Botcon 2011 Exclusive Thundercracker

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, Jun 7, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Anyone remember the Action Masters? As a child, I was a hardcore Transformers fan... that is until Micromasters came out. I was getting a little older, and I kept up with it but didn't think they were as cool as the original stuff. I understood that brands change, but it had changed drastically. It wasn't until the Action Master line hit the shelves that I threw my hands up and said... TMNT looks pretty cool. It was a toy line full of Transformers that didn't transform. Sure they were loaded with weapons that Transformed... but no matter how much I wrapped my head around it; I couldn't accept Bumblebee being the same size as Devastator. Shattered Glass Thundercracker uses the same color scheme as his Action Master counterpart, and Funpub repainted Classics Starscream to fit the bill for the Botcon 2011 packaged with Shattered Glass Galvatron. Here is a review of Shattered Glass Thundercracker.

Shattered Glass Thundercracker

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: Thundercracker is polluted with offensive colors, but that's exactly the point. This is one of those situations where the robot mode was the focus of the paint deco, and the alt mode suffers for it. Sure it maintains the integrity of being downright weird... I don't think the clashing colors are cohesive. It's weird logic, but it makes sense to me. The only traces of paint on this mode is the green splotches next to the cockpit; and these are definitely messy on my toy. Otherwise it's the same toy.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: The color scheme matches the original figure pretty perfectly... except I could have sworn that the purple should have been more bluish. I'm sure people will agree with me, that this color scheme really makes the figure look and feel like a poor "Chinatown Knock Off" [Seth Buzzard]. It doesn't help that the paint apps are done pretty poorly in this mode either. I will give props to Shattered Glass Thundercracker for having tight sockets for his guns; unlike Henkei Thundercracker. The right fist on mine is incredibly loose, and I'm wondering if it's just suffering from mold degradation.

[​IMG]

Overall: I'm not going to lie... as great as the Classics Starscream mold is... it's just not as good as it used to be. It was great for its time, but it's just getting old. Maybe it's because the mold is short, or that it was repainted a billion times... I don't know what it is; but I'm tired of it. That being said, I don't know what the draw of it is. Perhaps I like the fact that it's kitschy... or perhaps I like the fact that it's an homage. Either way, not everyone will like it. While I'm glad it wasn't the Botcon 2010 Attendee freebie... I'm definitely not glad that I had to pay some major bucks to get it along with another toy that I don't want. This toy definitely has its followers... and if you're not one of them, consider yourself in the clear.

(For more pics: The Rabbit Haul)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    First off, I mean no disrespect when I say this but,

IMO, I think you should post your reviews here on TFW2005.

clicking links to see your reviews just isn't right.

Post them here, that's why this forum exists.

This is TFW2005, not "advertise your own blog/site/click elsewhere to see something to advertise yourself" kinda site.

you do this with every review you post just to promote your own blog/site (which to my recollection is against site policy)

3. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Judging from TC's head, HasTak's finally found a gold paint to rival their trademark Hasbro Silver. Looking forward to seeing it on mass releases.
    Also, this. Please just post them here.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You know, the colors aren't as gross as I previously thought they'd be. They "work" better on this mold than the original AM.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, homage or not that toy just looks ridicules :lol 

6. C-109

C-109 Targetmaster

This is by far the ugliest transformer I've ever seen. Even factoring nostalgia, I cannot understand, in the slightest, the appeal of this thing.

And I agree with GAUGE001, you should really post your review in the thread rather than make us click to your site. Maybe post the review here and then add a link to your site for more pictures or something if you need the backlink that bad, but using TFW to boost your site stats isn't cool if your not giving us anything of real value other than a link.

7. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I almost wanted one, but passed, especially with the price tag and how much trouble selling Galvatron is...

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity how much were the exclusives going for this year? I heard they were crazy expensive?

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    It's so bizarrely awful, that it gets a certain appeal...

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    $89 for two of the sets, $92 for the Autotroopers (I think).

But it's awesome, the colours are face-meltingly horrific. Love it to pieces. Uses the Generations mold as well so no mold degradation! :D 

11. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You got it in reverse, the SG crew was $92.

12. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Agreed.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Bingo

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Link removed per TFW rules: website advertising prohibited.

15. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While the TFA set this year is my favorite set yet, and all toys and comic related to it completely boss, this figure is truly my favorite souvenir of BC2011. I don't have or care for SG, so he is going to hang out with my 2010 set and be awesome. DAT GOLD HEAD just is icing on the delicious berry flavored cake.

Attached Files:

16. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My bad, I didn't know that was the case (should read the rules). I'll fix this. Thanks

17. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    This sucker melts my brain...it had to be mine. Luckily one of my buds went to the con and was happy to pick a set up for me.
    Goes well with Toxitron.

18. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    When I first saw pics of the alt mode... yes it seems like there should be more paint on it... but then I realized there really wasn't anything to add. There are also paint apps on the edges of all the wings/tailfins for decoration/lines and the only thing that really could be added is faction symbols to the wings.

But I'm glad they're not added so that he can more easily be used as SG Thundercracker or as a Thundercracker in the "purple Decepticon symbol" universe fairly easily. No huge faction symbols to ignore either way... just the small one on his arm.

So I don't think there's any paint that should be changed on the alt mode.

19. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    This is simply my new favorite transformer. I'm sorry, G2 Hooligan, Classics Mirage, FP Warbot, and MP Grimlock. There's a new king in town. And that king is just garish!

20. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    I'll just leave this here ;) 

[​IMG]