, clocking in around 700ish round trip.

Then you have to factor in hotels...figure at least $400.

A booth will likely be another $400. To really give me display room, I'd probably really need 2, but we'll stick with 1 for now.

Gas and food you'd have to budget at least I'd think another $500.

I'm not going to count buying any of the exclusives, as I'd have purchased that for myself anyways if i Just went as a attendee alone.

So lets tally that up (on the cheap side)

Booth: $400
    Truck/trailer: $700
    Hotel: $400
    Food/Gas: $500

That's a grand total of $2000 to do the convention by my calculation. I lose approximately 13% by selling on ebay, so I'm trying to figure out whether the cost to do the convention would end up being cheaper than any possible ebay fees I might incur. Obviously by that math, I'd have to do a huge volume in sales in order to make it worth the expense.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to bring costs down? I assume most dealers are in the same boat I am. There has to be a way to do it, as I don't see EVERY dealer doing 15K in sales. I don't think I'd come close to approaching that number as a guarantee.

And for that matter, how the hell do the international sellers at Botcon do it? If I'm struggling to justify price on something this close (relatively), how do people who have to ship items internationally and then fly over here make money?

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    If I were you I would consider selling when it's local or Wizard World.

6. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

do the classes and other activities cost anything?

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yes. If you truly want to do everything and then have spending money for the dealer's room I'd suggest bringing 2K+. When you factor in hotel rooms, flights, food, toys ... it gets expensive.

8. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have you thought about sharing a spot and splitting with someone? Maybe shipping could work for you too? Just brainstorming..

9. motorhead9999

News Credits:
    That's my problem. For various reasons, all my stuff has to go, and I want it gone sooner rather than later. I was willing to wait till Botcon, because obviously its the prime place to move a lot of volume in one shot. I'm not really willing to wait another year on the off chance that it'll come this way again.

10. motorhead9999

News Credits:
    The actual spot itself isn't a problem for me. Of all the costs, that's the one I have no problem with paying. What really ends up killing me is the transportation costs. Currently, none of my stuff is in any state to ship, nor do I know if there'd be a safe, cost effective way of doing it.

11. starbasetoys

starbasetoys Cybertronian Trader

Dude, get your best stuff together in as few totes as possible (just as many as you can fit in your vehicle). Bring them with you, but don't get a dealer table. Make sure you get a hotel room at the Botcon hotel location, and after hours you can either bring your tubs into the lobby, or extend invitations to fellow collectors to come by your room and sell them out of there.

Much lower overhead, and you'll be able to move a lot of items if you price them right.

12. motorhead9999

News Credits:
    That thought had crossed my mind as well, but my car's pretty small...I couldn't fit much in there, and certainly not enough to justify the cross country trip.

I just tried calling PODS, but that's even more expensive than renting a Uhaul myself. Methinks its not going to happen.

I don't suppose anyone knows any other dealers in florida who would be going?

13. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    dont forget if you're a dealer in the dealer room you have to collect taxes or at least pay the state sales tax on your sales. Unfortunately, I have no clue what that is.

Another possibility is to just ship boxes of your wares to the hotel. That could be cheaper. When my wife (gf at the time) moved to Denver she basically USPS Parcel Post everything and it was relatively inexpensive.

Else there's also the Junkion section here =)

good luck!

14. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would think that mailing or sending Fed Ex would be cheaper than hauling the toys all that way. Also, I think other domestic businesses would already have trucks and other required equipment to sell at Botcon or other conventions which you would have to rent/purchase for this one con. I would think for vendors it's just as much about buying the exclusives and finding other deals on stuff they can resell in their store as it is about selling the stuff they brought with them.

And for foreign vendors I think it's more about advertising their existence more than actually making money on the items that they bring.

15. Argentenoboy

Argentenoboy But what was even more like a drug was the drugs

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never been to a botcon, mainly because they're usualy no where near where i live. However, I plan to get the Iacon Package. I have a few questions

1. What does the Iacon Package usualy cost
    2. Where can I buy it
    3. Do I get anything else besides the box set
    4. When can I buy it

Many thanks to those who will answer this. I've never had anything to do with a BotCon thing before

16. XJunky

XJunky Howdy Ho Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Edited the title-> Botcon 2012 Questions. We have a thread every year, it may as well start here.

Traditionally the Iacon Package costs the same as an Attendee Package: Botcon 2011 costs were $315 for TFCC members, $385 for non-members.

Through the Botcon Site: Registration, as soon as registration opens.

Nope. The freebie figure and souvenirs are only available to attendees.

See 2 :) 

17. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1.) It's different every year, last year it was $315 for members and $385 for non-members
    2.) Online after Registration starts
    3.) Comic, Pin and Certificate of Auth.
    4.) Most likely after Attendee sets go on sale

18. Argentenoboy

Argentenoboy But what was even more like a drug was the drugs

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the help. Now I better start saving up money =D

19. darkglasdinobot

darkglasdinobot Well-Known Member

1st Time at BotCon

My sister and I are going to BotCon for the 1st time. Does anyone have any pointers or advice?

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Welcome to the boards!

Although I've never been to Botcon, I have been to Auto Assembly in the UK for the last 4 years and it can be a bit daunting going to your first con. The best advice I would give is talk to people, make friends, be organised (ie have a programme or a map with you at all times so you don't miss anything) and take plenty of money! OK, well that last bit you can take or leave, as you don't need to spend a fortune on toys to have a great time. It's the atmosphere and the buzz of meeting so many like-minded new people that is the great thing about conventions. Sure, there are your fair share of cretins trolling around the place, but they are in the minority (in my experience at least).

Overall, I would just say be prepared, relaxed, positive and make the most of it. :thumbs2: