Botcon 2011: New characters or unreleased toys ??

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MegaHavok, Jan 28, 2011.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK, so we know that the Botcon box set is the stunticons, which I think is awesome. However I am torn on what to hope for with the add on items. They went through the trouble of getting DJW so I kind of want All new characters but I also want all the missing mold and characters from the show. I'm so lost.

Of the top of my head I would love to see any of this stuff

WASP: BB with new head
    Thundercracker & ramjet
    Autotrooper 3 pack
    Cybertronian Oilslick (show colors new morticycle head)
    Elita-1 (new head on Arcee)
    Brawn (new head on Soundwave)
    Trailerbreaker (new head on Ratchet)
    Hydrodive BB in show colors
    Activators Slipstream

What do you guys hope to see at the con??

2. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    id really like to see a thundercracker and ramjet. also wouldnt mind a deluxe class cliffjumper. but id kill to get mixmaster and scrapper !! lol.

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they make Trailbreaker it would be a shame not to use that remould for a Scorch.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a 3-pack of Autotroopers is a given.

As for the add-on sets:

Hound from Swindle
    Whirl from Blackout
    Kup from Cybertron Mode Optimus
    Scattershot from Cybertron Mode Megatron

Does anyone else think Bulkhead looks a lot like the G1 animation model for Omega Supreme/Guardian Robots? I wonder if we might see a Guardian from the Bulkhead mold, either the Voyager or the Leader...

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I rather have the unreleased figures pop up in Generations. I rather see something new with Botcon. That way it ease the sting for me since they are not show characters.

6. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    Wingblade prime doesn't fit in generations price points though

7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, been doing some more thinking about the set...

It's clear from the hints that the Stunticons are cloned from Autobot protoforms. It's somewhat less clear whether they are or are not cloned from Autobot Elite Guard protoforms, i.e., the members of the Elite Guard. If the latter is the case, then the molds will be Ultra Magnus (for Motormaster, obviously), Sentinel Prime and Blurr, in addition to Jazz who we've already seen. That leaves one mold to shoehorn in. Rodimus is, I think, the most likely choice. So I think I'd like:

Motormaster from Ultra Magnus
    Wildrider from Rodimus
    Breakdown from Blurr
    Drag Strip from Sentinel Prime (I'm imagining them taking Drag Strip more in the direction of a monster truck racer than a traditional race car)

I know the arguments against using Ultra Magnus in the set. It's too big, it's too expensive, they've never used Leader-class figures before, he's got a molded Autobot symbol on his chest, etc., etc. Well, they'd never given us two Ultra-class figures in one year before--until 2010. They'd never given us three souvenir sets before--until 2009. They'd always used at least one Scout-class figure--until 2008. So things change. Here's why I think Ultra Magnus is a real possibility:

1. If the Stunticons are cloned, whole cloth, from Autobot protoforms, that means their heads will be the same as their Autobot counterparts. That means no head remolds in the box set. Money saved for a larger figure. Possibly enough money to remold the chest piece and remove the Autobot symbol. (Though they could just "SG-Wheeljack-AND-Slicer" it and leave it there. There's precedent.)

2. Ultra Magnus is too big? Well, I maintain that Optimus Prime and Wreck-Gar, as the other leading contenders for Motormaster, are too small. A boxset with one Voyager and four Deluxes will be a major step down from past years' sets, and there will be loads of unused space in the box. The only way to make up for that would be to include a sixth figure, and we've seen no indication that they plan to do that.

3. Reportedly, Derrick J. Wyatt's reaction to seeing Motormaster was... extreme. Would his jaw be on the floor for an Optimus or Wreck-Gar repaint? (Okay, this one is massive speculation, but still. He teased us.)

Now for the souvenir sets...

A three-pack of Autotroopers from the Cybertronian Ironhide mold is so obvious I think there'll be mass rioting if we don't get it, and FunPub knows it. But historically this means the Cybertronian Ironhide mold will be used for another figure as well. 2009: Cybertron Sideways was used for Sweeps AND Scourge. 2010: Energon Sharkticon was used for Sharkticons AND Sky-byte.

So, based on DJW's tease that there will be non-G1 homages in the set, my prediction for the other use of Cybertronian Ironhide is... X-Brawn. A second RiD homage besides the free Side Burn figure will be appropriate for RiD's 10th anniversary, I think.

And as it's also Beast Wars' 15th anniversary, how about Terrorsaur from the Swoop mold? Someone else suggested Rhinox from the Snarl mold, which makes more sense from a keeping-the-factions-balanced perspective (a boxset of all Decepticons should equal souvenir sets of all Autobots), but I'll just be honest and say the Snarl mold never did much for me, so I offer Terrorsaur as an alternative.

Earlier I suggested Whirl from Blackout, and I'm still on board there. It started occurring to me how many Wreckers could be gleaned from Animated molds: Roadbuster and/or Ironfist from Swindle, Impactor from Cybertronian Ironhide, Topspin from Deluxe-class Cybertronian Megatron, Rack'n'Ruin from Jetfire and Jetstorm?? I don't know how the Wreckers could be incorporated into the story, as they're apparently all dead in the Animated universe, but I think the toys would be well-received. Any of these possibilities would make a fitting choice for the remaining souvenir figure.

That leaves the free figure. Why not another Ricochet? They're already using the Jazz mold, and the free figure is almost always a re-use of a mold elsewhere in the set, and Ricochet, like Breakdown, has made repeat Botcon appearances.

So there's my thoughts. I know it's a long post, can you tell I love speculating about Botcon figures? Rip it apart... if you can.

8. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    Remolding Ultra magnus's chect piece is an easy fix, and I don't have a problem with his current head for motor master

There is a very easy solution for the "other" figure if Motormaster is a voyager mold and that is a 6th stunticon. What if they just threw somebody like Crasher onto the team or retcon some cheesy way to make Wasp temporarily join the team right before he goes after Bumblebee.

9. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Of course it's not very likely that they'll have any of the unreleased molds, but what about the unreleased repaints that were shown as the cross-sells on the packages of the TRU exclusives? The Oil Slick repaint and the black Swindle are meh, but the black Blurr looks really good and who doesn't want a Wasp (Botcon being Botcon might even do the new head that Hasbro wasn't going to do). Oh, there were unreleased Voyager repaints too. Gold Grimlock which was meh and Thundercracker which everyone wants.

10. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see wasp and thundercracker popping up wasp could even be from the hdbb mold and could even be used twice (as a stuntcon as well)

As for the box set i can easily beleive a magnus recoloured motormaster but just as easily be sold on a wingblade prime or wreckgar repaint so we will have to see

I definatley agree on the souveneir sets being autobots though and the autotrooper 3 pack sounds more than likeley i could definatley see hound, slipstream, kup, springer and lots from both the soundwave annd sentinel prime molds brawn,blaster, perceptor and trailbreaker being a possiblity perhaps bawn could be repainted as gears as the attendee exclusive maybe they could even do cyclonus from the seeker mold and galvatron and scourge from the cyb megs deluxe and voyager molds but thats a hell of a lot of figure specualtion too much for them to possibly do lol

But dont do s3 characters botcon or ill want to buy them :(  lol

This image makes me think Perceptor would be pretty cool though
    [​IMG]

11. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope for Thundercracker, Ramjet, and Slipstream.

I like the idea of Brawn from Soundwave and Hound from Swindle too. Kup from Cybertron mode deluxe Prime should be a no brainer as well. So should metal Ironhide as an attendee freebie.

12. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Well I would love to see Ramjet, Thundercracker and ofc some Autotroopers :D 

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since when did Autotroopers become so popular? I had to look up who the hell they were. No memory of them.

14. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ofcourse they could just do the protectobots a la whitemoacha to fight the stunticons they could even do wingblade prie for both motormaster and hotspot and use there backpacks to represent there combined modes

[​IMG]

15. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    I think it was kind of a stupid move to give us the Stunticons when we've got so many EXISTING characters to choose from. I don't want Fun Pub's little fanfic characters I want Wasp or one of the billions of cameo characters.

It seems like such a wasted opportunity. :) 

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy the it. But Compared to Past years this falls more flat on me than '09's set :( 

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    You're not getting "fanfic" characters, you're getting new characters that were picked and designed with the help of DJW, meaning they're canon. You'll also be getting a comic that adds onto the TFA universe.

Just because there's existing characters that don't have toys yet doesn't make it bad to add NEW characters to the universe.

17. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I know, right? That's like saying you don't want knew characters in Season 4, because they didn't exist before that. It's all from DJW and Marty Isenburg.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Just remember that FP only does toys that Hasbro won't consider doing. If FP does it, there's no way you'll ever see it at retail.

19. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Fun Pub needs to take a look at this.