Botcon 2011 Exclusive The Motormaster

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

I admit that I was in the camp that was against using the Voyager Optimus Prime mold as The Motormaster. Sure he was a big-rig truck in G1 as well, but he was always a fatso to me. FunPub really didn't have much of a choice, since it was either this mold or Wreck-Gar. Honestly, Wreck-Gar's mold would have just looked stupid as Motormaster. The Motormaster's character is an homage to Macho Man Randy Savage, and somehow manages to pull it off. Here is a review of the fifth and last member of the Botcon 2011 Stunticons; The Motormaster.

The Motormaster

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: Though The Motormaster doesn't come with his signature trailer, it's all good because the axe is a good substitute. The Motormaster is a black repaint of Optimus Prime, like Black Convoy. The color choice for this figure is fantastic, though I wish the light bars were removed on this character as well.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: First things first, The Motormaster has a new head. The earlier mock-ups made it look pretty ugly, but it looks pretty good in hand. I'm surprised that head can actually fit in that small cavity. The color scheme looks fricken awesome. The black, purple, and neon green smash perfectly in sync with each other on this figure. It just shows how great the Voyager Optimus Prime mold is the bee's knees. While the mold makes Optimus Prime look like a super hero; The Motormaster looks larger than life. Like Toxitron, The Motormaster also has a weird colored square on his shoulder.

[​IMG]

Overall: FunPub has proven me wrong with The Motormaster. Not only is he the largest figure and the leader of the Stunticons, he is also the best figure of the set. If you were to only get one Stunticon this year, The Motormaster is the one to get. I honestly thing, even among the other attendee exclusives, that this was the year's best release. I also wanted to touch on the Stunticons as a whole here. I originally disliked the fact that a small team would make up an entire exclusive box set, I now think it should be the standard. Sure the Stunticons don't combine into Menasor, but we never really saw too much gestalt action in Animated anyway. Besides Jetfire and Jetstorm, maybe that technology doesn't exist yet. Together, the colors feel a bit muted... which can be said about the original G1 figures as well. Either way, I love this year's box set and am not ashamed to admit it.

(For more pics and reviews: The Rabbit Haul)

2. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I sold my boxset, but I gotta admit the Motormaster's noggin is much nicer in person. I'm not too keen on the weapons with this guy. At least with Toxitron you can pretend the gun is a malfunctioning septic tank or something.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I agree on the head. Was really sceptical of the design at first, but I just can't stop touching the toy now :lol  Wait, that sounds wrong!

Definitely better than I thought, My second-favorite Botcon toy, rightafter Breakdown.

4. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You got good taste my friend. Breakdown and The Motormaster are the two best of the set.

5. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

'Well, look who's here! The old King of the Road! When I'm finished with ya, you'll be King of the Junkyard!' :D 

He does look alot better in these pics then he did in the sketches/stock photos I gotta admit. The purple legs aren't such an eye sore like they were in the drawing. I'm just glad to see Motormaster getting some love, it's been way too long since we got a decent representation of him.

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I love this rendition of motor master. While his alt mode may say prime, the robot mode with that big buff torso seems MADE for a macho-man 'stache. He looks like the kind of robot who spends all of his time flexing in a mirror. The black finish on this guy also looks phenomenal. He's probably tied with Dead End (I loooooooove the plastic color they used) for my favorite of the set, with Drag Strip coming in at a close second.

7. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aww man Dragstrip and him are so wicked, no Idea who I like better :S

8. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Like all Botcon figures, Motormaster (or rather THE Motormaster) is a repaint, in his case of Animated Voyager Optimus Prime. Seeing as it’s been three years since I reviewed that figure, plus the fact that I really like Motormaster, he gets a full review anyway, though the focus will, of course, be on the differences.

Robot Mode: Let’s get the one negative thing about this figure out of the way first: they didn’t give him a different weapon. Motormaster still carries that strange pseudo-axe thing Optimus had as well. It doesn’t look quite as out of place here as it did for Optimus, but still. At least you can give him the squirt gun, which looks more natural in the hands of a Decepticon, and just leave the axe thing aside.

Apart from that, Motormaster is the same excellent figure Optimus Prime was. The colors were changed, of course, as Motormaster appears mostly black and purple with some silver highlights thrown in, all very reminiscent of his G1 version, despite that figure having a lot more grey. And there is, of course, the new head. G1 Motormaster basically had a face sitting inside a square grey box, so Animated Motormaster got a new head as well, as well as a big moustache. It looks hilarious and manages to make this figure look very different from Optimus, despite being near-identical.

I know a few fans were upset that Motormaster was repainted from Optimus Prime and not Animated Wreck-Gar, but I honestly don’t see a problem with it. A great-looking robot, a cool new head, a sharp paint job. Now if only they’d replaced that weapon... but apart from that: no complaints at all.

Alternate Mode: Naturally Motormaster transforms into the same kind of truck Optimus does and, seeing as the new head isn’t visible in this mode, the colors are the only difference. This time, of course, Motormaster is just a truck without a trailer, unlike his G1 incarnation which had the trailer built in. This might be a blessing in disguise, though, if the rumours about a third-party trailer with all the necessary parts for forming Animated Menasor should turn out to be true, but I digress. A good-looking truck mode, which can be enhanced by the axe-thing transforming into a kind of mini-trailer. No complaints.

Remarks: Animated Motormaster’s sole in-media appearance to date is in the Botcon 2011 comic book, titled “The Stunti-Con Job”, set directly after the series finale of Animated. He and his Stunticons posed as Autobots and their show was to be a cover for breaking Megatron out of prison. Thanks to Autobot policebots Sideswipe and Cheetor, plus some help from Optimus Prime himself, they failed and ended up sharing cells with the other Decepticon prisoners. Though he had but a few lines in the comics, it sufficed to portray him as the self-absorbed ego-maniac we remember from his G1 days. Very nicely done.

Being both a G1 and Animated fanatic, I was, of course, ecstatic when I heard about the Stunticon Botcon set and there was never a question that I would buy it. I don’t have a special favourite among the five figures, though I have to say that I love the cheesy moustache they painted on Motormaster, as well as his habit of always referring to himself as “The Motormaster”. Add to that the fact that Voyager Optimus Prime from Animated was a first-rate figure to begin with, and you have a winner. I’d have given him a straight A if he’d come with an improved axe.

Rating: A-