Botcon 2012 Comic (aka Transformers Timelines #7)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Swoop Dogg, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Can anybody with the comic tell me if SG Nightbeat is in the comic? Since SG Nightbeat is the head of the Autobot Secret Police, I thought that there might be a chance that he was in the comic given the fact that SG Longarm (the 2012 customization class figure) also works for the Autobot Secret Police.

Also, what are your general thoughts on the comic? I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments on the comic since I can't be in Dallas this weekend.

2. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Somebody has to have read this by now. Anybody?

3. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wouldnt expect responses from botcon attendee till this evening,since they are, you know, at botcon looking at stuff.

4. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love it if someone did a full synopsis for those of us who have to wait MONTHS to get the comic.

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Same here :) 

You can put spoiler tags for the people who wander in, just to be safe :) 

6. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Genus time! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well someone out there has read it! Speak up!

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, didn't realize this thread was out there. Figured the Wiki would update this soonish.

First off, no Autobot secret police at all. I did not see Nightbeat but it's possible he's a BG character. None of this SG Longarm business.

Now for a synopsis. I'm going from memory but I read the comic three times and went to the TFCC comic panel.

The comic starts off on Paradron in the SG universe. In this universe it's a prison planet. We see the aftermath of a prison break that involved SG Ultra Magnus and his troops: Tracks, Wreck-Gar and the Junkions, and Wheeljack. It's implied lightly that Wheeljack broke them out and that Rodimus, who was till recently WJ's commander, wants to play Magnus off of Optimus. But anyway.

SG Ironhide is bleeding out on the floor, and Magnus has placed a call to Optimus (in his new body). Magnus is in the middle of taunting Optimus (who is on a large monitor) about his escape, and as Ironhide crawls up to his feet Magnus pulls out a pistol and dispatches him. "Such pitiful nonsense!" Oh, but in THIS version we see Magnus kick away Ironhide's smoking head. So much for THAT exclusive, kids! We also find out here that Magnus has somehow procured an item of great power called the Terminus Blade. Wheeljack opens up some kind of portal, and Magnus turns to leave with a final, "I was always Father's favorite. I can't wait until you learn why." Optimus yells in fury. Then, we get a time cut of a few minutes (we see in a few pages what happened when the SG Autobots went through the portal) and Optimus activates a voice-controlled beacon at the prison, musing that while he can't catch Magnus now, he knows a Decepticon who will stop at nothing to defeat him.

Now we cut back to the Classics universe: the Ironworks base. As we saw in the prologue, Overlord Gigatron and his troops attacked the base looking for the Rarified Energon that is stored there, but the attack has been repelled. The base commander, Rad, is proudly informing other bases of this, with Metalhawk, who came from another base to turn the tide, standing by. We see on the monitors the Pretenders on the Skyhammer, Spike and Fort Max in South America, and Perceptor, the Lambos, and Buster Witwicky in the "Ark II." Outside, several Autobots are repairing the base: Kick-Off in his toy body commanding a bunch more Action Masters, plus Broadside, Sandstorm, and Outback.

Suddenly, the other side of that portal opens in the sky. The 'bots have just enough time to decide it's "not quite" a space bridge when three purple metallic worms fly out of it. They latch onto the chests of Broadside, Sandstorm, and some Action Master and painfully reformat them into SG Junkions! The three grab Outback, Mainframe, and another old AM and reformat them too. Rad tells Metalhawk to stay back and charges outside, sacrificing himself (he gets Junkioned too) to let Kick-Off escape into the base and seal it off. Kick-Off reports to Metalhawk and Metalhawk tells him to get to the armory while the rest of them fight a delaying action.

The other SG Autobots jump through the portal, Magnus chortling to himself about how weak and pathetic these good "Autobots" are. Wheeljack reports that the Rarified Energon he needs is present. Ultra Magnus carves them an entrance into the base with the Terminus Blade (the toy's sword). Metalhawk and his troops line up to stop him: Scoop, Jazz, Warpath, Tracks, and Wheeljack. (Important note: the latter four are in their old character models, not their Generations toy-based ones.)

Ultra Magnus effortlessly carves up those latter four, "killing" them and leaving them in pieces on the ground. "Whatever you fools have to offer, I CAN DEAL WITH!" Heh. Scoop and Metalhawk are kissing their asses good-bye when a portal opens and four SG Decepticons fly out, led by Treadshot. UM greets Treadshot as an old friend, and declares that their battle will not end just yet. A blinding flash of light emits from the Blade and the evil Autobots disappear.

Now it's exposition time! Kick-Off shows up toting weapons. Treadshot and Soundwave explain about the SG 'verse and that Ultra Magnus was Optimus' greatest rival, till he was betrayed by his troops. UM refused to yield to his brother, so Optimus tore off his face (sound familiar?) We see this flashback, and it's the old version of SG Optimus attacking Armada Ultra Magnus.

Anyway, UM is plotting some bad stuff with the Terminus Blade and the Rarified Energon, apparently facilitated by SG Wheeljack's mad science. The group decides to send Scoop and SG Octopunch down to the Rarified Energon under the base, Treadshot goes after UM, and the rest of them start blasting Junkions.

Meanwhile, Spinister watches the whole thing and reports back to his leader: the Autobots and some mysterious Decepticon-like robots are battling off an invasion. Opportunistically, the Overlord sends Skullgrin and Octopunch (in their classic Marvel Pretender bodies) after the Rareified Energon.

A comedy of errors ensues: Wheeljack does SOMETHING to the Energon and teleports back to Magnus, guarding his machinery with an impenetrable forcefield. The Classics Decepticons get there just in time for Scoop and SG Octopunch to show up and a brawl ensues. Scoop easily dispatches Skullgrin, berating him for "bringing a knife to a gun fight." The Octopunches trade blow after blow, SG Octo screaming for Scoop to bring down the forcefield. Scoop, hilariously, has his guns transform back into Nebulans and tells them to take down the forcefield. The Nebulans look blank, and one asks the other, "Why does everyone always assume we are good with machines?" :lol 

Both Octos are now rather the worse for wear, with the Classic version trying to convince his "Autobot" opponent to back down, for he "survived the Unicron war, one of Gigatron's personal bodyguards, Octopunch!" SG Octopunch fires back, "For the last time, I'm not an...wait, Octopunch?" Both of them get a hilarious "moment of realization" panel, then SG Octopunch just hauls off and KOs his evil counterpart. But SG Octo can't batter down the forcefield either and the two of them head back up.

Treadshot stalks SG UM and Wheeljack. He threatens UM with his pistol, but Wheeljack cries out "now!" and UM thrusts the Blade into some equipment. Massive tremors and storms begin to wrack the globe, and in a bunch of cameo-filled panels we see Transformers and Marvel heroes trying to save people. (No lines or close-ups for the Marvel bunch obviously.)

Treadshot and UM start to wrestle, and Kick-Off joins the fray but the two are only really managing to stall him. Soundwave fights through some Junkions rather awesomely, but is about to be overwhelmed...when the Classic Decepticons drive up and blast them to shreds. Overlord's troops include Thrust, Dreadwing, Weirdwolf, Carnivac, and Snarler. Overlord tells Soundwave, "I know not who you truly are, but you wear the symbol of greatness! If anyone can save this planet, you can! WE Decepticons will show you how to repel an invasion!" Cue awesome fight panels. Soundwave tries to decipher WJ's equipment. WJ is about to kill him when SG Octopunch takes his ass down. "You look like something Ravage dragged in, buddy!' "Yeah, I'm my own worst enemy."

EVERYBODY dogpiles UM at this point, but he throws them all aside and drives desperately at Soundwave. He's about to run him down when a shell from Gigatron and missiles from Metalhawk blast him aside. He weakly asks if Soundwave has defeated his plan. Soundwave joyously proclaims, "I cranked your forcefield to eleven thousand percent! This planet is safe!"

UM: "Oh. Is that all? FOOL. My goal was never to destroy this planet. I simply did not take steps to ensure its survival. I have succeeded; Autobots, fall back!"

The Classics characters and SG Decepticons watch in horror during the last few panels, which I have to say FunPub, were not real clear. But the entire universe is destroyed, melting away before their eyes, all except Earth which remains protected by the forcefield. As SG Straxus tries to lift everyone's spirits with an inspiring verse, we see Earth appear orbiting another Cybertron.

So what happened? According to the comic panel, Ultra Magnus destroyed the Classics universe and Classics Earth has been kicked into the SG universe. This is apparently part of some greater plan on UM's part to gain cosmic power. As for why FunPub did this, it was to end the "redundancy" between the Classics universe and ReGeneration One, not to mention to consolidate their fictional universes. Now they just have Classics/SG, Wings of Honor (next BotCon), and Animated to play with (with TransTech as the overarching universe still I guess). Oh, and UM's victims are totally getting rebuilt into their toy bodies.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Wait...they're redoing Wings of Honor, too?

9. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Hey Anguirus, thanks a lot for the synopsis :) 

Wow, that ending was...confusing. So, the SG-verse universe Earth has been replaced by the Classics Earth? Or do we have Two Earths now? Can't believe they killed off all the other TFs in the Classics-verse. Guess this means we'll still be seeing SG in the future though.

I think what he means is that next year, we're getting a Wings of Honor continuity comic/set, which means it'll probably be related to the cartoon continuity.

10. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Classics Earth has been ported fully into the SG universe, and appears to orbit Cybertron. SG Earth would logically still exist. They are still deciding on a name for the "new" universe but they are expecting it to be a lot of fun. I actually am excited for it, and I'm glad they aren't fruitlessly competing with ReGeneration 1.

And yes, ALL other Classics TFs are incredibly dead. Ben and Pete talked about how fun it was, in a twisted way, to blow away your own favorite setting, and joked "there are way too many Optimuses and Megatrons anyway!" Of course there are still billions of survivors on Earth and TONS of TFs since the Autobots had at least four major bases there.

Wings of Honor refers to their entire "cartoon" continuity. They've been doing Club comics to lead up to it, and the next BotCon set will be in this universe barring a last-minute change in plans. Should be another exciting set for CHUG fans...

11. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Wait so Classics Prime and Megatron are dead? aw man :(  Can you give a general idea of like who survived and who didn't?

12. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, the way to figure that out would be:

Imagine a Classics robot. Are they on Earth?
    -If no, they're dead.
    -If yes, go to next question.

Were they an Autobot Triple Changer, original-character Action Master, or Outback?
    -If yes, they're dead; turned into Junkions, sparks destroyed.
    -If no, go to next question
    Special note: in Classics Springer is not a Triple Changer and Kick-Off is not an Action Master. But Springer might still be dead, don't know if he was on Earth.

Are they Classics Jazz, Warpath, Tracks, or Wheeljack?
    -If yes, they were slaughtered by Ultra Magnus, but they will be rebuilt into their toy bodies in future fiction.
    -If no, go to next question

Are they Shattered Glass Junkions?
    -If yes, they may have been decapitated by Sir Soundwave or blown apart by Overlord. Or they may not have been. It doesn't really matter, they are all the same. Next!

Are you Skullgrin?
    -If yes, you got your whole chest brutally blown apart by Scoop because someone remembered that Targetmasters are really good at shooting people. However you also got a Generations toy so even if you are dead, don't plan to stay that way.
    -If no, we can officially assume you're alive.

Now, CONFIRMED ALIVE:
    -All of the toys in the box set.
    -Scoop
    -The Autobot Pretenders
    -All of Overlord's troops except maybe Skullgrin (I'm just scratching "fuck with Scoop" off my to-do list).
    -Pretty much the whole SG universe.
    -The Witwickys, Cerebros, and Fortress Maximus
    -Perceptor, Sideswipe, and Sunstreaker
    -Some other guys I don't know (I'm thinking all the bots cameoing and rescuing people survived the chaos on Earth).

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    What if you're a Classics fan?

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are people who are specifically fans of the Classics universe? There are people besides me who don't hate the club and everything about it?

Well Classics Earth is fine. And ReGeneration One has exactly the same premise as the original Classics comic.

I mean you can go yell at the people who blew up the universe, but they are the same folks who created it. They even got Simon Furman's blessing.

I've got to say it was interesting to have the good guys lose so badly. SG Ultra Magnus is a twisted, bad dude.

15. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's interesting that they decided he should be an even greater threat than Prime (but I guess that's the SG-verse for ya) gonna be interesting to see how they'll go from here, but it seems now, a bunch of Classics vs SG pairings from the club are entirely possible.

16. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Optimus is a greater physical threat, and he's more generally unhinged (Cliffjumper compared him to Straxus). But his hands are full dealing with his own Universe Decepticons and treacherous Autobots. So UM has to go to other universes and eat them to even build up enough power to (I guess) go back and challenge Optimus.

However we don't really know where their story is going. UM is very physically powerful in the comic, but his stats are mostly lower than Optimus' and he got his ass taken out by combined firepower of Overlord Giga and Metalhawk.

17. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I only got half way through because it was so badly written, I honestly couldn't finish it. I think we were spoiled in 2011 having an actual writer do the comic.

18. Scaleface

News Credits:
    The Generations Skullgrin toy appeared in the Invasion Lithograph too. Seems a pretty safe bet it will be his new toy after he's "fixed".

As for who, from the Classicverse, may still be alive... The guys we last saw on Earth in old Classicverse stories would include:

Autobots:
    Optimus Prime
    Bumblebee
    Rodimus
    Mirage
    Sunstreaker
    Sideswipe
    Ironhide

Decepticons
    Megatron
    The Classic Constructicons
    Astrotrain
    Shockwave's head
    Soundwave and his cassettes
    Dirge
    Ramjet
    Thrust
    Skywarp

Plus the Gobots were last seen arriving on Earth.

Guys last seen in space include Grimlock's crew, Nightbeat's crew, Bludgeon's crew, Starscream's team (thundercracker, Octane) who were taking on Bludgeon, Acid Storm, Dragstrip and Overkill were in space and all the Classic Mini-Cons on Cybertron.

Of course some time has passed since the end of "At Fight's End" so they could have moved.

19. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Good run-down. Ben Yee et al. implied that Megatron and Optimus were dead (and I actually thought Megatron was probably heading off into space to meet the Decepticons) but they may not be.

20. Scaleface

News Credits:
    It's vague enough that we don't really know for sure who might have been off world or on world that we didn't see. The club can pull characters out of their magic hat if they need them and say they were on Earth all along.

If Classic Prime and Megatron are dead, then it's possible their troops will join under the banner's of the opposite side on SG Cybertron. The G1 Autobots joining the SG Decepticons under Galvatron, the G1 Decepticons coming under the banner of SG Optimus. Equally possible is that each sided will elect a new leader, like Metalhawk and Overlord, and be based on G1 Earth.