Botcon 2011 Exclusive Sideswipe

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, Jun 3, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Last year, for Botcon 2010′s customization class (which I still have for sale), Funpub brought G2 Sideswipe back into fashion. Packaged with Botcon 2011 exclusive Toxitron is Sideswipe; sporting the G2 color scheme. Sideswipe is a repaint of Animated Deluxe Rodimus and sports Breakdown’s brand new head.

Sideswipe

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: For Rodimus, the clear blue windshield worked well. For Sideswipe, I can't say that his clear plastic windshield does. Something about that windshield looks a little cheesy, especially since I wish it used a clear green plastic instead. When I opened my figure, I found Sideswipe staring at me through the roof. Besides that, the color scheme is resembles G2 Sideswipe. At the end of the day though, there really isn't anything special with this mode. While the tampo'd graphics are nice, part of me wishes that there was an enormous Autobot sigil somewhere. Sure, I can just flip the engine over to reveal the shield... but that's not what I want.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: Say what you will about the Rodimus figure, but it really is one of the best molds that was made for the line. Do I like it as Sideswipe? It works. The G2 color scheme works better in this mode than it does in alt mode, but it does seem pretty boring. I can live with Sideswipe using the new Breakdown head, since Animated is so stylized anyway. I do find my head to be pretty loose on the neck joint though. Beyond that, there's nothing new to this figure. I'm assuming that the orange spot on the chest is supposed to be a police badge, so it would have been nice if there was added detail on it. Otherwise, something about the figure seems pretty cheap.

[​IMG]

Overall: I'm not sure where I stand with Sideswipe. I loved it when I first saw it in the Botcon showcase, but after getting it in hand I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fantastic figure. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed with it if you're a fan of Transformers Animated. Thankfully it comes packed with Toxitron, so you won't be losing out on getting this package. Sideswipe does sit pretty low on the Botcon 2011 exclusive list of greatness... but that doesn't say much since they're all pretty rad.

(For more pictures and reviews: The Rabbit Haul)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice, thanks for the great pic!

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

GOD DAMNIT. As a Side/Streaker fan, I'm miffed I can't pick this one up without dropping cash like whoa.
    [​IMG]

4. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Not bad.

5. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hopefully this set ends up being the "affordable" one. This has just reached must-have status with me (despite the meh review).

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I stared at this picture for like, five minutes, before I released what the hell the thing was doing.
    Winning. That's what he's doing.

Anyways, I WANT THAT SIDESWIPE. But I could do without Toxitron... eh.

7. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

Love it, one of my favourite recent molds for one of my all time favourite Autobots, truthfully I don't know if I'll ever get around to owning one but I sure can dream.

8. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    At first I was hoping for a slavish G1-color scheme for the somewhat-inevitable Sideswipe repaint using the Brakedown head. I warmed up to the G2 deco for a while (maybe they just don't want two red cars using this mold?). I just wish the badge shaped deco on the hood had some detail, it just looks like "it's there" and that's it.
    Pro tip: If you don't want to see his face in alt mode due to the clear windows, just reverse it.

Despite the lack of outlines around his eyes. I kinda like him. He has this gruff and old frustrated face like he's going "What the slag?!" to Cheetor or something. The comic reading helped made me enjoy his hardboiled detective character.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    This was actually the biggest surprise for me. Normally I dislike anything remotely related to G2 but this one did me right.

I actually don't mind the clear windshield and windows as it breaks up the black very nicely. I just turn his head around so he's not peering through the windshield in alt mode.

I also appreciate the fact that the tampo on the doors are a unique design as opposed to, say, spelling out "G2 Sideswipe."

10. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Like this one a little less than all the other Botcon toys. I think the mold/head can work for Sideswipe, but since I'm not that familiar with his G2 color, it just doesn't really feel like Sideswipe to me.

I would have preferred to see him in G1 colors because of that. Now it's just a bot that vaguely resembles him in a colorscheme I don't know. He's still cool, but the others are just so much better. :) 

11. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haha yah, I just mentioned it cause it was funny when I first opened it, Sideswipe was clearly staring at me. Otherwise, turning the head around is a simple fix ;D. Otherwise, I think they were saying in the TFCC panel that the symbols on the side was Cybertronian for SS. Deliberate decision by DJW.

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    It is? That's pretty awesome on his part. I think it would've looked more tacky (read: G2 :p ) if it was SS.

13. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    any chance i can get a closeup of the head? im not sure i want to buy it... never got a good pic of the head

14. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This, Fisitron, and Minerva are my favorites from this year's toys. Sooo awesome.

Of course it would -- that's what was on the original G2 'Swipe's doors. But G2-tacky is a GOOD thing. :p 

Derrick was adamant that no Earth letters be used on him, and with good reason. Lanny used the Cybertronian character, then mirror-flipped one to make a more visually-appealing deco. I think it works superbly. :thumb 

15. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Snagged one for about $75 on eBay a few days back and got it today. I squealed like a little girl with a new Barbie. If anyone had a custom Animated Sunstreaker, raise a holler. I needs it.

16. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I love every exclusive from this year (except galvatron, just don't care about SG, and Thundercracker is action master goodness on my 2010 G2 shelf, ignoring the SG part) Sideswipe has really grown on me. He was probably the one I was least enthused about getting, but he is great. Deco is sweet. And he was great in the comic and script reading. Just great to have him after getting his character fleshed out. He's a reason to pick up Cheetor as well, they go awesome together with the autotroopers arresting some stunticons.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Is it just me or does anyone else think his face looks weird? I have to admit this is one of the few Animated molds I actually like but that face just does not fit. Other that he looks really good overall, paint scheme looks really well done and it's a great mold for a G2 Sideswipe homage.

18. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads up! I might just be tempted to get the original G2 Sideswipe now! :D  Not the crazy expensive Botcon 2010 un-assembled Sideswipe from the Classics mold, thou.

19. CookSux

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why not? I got one for sale :) 

20. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Remarks: Sideswipe is a repaint of Animated Rodimus Minor and uses the same new head mold as his Botcon 2011 mate Breakdown, so just some quick words on the differences here.

Sideswipe’s paint job here is a homage to G2 version of the character, which was mostly black with some bright green, red and white highlights. Animated Sideswipe here has rather faithfully brought that paintjob into the 21st century, the only difference being the big white spoiler in car mode (G2 Sideswipe was a Lamborghini Countach with just a very small, black spoiler) and the lack of silver feet in robot mode (they’re just black here). Other than that, a great homage.

Sideswipe was the main character in the Botcon 2011 comic book, the Autobot cop who figured out the Stunticons’ plan to break Megatron out of prison. Many thanks to my good buddy Caked-Up aka James, who got this figure for me in order to pay for his “rent” (he was staying on my couch for a week during his visit in Germany). Very much appreciated. A great figure, worth the price of a convention exclusive.

Rating: A-