Botcon 2011 Exclusive Wildrider

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, Jun 8, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Wildrider, the Stunticon's Director, uses the same mold as Blazing Lockdown. He is the second Stunticon member to be included in the Botcon 2011 Stunticon Box Set, and I got the review for it right here.

Wildrider

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: Part of me is glad that Wildrider didn't use the Rodimus mold, like the Gentei version did... because that mold wouldn't suit the character. Wildrider always seemed more like a Destruction Derby car anyway, and Lockdown is the perfect choice. There aren't any weird colors to invade the sleek matte colors. I do have one problem with it. I've never owned a Blazing Lockdown, so I'm not exactly sure how the chainsaw works. Does it not fold away? If it's meant to stay out permanently, that's just crap. Otherwise, the rest of it is fantastic.

[​IMG]

<strong>Robot Mode</strong>: Here's the thing, while I love this toy's alt mode... I'm really not a big fan of its unorthodox robot mode. Wildrider is lanky, and riddled with problems that came from the original mold. I know it costs a lot to retool parts, but I'm disappointed that they didn't fix Wildrider's stupid wrists. My figure also has incredibly loose joints; nothing a little =http://www.cooksux.com/2010/12/13/ultrafix/]nail polish[/url] can't fix though. The new head mold reminds me of Blitzwing, and I like it. The muted color scheme is a great choice; not only for this character, but for the entire set.

[​IMG]

Overall: Of all the Stunticons, Wildrider has the best alt mode. I really don't know what to think of this figure. I really love what Fanspub has done with this toy to make it what it is... but the mold itself still sucks. It's a shame, because the new head and color scheme is really nice.

(For more pics and reviews: The Rabbit Haul)

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Is it me or is Wildrider doing ballet on the first picture? Anyways, I LOVE the head sculpt, but those wrists are annoying. Still need to get this set at a resonable price.

3. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love this dude. I loved the whole set already, but that script reading... oh man. Made every character 100X better.

4. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not ballet... but making a heart ;) 

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Yeah, sorry dude, the chainsaw is meant to be permanently deployed. You could keep tabbing it in and out, but it'll probably wear out the friction joint over time.

6. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's probably trying out for next season's "Dancing with the Stars". ;) 

Wildrider looks really good, all of this year's Botcon toys seem excellent. Too bad I missed out...again! Maybe 2012... :) 

7. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Either you’re out of my way, or you’re out of luck !
    Making things explode spectacularly is an art form to Wildrider. He is always brainstorming bigger, badder, louder, and more dangerous looking stunts, and he’s got the processing power to coordinate them flawlessly. The Stunticons execute them without a scorch mark, but woe to anyone behind them. Now that he’s got a phlogiston-reactor flamethrower and a chaos-crystal-edged chainsaw in both robot and vehicle modes, there’s lots of new carnage to spread around.

Prelude: Wildrider is a repaint of Animated Lockdown, or rather Blazing Lockdown (because of the different weapon). So this review here will focus mainly on the differences between the figures.

Robot Mode: Wildrider is the tallest of the Stunticons and one of the tallest Deluxe-class figures overall. Seeing as his legs consist almost of the entire length of his car mode, that his hardly surprising. He retains the build of Lockdown, of course, being very tall, but thin. His paint job is mostly (painted) grey with red and silver highlights, a close match to the paint job of the original G1 Wildrider. He has both weapons of the Blazing Lockdown figure, the EMP reactor (which, of course, also fits on the Animated Ratchet figure) and the chainsaw.

A new head mold was used for Wildrider, though this one has as little resemblance to the G1 robot’s rather generic humanoid face as Lockdown’s noggin’ does. Still, I like the new head with the red face, the serious underbite and the raised-eyebrow expression he’s got. Okay, I don’t particularly see the master planner in that face, but it looks great regardless.

Sadly the one major flaw the Lockdown figure had persists here; the hands still can’t flip out fully, leaving his hands always at an angle to his forearm. Would it have been that difficult to fix this for the Botcon release? Well, it hasn’t been. It’s not a big thing, but it would have elevated this guy from great to near-perfect. Still, a very nice robot with a great new head. No complaints except for the wrist thing.

Alternate Mode: No changes here, Wildrider transformers into the same kind of pimped-out monstrosity Lockdown does, basically the Batmobile on crack. The coloor scheme was taken faithfully from G1 Wildrider, a grey car with red-tinted windows. The car features some highlights in black, silver, and red. Just like Blazing Lockdown, Wildrider can bring his chainsaw to bear here, too, and of course the barrels of the engine block / EMP generator can flip out for long-range firepower as well. So bottom line: still a nice car mode, no real changes from the original figure.

Remarks: In the Botcon 2001 comic story “The Stunti-Con Job” Wildrider was the director of the Motormaster Stunt Convoy, a cover operation for a Decepticon attempt to break Megatron out of jail. He’s also an explosions expert and loves to blow things up in spectacular fashion. So basically he’s the Michael Bay of the Animated universe. Need more proof? The plot of the Stunt Convoy Show basically amounted to a damsel (Dragstrip/Carly) being threatened by bad guys (Stunticons/Decepticons), to be saved by a fumbling hero (Toxitron/Sam). I can totally see that as a Michael Bay movie, only with less plot and more explosions. Oh, and brownie points for the G1 Easter egg in the form of the chaos-crystal-edged chainsaw.

What else can I say? While I wouldn’t call Wildrider the best figure of the set, I love his new head mold and the scene where he yells at Cheetor for ruining the rehearsal in the Botcon comic was just hilarious. If you want just one of the Botcon Sunticons, Wildrider wouldn’t be at the top of the list for me, but as part of the whole set he’s definitely worth your while.

Rating: B+

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought Wildrider was going to be my least favorite in the set but it turns out he is one of my favorites.