botcon 2011 set profit

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Crazy Ramjetty, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Crazy Ramjetty

Crazy Ramjetty marvel's got it good

so I was wondering is it worth it to buy two botcon 2011 boxsets now and sell one later and if so, how much profit would I make off of it in say 1 or 2 years from now?

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Hard to say. Animated is very popular and so are the Stunticons so demand could be quite high.

On the other hand, I know that myself and others aren't really interested in this set at all. In fact, this is probably the first time in several years where there isn't a single Botcon figure being released that I would be interested in owning. I actually like Animated quite a bit, so I'm not hating here. It's just that nothing that we've seen so far has sparked any kind of interest on my end.

3. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah....

I think 2006/7/8 aren't going to be topped anytime soon.

I'm getting a set because I like the idea of having a complete team to display, even though I don't own many Animated figures.

4. nerovolpi

nerovolpi Actively Lurking

^^^
    what he said.

5. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got a feeling it will. alot of ppl even sell there second sets the weekend of for twice as much.

ebay gets crazy!!!

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very hard to predict. If everyone knew how much sets would be worth in 2-3 years then we'd all be millionaires. =D

EDIT: If you hold the set for 2-3 years we can't predict how the prices will go but if you sell a complete set within the week you can make a decent profit. Most of the profit comes from the convention-only sets though. If you order a non-attending by the time the boxsets reaches you a month later the demand has already dried up.

7. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yes, its hard to say what a set will bring if you hold on to it for a week or a year(s). Its even hard to just what toy will end up being the top peice and which will be the dog out of the set. If I would of know that evil rodiums from 08 botcon would be going for today I would of sat on all the set I bought. But I was able to break up last years set and sell it for a small profit that weekend. Right now on ebay they are bearly selling for the primus cost. I think the add on sets and the attending firfure will either make or break this set.

8. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My girl will be selling her set and she keeps asking me what she'll get for it. With FunPub expecting Primus Packages will sell out fast the demand must be high.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Of course they expect them to sell out. They've sold out every year since 2007.

10. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This year's hard to judge. Animated is more niche then what we've been getting. While Animated did seem popular it was easier to get normal animated toys at retail. As long as you sell the set the week of Botcon you should do decent. Another thing I fear is scalpers. I can't prove it but I believe that a fair number of scalpers bought the 2009 and 2010 set which led to the "sold out" status of those years and this may be the year they decided they've learnt their lesson and buy less.

Even the add-ons aren't guaranteed anymore and Botcon has produced more each year so at least one or two set have made it past Botcon to be sold in the club store.

11. UNI Prof

UNI Prof Well-Known Member

$315 seems like a lot for the Iacon set. I love Animated and LOVE Motormaster, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost. Am I nuts?

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    buy the toys because you love them, not for profit. i'd say just get the one.

13. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Silly question, but do the Primus and Iacon packages typically sell out right away (within hours) or does it take a few days or so? I was just wondering since I do want the box set for the Stunticons but I won't have the money for it until I get paid next Thursday, and if registration goes up before then...

14. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Back in the days they took a months to sell out. You'll have plenty of time unless you want a "First Day" pin.

15. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know I would certainly like a set at a decent price. AKA: So much less than what it's probably going to go for. =(

16. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Yeah, getting to go to the convention makes the price a steal of a deal. People like to think "I'm not going to the convention, I shouldn't have to pay the same amount as people who are." when the price is based on in simple terms.

Attending: ~$300 = Boxset + Convention (airfaire, food, lodging not included)
    Non-attending: ~$300 = Boxset + Shipping + Premium For Getting A Convention Toy Even When You Aren't Attending.

17. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think that this particular set is going to go up in value as much as other sets have. The Animated line isn't something that every Transformer fan loves. Then you have the fact that there isn't much variety within the set or any major players. There is no Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Ironhide, etc. If you don't like Stunticons, you are S.O.L.. Then you add the fact that there was plenty of hate for some of the figure choices, like Drag Strip is now a girl and Motormaster's head doesn't fit the aesthetic of the very obvious Optimus Prime Voyager Mold. And finally, this year the set cost as much as last year, but you only get 1 voyager and 4 deluxes. Last year it was 1 voyager, 3 deluxes and 1 Ultra. Thats like paying almost five times retail for these figures. For all of these reasons, I just don't see this set gaining as much value as others have in the past. And for the record, I like Animated, I like the Stunticons and I plan on getting this set.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's weird how with any other toys, threads degenerate into how scalping sucks but for some reason its okay with Botcon figs. :lol 

Anyway, I don't see the set going for too much more than the show price.

19. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

The OP just jinxed the future value of this set. lol

20. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

QFT! If mac&cheese had asked this question he would have been hunted down for sure!