Botcon 2011 Exclusive SG Galvatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CookSux, Jun 6, 2011.

1. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

In 2008, Funpub introduced the Shattered Glass universe to our fandom… and they’re still making toys for them. Megatron in the Transformers Club Comic ended up sharing the same fate as our universe’s Optimus Prime… and got rebuilt (by Nexus Prime) as Galvatron. Yeah… that’s cool and all but it’s a repaint of the Transformers Cybertron Evac mold.

Shattered Glass Galvatron

[​IMG]

Alt Mode: Of all the helicopter Transformers out there, I always considered the Evac mold to be the best of the bunch. While Galvatron gets a few interesting paint apps... it's easily the worst looking repaint of them all. I also don't understand why there is a small tampographed graphic, of an inside out Triforce, on the helicopter door. I wish there was more to say about this, but it's a repaint of a six year old [2005] toy.

[​IMG]

Robot Mode: Galvatron in robot mode is a straight repaint with no molding changes. This means that Galvatron has the same stupid face that Evac had. This might be fine for a character like Evac and Blades... but it doesn't scream Springer... much less Galvatron. That'd be the biggest knock I have against it. The face paint doesn't match the same gray plastic used on the rest of the figure too. The blood orange and black paint apps come few and far between the sea of purple on Galvatron's body. Besides that, you'll be getting the same type of articulation that plagues most Cybertron era toys.

[​IMG]

Overall: I don't understand why Funpub decided to go with this mold as the Shattered Glass Galvatron. On the TFWiki, it says that one of their designers repainted his Universe Springer into Galvatron... and that planted seeds. As a toy, it doesn't look heroic enough to lead the valiant Decepticons. The original Shattered Glass Megatron looked way more imposing as a figure. Instead of it being an upgrade, Galvatron actually feels like a downgrade. I'm not a huge fan of the Shattered Glass mythos to begin with, but I do like things here and there. Galvatron, as a character and a toy, just don't do much for me. I consider it to be the worst of this years convention attendee exclusives and will be trying to get rid of mine as soon as possible.

(For more pics and reviews: The Rabbit Haul)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  2. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review! Still can't wait to get mine.

EDIT: I agree that he could have used a new head, but I still think it looks decently similar to Galvatron. I definitely think this will be a must have for SG collectors, but could end up being a "pass" for a lot of others. Still, I'd argue its the best classics Galvatron mold out there (despite its imperfections).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This guy is hard to sell without Thundercracker. I'll say that now...

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Funny because I had a Prime custom-made ouf of that mold.

5. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny, I was thinking the opposite!

6. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    I don't care what anybody says, that mold is butt-ass-ugly as Galvatron.

Let's see: Evac, Blades, Springer, and now Galvatron. Blugh!!!!!!!! Let the mold rest in pieces already. :D 

7. ultramagnus69

ultramagnus69 GTL

I would love a third party upgrade kit for this with new head, arm cannon, shoulder and leg pads!

8. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually really love this mold. I feel that for the most part with out the copter bits on it that it basically screams Galvatron. The paints go a long way to making him look even more awesome. The head may not be a perfect match for his bio-card artwork but i think it bears more than a passing resemblance to Galvatron as is. I was dying to see this figure become a reality and I love that it finally is mine :) 

And I actually REALLY liked this mold as Springer too. I still contest to this day that Evac in Springer colors is better than the Botcon CDF Hot Shot repaint and the Warbot Defender.

9. Darknova4life

Darknova4life Well-Known Member

Galvatron is the only Botcon exclusive from this year that I find even remotely appealing. And thus, it's the only one I got.

10. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    According to his bio in the magazine, he's supposed to be able to use the tank cannon from SG Megatron, but I can't get it to attach. Yes I know the toys aren't meant to, but I thought there might be some unofficial way since they went out of the way to mention it in his profile.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I like him, and I do think this mold with this paintjob works as a heroic looking Galvatron, but the SG Megatron is definitely alot cooler, both in robot and alt mode. So yeah, it's a downgrade for me as well. Also think it's a slight shame they turned Megatron into Galvatron as 'fast' as they did, storywise.

12. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Before buying this, I didn't have any official SG toys (got a KO of Prime), so I didn't care too much about them being SG characters. I had to have Thundercracker to go with last year's G2 Redux set, and it was more cost efficient to buy him with Galvatron than without. But, for me, Galvatron can work as his normal self rather than his SG self (if you ignore the blue eyes, anyway). He's a better scale than the Energon toy (and has better articulation), and he's a better -toy- than the Universe pos, so by default, he works for me. I pegged Energon Rodimus' gun into his right arm (convenient peg placement!) and it's the right shape for Galvatron's particle cannon

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was wishfully thinking it clipped on his arm the same way it does SG Megatron, but it seems the "correct" way is to use the peg on Galvatron's hook arm, and the hole on top of the turret part of Rumbler.

See: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Galvatronsgcustom.jpg

14. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess I should at least add some of my own impression on the figure to this thread.

This guy is easily my favorite figure from the Botcon 2011 offerings. It's an old mold, but it still holds up really, really well next to the likes of Henkei Prime and Fansproject Protector. I think a lot of it has to do with the rich purple plastic and red highlights. I sort of wish it was darker in the cockpit, but the blue plastic used for the lightpiping is absolutely brilliant.

The only significant issue I've seen so far is the face molding; there appears to have been some mold degradation, and the right side of his face can look a little sloppy. There was even some extra plastic under his right eye that I felt compelled to scrape off. Ultimately, the grey paint on his face wasn't agreeing with me anyway, so I painted it silver. Huge improvement, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's a GREAT idea. Good thing I haven't sold off my Energon Rodimus yet!

16. Abrogate

News Credits:
    Speaking of

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, Rodimus' gun looks so good on Galvatron that it almost makes me want to buy this figure now. Almost.

18. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh snap, I gotta try that with Thunderclash's gun.

19. Abrogate

News Credits:
    TC's might make more sense if you're actually keeping him in the SGverse

20. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I tried it, and it doesn't look so good. It clashes against the purple, and looks out of place since the transparent blue on the figure it much lighter. Tis a shame.

[​IMG]

Rumbler doesn't like to stay on, and is a wee bit too large. Looks like my Galvatron will have to make do with his hook'n blades.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011