Botcon 2011 Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Botch, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Botch

Botch Decepticon Intelligence

Ebay:
    The dates given for the 2011 Botcon in Pasadena are 6/2 - 6/5. That's a Thursday through Sunday.

Does that mean the first day of the dealer room will actually be Thursday? Or Friday? Or Saturday? I know in the past there's been, like, dinners and things that preceded the main convention.

Oh, and one more question, actually. Assuming I don't want or care about any of the convention exclusives, how much does it actually cost to get in to the convention?

2. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thursday is usually a day of tours and package pick-ups later that evening.
    Friday is the first day of the dealers room, but for Primus Package holders only.
    Saturday evening is usually when the dinner/poker night/parties take place.
    Not sure what admission is at the door, but if I remember those general admission lines when it was in Cali back in '09, I would safely choose a package before general admission. You could always sell your set... just my 2cents ;) 

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Mykticon nailed it, basically; Friday is dealer room "preview" for Primus package holders. And I definitely echo the idea of getting a package; the general admission lines canbe horriffically long. You'll more than likely be able to make your money back on the box set easily anyway.

4. Botch

Botch Decepticon Intelligence

Ebay:
    So here's my thing: I can probably only attend one day, and I want to balance between getting the best opportunity to obtain some stuff I'm looking for (Headmasters, G1 Japanese exclusives, various accessories, tech specs, etc) and the best price.

Let's say, for arguments' sake, that I was looking for G1 Mindwipe. I've heard that dealers kind of price gouge at Botcon -- wouldn't that be most evident the first day? But if I waited until Sunday (is the dealer room still open on Sunday?), would there even be stuff like Headmasters left?

Generally speaking, if you could only attend one day, which would it be?

~ Botch

5. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The dealer's room is open Sunday and it is generally not as packed. Some dealers do go down on their prices, but I don't think they drop more than $10-20 on items. Heck, sometimes there are great deals on the first day.
    I wouldn't say they gauge prices, but they are at about Ebay prices.

6. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Last 2-3 BotCons the dealer room prices have been right around eBay prices, unless you're the one lucky SOB that finds the one dealer with the one item at a lower than average price.

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The truth with the dealer room is that MOST dealers are simply charging what they normally would. Maybe a nominal touch more for the cost of attending, but we're talking tiny percentages, not big markups here. For instance, to make the money handling simpler, I might round something to a close dollar ot $5 increment, but that doesn't necessarily mean rounding UP, it may just as well go down.

Within that framework, you will certainly find people who are gouging on prices...most of them probably do elsewhere. The majority do as I do, and charge pretty much the same they do normally online or wherever they conduct business. You can find normal pricing, and even some great deals, if you look around a little. Botcon is also a place where a dealer may decide to offer several dollars off their normal price on an item to ensure they move some things. I've done this myself numerous times.

8. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sidecutter is right there will be a few dealer that will price gouge cause they had to ship from the east coast.
    About the dealer room there ups and downs for each day. Take Friday most dealer will not give a good deal on just one peice. Mainly cause the show just open. Let's take botcon 08, I was the only dealer in the whole floor that had a complete vroom. Within the 1st 10minutes I had people low balling me on it. I knew of 3 other dealer that non completes ones, but I had the only complete one, within 20 minutes of the door opening it was sold for my asking price.

Now Sunday dealer will bend over backwards to make that sale happen, but selection will be way down in the room.

You best day to hit the dealer room will be Friday and resell your 2011 botcon set. I been told by some highly appointed people at fp what next year set will be. I don't think your have a problem selling it off.

Plus Thursday night and Friday nights are big from hitting the parts party in the hotel rooms

9. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    If you're only going one day, then Friday's not an option since that is only for full-package attendees. So the choice is down to Saturday or Sunday.

Some dealers have reasonable prices, some dealers negotiate, some dealers have great prices, some dealers have insane prices and don't negotiate. If you're only goal of going to Botcon is to buy a few TFs... I'd actually just suggest going by the boards/ebay and it might run you the same, or even less. I believe single day admission this year was $18.

If the experience of Botcon is worth something, certainly go, but if you're main concern is just getting some items, the total cost to get the item(money & time)... Botcon's probably not going to be a better deal than online buying.

10. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

i to had some questions, how much does this usually cost including stuf like hotel and room and admissision

11. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Official convention hotel somewhere around $120-$150 a night, but might be able to get a cheaper nearby hotel

"Primus Package" full admission plus the boxed set of toys and bonus gift firgure somewhere around $300.

But can go much cheaper with daily admission for Saturday and Sunday(was $18 each day this year). Though even(or especially) if you don't want the toys, the Primus package may be the most economical because the toys can be re-sold to break even or even profit(especially the bonus figure)

12. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    question do you guys think that we will see pre-registration soon this time or a last min thing again.

also i plan on going early this year and would like to volunteer how and who would i ask.

13. A.Prime

A.Prime Well-Known Member

If I cant attend and want the primus package with bonus figure and a friend goes, can he buy a 2nd primus for himself and buy the bonus figure again at the show?

14. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Don't think so. If you can't attend it gets converted into a non-attendee package and mailed to you IIRC - he wouldn't get 2 free attendee figures.

15. A.Prime

A.Prime Well-Known Member

yeah but can he buy a 2nd bonus figure and even I dont attend what does that matter.

I mean it's not one primus per person, I thought you can buy multiple packages

16. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Yes you can buy multiple Primuses but as far as I know, the attendee freebie is one per attendee. If you're not attending, you don't get it - as I said it's converted to a non-attendee package, which does not include the attendee freebie.

If you're talking about the extra sets (like the Sweeps set in 09 or the Sharkticon set last year) then I believe people get a chance to buy one set first on the Thursday, then extra sets from Saturday onwards (though could be wrong, not sure precisely how this one works).

17. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or one of the jerks who got a $100 Sky Garry!

18. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Don't be hating!!!!
    I actual find it funny that people down grade the dealers room. I ALWAYS find deals. I do not purchase on ebay that often because I will not pay those prices. Prices are generally lower in the dealers room IMO. My only problem has been that I am looking for a few things at this point. I will say that the best deals are found on Friday and Sunday as others have stated. If you want something that a lot of dealers have, wait until Sunday. If it is something that is a good deal and hard to find, grab it quick. I am always open to negotiate on anything at any time. I cannot stand dealers who say, well the dealer room just opened. To me that means they might be willing to go down but are looking for a sucker to pop quick. I have a price in mind for everything that I sell, if the price is lower than the price I currently have on the item then I will go down. Simple as that. The parts party is another option to get great deals and to unload your extras.

19. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    I am so ready for the parts party !! cant wait to see the New Toy you guys will have this year

20. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    This is actually not correct. An individual can buy multiple Primus packages and will receive multiple attendee freebies. However, you will only receive one admission badge. I know this for a fact because I've asked the same question to Brian Savage in the past.